Gratuity charge on Specialty Dining Packages

atlantabri2

I know that tipping is a hot topic, but here goes...I was going to buy a specialty dining package at 35% off today until I got to checkout and a 20% gratuity was added to the cost.  We have done many Celebrity cruises, but I seem to remember that the upcharge was to cover the service cost and additional tipping was optional.  The 35% sale is not 35% off with a mandatory 20% gratuity added back in.  Do I not understand this correctly?  TIA.

14 minutes ago, atlantabri2 said:

I know that tipping is a hot topic, but here goes...I was going to buy a specialty dining package at 35% off today until I got to checkout and a 20% gratuity was added to the cost.  We have done many Celebrity cruises, but I seem to remember that the upcharge was to cover the service cost and additional tipping was optional.  The 35% sale is not 35% off with a mandatory 20% gratuity added back in.  Do I not understand this correctly?  TIA.

I believe you did the math correctly.

The tips used to be included in the quoted price but now a mandatory tip is added prior to purchase.

• Like 1

The mandatory gratuity on specialty dining was 1 of a number of changes that occurred earlier this year.  There is now a service fee of $9.95 + gratuity on all Room Service orders except for Continental  breakfast.  This applies to all cabin categories except suites.  There is also now a charge for a 2nd lobster tail on Evening Chic night

• Like 1

That gratuity to special dining was added in 2022. After we found that overall, dinner for two in Tuscan cost around $108 with our Elite discount, we decided to pass on all specialty dinning in the future except for Sushi on 5. 

• Like 2