Oldies not catered for anymore

jessybell

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Going along happily doesn't necessarily signify a weakness. Going along happily may also mean just dealing with minor trivia. The fact that there are no card rooms, libraries, or ballroom dancing on some ships may be major issues for some, but not even noticed by others. I quite like a disposable paper menu, rather than one that has been handed around for weeks. Holidays are to enjoy, not to get stressed out by every little issue.

Where did I say it was a weakness, I'm sorry but I can't see anything suggesting that I consider you having a good holiday and not worrying is a weakness.  People complaining about card rooms, libraries, ballroom dancing etc have clearly not done their homework and have nothing to complain about either.

However I'd beg to differ that for some of these reports I'm reading (not me I wasn't affected) the app being in use across the entire P&O fleet appears to be causing the stress and apart from crowd management on Iona and Arvia it seems a little irrelevant.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Where did I say it was a weakness, I'm sorry but I can't see anything suggesting that I consider you having a good holiday and not worrying is a weakness.  People complaining about card rooms, libraries, ballroom dancing etc have clearly not done their homework and have nothing to complain about either.

However I'd beg to differ that for some of these reports I'm reading (not me I wasn't affected) the app being in use across the entire P&O fleet appears to be causing the stress and apart from crowd management on Iona and Arvia it seems a little irrelevant.

We have been on a few P&O cruises since let out. 6 in fact. Not gone hungry or thirsty, been in queues of any significance, we got entertained and booked stuff on the app. We enjoyed every moment. I am sure if we wondered around the ship examining things, something would show up...I lie. There were no decaf teabags one day. I asked the man and he got some and a few for the cabin. Some folk seem to have their fair share of issues, some have none. Perhaps we are just lucky.🤔

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Hope you have a great time. Sadly my recent 35 night cruise on P&O Ventura was one problem after another. P&O changed my cabin the day before departure, sadly it seemed that I was the only one aware of it as cards outside the cabin for entry and general use were someone else's, the dining arrangements were also someone else's. I had paid £399 for an Ultimate Celebration package and it took me 17 days to get it sorted properly. We got four cases that were obviously the persons luggage that were originally given our cabin. My wife was ill for a few days and I wasn't 100% for all of the cruise although when I arrived at Southampton I was fine. But the number of fellow passengers with hacking coughs was considerable. There were cases of Covid and Noroviris onboard  and I had to visit the medical services due to a swollen leg/foot which meant out of about 8 pairs of shoes I took with me I could only get one pair on and ended up buying another pair when we reached land. All of which were made worse by continually queuing everywhere. New Orleans which was where we went through immigration took three and a half hours, some people lost most of the day although it was adverised as a two day stop. Bermuda which was an overnight stay was ruled out due to weather conditions, though I dispute that as it was four days before we were due to arrive there and Key West had been removed from the itinerary some months prior to the cruise.  Truly about 10 days before disembarkation I couldn't wait to get off the ship.  

Not sure how you can blame P&O for your swollen leg or the immigration process in The Big Easy, but hey ho.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Guest ccpm
19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have been on a few P&O cruises since let out. 6 in fact. Not gone hungry or thirsty, been in queues of any significance, we got entertained and booked stuff on the app. We enjoyed every moment. I am sure if we wondered around the ship examining things, something would show up...I lie. There were no decaf teabags one day. I asked the man and he got some and a few for the cabin. Some folk seem to have their fair share of issues, some have none. Perhaps we are just lucky.🤔

Good for you. I have done 12 since it opened up I liked some more then others (Iona, Ventura, Britannia) managed OK with the tech I am 69. I have been lucky there have been things I didn't like I suppose akin to your example of decaff tea bags. BUT report back when you do have a problem that matters to you. I would have never coped with a noisy cabin or the appointments made and no-one attending like MegaBear did. Nor would i have shrugged off my cabin being flooded at 1am reported and no one bothering about it despite multiple calls to reception as my neighbours did. They came and settle in my cabin eventually. People do have problems I for one am happy to read about them. Yes some folks just want the money. Me I like to know what might occur and how it was dealt with.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

No stress o9n Iona, apart from getting used to it the first day. no one on board even talked about it. Have you not heard that apart from the two big ones its use has been dropped for MDR’s and entertainment.

• Like 3

Guest ccpm
35 minutes ago, daiB said:

No stress o9n Iona, apart from getting used to it the first day. no one on board even talked about it. Have you not heard that apart from the two big ones its use has been dropped for MDR’s and entertainment.

Personally I like the app and at 69 find it easy to use. BUT although Iona is Arvias sister ship and I was on board when she was full to bursting last cruise (I think 6090 staff said) the app didn't play up or go down. However what it said on the screen was not actually the case in my experience of the glasshouse and keel and cow. At lunchtime there was always one in the queue and yet when I added myself there was still one. After 30 minutes there was still one and i could see the venue from where I was sitting completely empty. I trotted round and got a table straight away. I say use it but don't rely on it just go and ask as we did before all they can say is no.

52 minutes ago, daiB said:

Have you not heard that apart from the two big ones its use has been dropped for MDR’s and entertainment.

Does that mean we can just rock up at the theatre on Britannia like the good ole days?

Andy 

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Does that mean we can just rock up at the theatre on Britannia like the good ole days?

Andy 

It is used on Britannia as well as the big ones. Not necessary on the rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Personally I like the app and at 69 find it easy to use. BUT although Iona is Arvias sister ship and I was on board when she was full to bursting last cruise (I think 6090 staff said) the app didn't play up or go down. However what it said on the screen was not actually the case in my experience of the glasshouse and keel and cow. At lunchtime there was always one in the queue and yet when I added myself there was still one. After 30 minutes there was still one and i could see the venue from where I was sitting completely empty. I trotted round and got a table straight away. I say use it but don't rely on it just go and ask as we did before all they can say is no.

I never used the app for the glasshouse at lunch. I went there sat and ordered a drink and then asked If I could see the menu. no problem. If the venue is quiet i dont think the app is needed.

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I will find out in a month although as we are in set dining we would not be using the app very much. I saw the announcement a few weeks ago but as we willn be on set dining on all our cruises apart from the big 2, In did not fully take it in. I don’t go to the theater so my OH books what she wants before we sail. Her experience of the late show (22.30) is that it is never full on any ship.

Edited by daiB
  • Like 1

This topic (especially the title) reminds me of decimalisation. 

I was waiting in a queue with my grandma. Some older ladies were behind be grumbling about 'new money'. One of them said 'why can't they wait until us old 'uns die off''. Even as a 10 year old that had me scratching my head as to how that would work! There wasn't a huge gap of 20 years after they were born in babies arriving!

New things have to be introduced at some time or other. And not all new things work at first. I'm sure that we can all think of new tech that struggled, wasn't perfect or was just downright dangerous that now works fine.

• Like 3

Guest ccpm
24 minutes ago, daiB said:

I never used the app for the glasshouse at lunch. I went there sat and ordered a drink and then asked If I could see the menu. no problem. If the venue is quiet i dont think the app is needed.

No I agree but the app is sold as the way to go. I was just trying to show by all means use it put yourself in the queue but keep an eye out. You did what you had always done great it worked but at some point they are going to get the app front and foremost or why are they bothering  or taking the cost of introducing it.

Back in my real job it was ordering your prescription on line was an alternative. Now 12 years on it is the only way if you do not have internet etc you have to physically go in and order as they do not do orders over the phone. Not the same in all GP practices but yes in many.

6 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

My Horizon was certainly available on an app on my phone.  The photo library.  Easy enough to take a photo of each page for the day, certainly when in port and want a copy of the emergency contact info.

Wow! I couldn't get it on Iona or Arvia! I'll try on Britannia next week. Thanks 🙂

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

But if something actually goes wrong, you'd provide feedback about it?

For example, as I reported on this forum a couple of weeks ago, I stayed at Warner's Bembridge for the week 15th to 22nd May.  I had confirmation from Warner's that my return ferry crossing was booked for 22nd May, but when I got to the ferry terminal I wasn't allowed in, as Warner's had erroneously booked me on a ferry for 19th May.

Fortunately, for me, I sorted it out quite quickly, as I phoned Wightlink and they were able to put me on the next available crossing, 2 hours later.

However, as Warner's had made a mistake I felt I had to provide feedback about their error.

To be honest, it was a bit of a pain, as I had to scour the Warner website to find out the best way to contact them, and then write War and Peace, in order to give them full details.

But I felt it was necessary, so that I could make them aware of the issue, which could have had  other outcomes than just a two hour delay.

I received an apology, and the explanation that it was human error. I did not ask for or expect money - but they have refunded me with the ferry fare of £60, which I thought was decent of them.

However, having to make the effort to give them feedback is a bit of a nuisance, but unfortunately it is sometimes needed.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

But if something actually goes wrong, you'd provide feedback about it?

For example, as I reported on this forum a couple of weeks ago, I stayed at Warner's Bembridge for the week 15th to 22nd May.  I had confirmation from Warner's that my return ferry crossing was booked for 22nd May, but when I got to the ferry terminal I wasn't allowed in, as Warner's had erroneously booked me on a ferry for 19th May.

Fortunately, for me, I sorted it out quite quickly, as I phoned Wightlink and they were able to put me on the next available crossing, 2 hours later.

However, as Warner's had made a mistake I felt I had to provide feedback about their error.

To be honest, it was a bit of a pain, as I had to scour the Warner website to find out the best way to contact them, and then write War and Peace, in order to give them full details.

But I felt it was necessary, so that I could make them aware of the issue, which could have had  other outcomes than just a two hour delay.

I received an apology, and the explanation that it was human error. I did not ask for or expect money - but they have refunded me with the ferry fare of £60, which I thought was decent of them.

However, having to make the effort to give them feedback is a bit of a nuisance, but unfortunately it is sometimes needed.

Did you enjoy Cricket st Thomas ?.

Significant issues should always be reported. You were right to let them know. We have found Wight link to be quite helpful.  We were at Bembridge just before lockdown. Some sailings to Portsmouth were being cancelled, or postponed due to a storm. We jumped the gun and wightlink changed us to Yarmouth. We heard that the Whitney Houston Tribute and her band were at Bembridge an extra 24 hours. They are quite happy to change the times around if they can.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daiB said:

I will find out in a month although as we are in set dining we would not be using the app very much. I saw the announcement a few weeks ago but as we willn be on set dining on all our cruises apart from the big 2, In did not fully take it in. I don’t go to the theater so my OH books what she wants before we sail. Her experience of the late show (22.30) is that it is never full on any ship.

Same here Dai, set dining as freedom sounds like a faff for some nowadays... 

Andy 

22 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Significant issues should always be reported. You were right to let them know. We have found Wight link to be quite helpful.  We were at Bembridge just before lockdown. Some sailings to Portsmouth were being cancelled, or postponed due to a storm. We jumped the gun and wightlink changed us to Yarmouth. We heard that the Whitney Houston Tribute and her band were at Bembridge an extra 24 hours. They are quite happy to change the times around if they can.

We really liked Cricket St Thomas, the setting in the large grounds was lovely and we liked the Terrace Bar area in the old house. We’d go back to Bembridge and CST 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

We are in our mid to late 70s and find the app really good and enjoyed both Iona and Arvia. 

Yes people not adhering to the dress code is most annoying though.

Further to my previous answer above the one thing I found very annoying with the myholiday was people booking the entertainment and not going and not cancelling it. If you’re not going to go then cancel your booking so someone else can book. I understand now though on the smaller ships they are not having booking for the theatre anymore. Pity they don’t do that on Iona and Arvia, first to get there gets the seats, easy, peasey.

The other thing is, it would be handy if you could go to myholiday and see the day’s entertainment and not just those that you have to book for. Princess do it , why can’t P & O

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Hope you have a great time. Sadly my recent 35 night cruise on P&O Ventura was one problem after another. P&O changed my cabin the day before departure, sadly it seemed that I was the only one aware of it as cards outside the cabin for entry and general use were someone else's, the dining arrangements were also someone else's. I had paid £399 for an Ultimate Celebration package and it took me 17 days to get it sorted properly. We got four cases that were obviously the persons luggage that were originally given our cabin. My wife was ill for a few days and I wasn't 100% for all of the cruise although when I arrived at Southampton I was fine. But the number of fellow passengers with hacking coughs was considerable. There were cases of Covid and Noroviris onboard  and I had to visit the medical services due to a swollen leg/foot which meant out of about 8 pairs of shoes I took with me I could only get one pair on and ended up buying another pair when we reached land. All of which were made worse by continually queuing everywhere. New Orleans which was where we went through immigration took three and a half hours, some people lost most of the day although it was adverised as a two day stop. Bermuda which was an overnight stay was ruled out due to weather conditions, though I dispute that as it was four days before we were due to arrive there and Key West had been removed from the itinerary some months prior to the cruise.  Truly about 10 days before disembarkation I couldn't wait to get off the ship.  

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and hope you and your wife have recovered from the health problems. I have a future cruise booked on Ventura and would like to know what specific areas on board you encountered queuing. Thank you

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:20 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

Would certainly be helpful.  Hopefully save a bit on printing all those Horizons.  Just a short print run which can be left at Reception for those who require a paper copy.  I think it would also be helpful if you could also see the menus that day for the restaurants.  

Menus are posted on boards outside the restaurants., we'll that was our experience on Aurora in August  2022. On Saga menus are available on the in cabin TV.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rosy 2 cakes said:

Menus are posted on boards outside the restaurants., we'll that was our experience on Aurora in August  2022. On Saga menus are available on the in cabin TV.

I wish the menus were on the tv. The menus outside the restaurants on Iona were on a screen that took ages to get to the page and then continued much too quickly to see what was on it. Very frustrating. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 2:41 PM, 1160451 said:

Just back from a first time Princess Cruise round the UK.

We are in our early 70’s and are very computer and social media literate.

BUT….to prepare for the Princess Cruise was an absolute nightmare if you had never done it before.

Switching between the APP then Webb site to input and sort tickets, embarkation time, luggage labels and personnel information was difficult to understand.

On Board you had to use your smart phone to book things.

They even wanted you to order drinks on the APP then a waiter should find you by GPS.

That was a laugh.

We ditched it after three days and reverted to normal, which to be fair worked.

If P and O are following this then it’s a no no for us.

Hope the Balmoral next March is APP free 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I thought you didn’t need tickets etc. with Princess & that all you needed apart from your passport was your medallion…or have I got that wrong ?

Edited by Ranchi
Add a space between words.

28 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

I thought you didn’t need tickets etc. with Princess & that all you needed apart from your passport was your medallion…or have I got that wrong ?

In uk you don’t get the medallion until you embark. You have access to the App (as it is a proper App) once you have booked and most things are done from there including recently, booking shore excursions. Luggage labels are done from the Webb site. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ranchi said:

Hi. Sorry I phrased it badly.

I meant sorting out at the requirements Princess needed through the App.

We have been used to just adding passport details ect on other cruises which always seemed simple.

On Princess you have to add much the same via the App, then you have to go on line for Luggage Labels. Also choosing your Medallion. Choosing your time of embarkation. 

Then your given “line colour” for embarkation.

We could not access this.
Eventually had to ring Princess.
They sorted it out over the phone.

So in the end all we need at embarkation was passport and the App with our Coloured line with chosen time. 
If we cruised with them again I would hope to be able to breeze through it.

• Thanks 1