Premium WI-fi questions

Minnie29

We have upgraded to the premium wi-fi for 1 device on our summer cruise on Silhouette. 
How does this work? Do you have a special code to enter for the premium Wi-Fi? Will the code be in the cabin or does it work automatically when you sign in bearing in mind only 1 of us has upgraded? 
Thank you

3 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

We have upgraded to the premium wi-fi for 1 device on our summer cruise on Silhouette. 
How does this work? Do you have a special code to enter for the premium Wi-Fi? Will the code be in the cabin or does it work automatically when you sign in bearing in mind only 1 of us has upgraded? 
Thank you

No need to do anything. You'll just have it once you connect.

Hmm. I paid for a voucher "on sale" that required both passengers to upgrade (app wouldn't let me select only one passenger). If I understand, I have to bring my device to the i- lounge or some such to activate the upgrade. Am I totally wrong on this? Also, if my phone is upgraded, can I use that as a hotspot for laptop, or is that a separate "device"? Thanks

If you purchase the basic or premium plan outright, once you board, connect to the ship's wi-fi and then a screen will open to create an account.  The wi-fi plan you pre-purchased is tied to a specific passenger so just make sure you enter that passenger's cabin number and details when you create the account.  The username and pin you create during that process is what you use to log in to the internet.  And if you use it on more than one device, it will just ask you if you want to log off the other device each time you try to log in to a different device.

A voucher may require doing something different to upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mjschutte said:

Also, if my phone is upgraded, can I use that as a hotspot for laptop, or is that a separate "device"?

Generally, no as most hotspots can only share a cellular connection, not a wi-fi connection.  But there are some exceptions to this depending on the device you are using and what you have set up.  It does not work with iPhones.

22 minutes ago, mjschutte said:

Hmm. I paid for a voucher "on sale" that required both passengers to upgrade (app wouldn't let me select only one passenger). If I understand, I have to bring my device to the i- lounge or some such to activate the upgrade. Am I totally wrong on this? Also, if my phone is upgraded, can I use that as a hotspot for laptop, or is that a separate "device"? Thanks

I have sailed 2x with the upgraded voucher...all I had to do was connect.

I'm not sure what you mean by "on sale", but if you mean the *real* on sale (i.e., $10 instead of $10/day) then that is what I used. I'm sure the other voucher (without the pricing mistake) works exactly the same. In fact, if you call X and ask what you have, they'll just say Premium.

There were some CC posts that indicated you needed to go to the iLounge, but myself - and others - who used the voucher didn't have to do anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjschutte said:

As others have said, you will automatically have the "free" premium Wi-Fi as one of your options when you first connect to the ship's Wi-Fi and after you establish your logon credentials.  The word "voucher" is a bit misleading as it suggests you have to present it to somebody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prmssk said:

Generally, no as most hotspots can only share a cellular connection, not a wi-fi connection.  But there are some exceptions to this depending on the device you are using and what you have set up.  It does not work with iPhones.

Yes no iPhone could do wifi sharing on hotspot, but ALL Pixel phones since 2018 could do it.   I think new Samsung phones could do it as well.   Windows 10 and 11 could also share wifi hotspot.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mattnday said:

Can you change device that is attached to the premium?

I am going to connect my phone to but would liek to use laptop occasionally also.

Yes, I regularly switch between a phone, tablet, and laptop. When you try to log on to the second device, it will ask you if you want to log off the first device (as only one device can be connected at a time). 

14 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Yes, I regularly switch between a phone, tablet, and laptop. When you try to log on to the second device, it will ask you if you want to log off the first device (as only one device can be connected at a time). 

Thank You - That is exactly what I have done on other cruise lines and am glad it will work with Celebrity as well. 

On both Premium and Basic you can change between unlimited devices simply by logging on using the new device.  You will be asked if you want to boot the other one off and when you respond Yes the new device is logged in.

I switch back and forth regularly. 

54 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

On both Premium and Basic you can change between unlimited devices simply by logging on using the new device.  You will be asked if you want to boot the other one off and when you respond Yes the new device is logged in.

I switch back and forth regularly. 

@Jim_Iain  have you shared your next planned cruises with us yet? 😊 

9 minutes ago, maggieq said:

@Jim_Iain  have you shared your next planned cruises with us yet? 😊 

Next  is going to be our first Non-Celebrity cruise.    We are doing a Trial Cruise on Ponant on September 11.    Will probably be doing a comparison on the Celebrity Forum.    It's a totally different small ship product so will be interesting.

• Like 1