Tipping on excursions

JRoyston

I like to think that by English standards I’m quite good at tipping, but I know it is a lot more important in America. Over here, we might give a small tip to person guiding an excursion, but it is very much optional, and no set amount/percentage.

In Alaska, what is the expectation for tipping generally on excursions? 
To further complicate matters, there are a couple of places where we have booked a private excursion directly with the owners of the company (Glacier Wind in ISP and Gallant Adventures in Sitka). As they are already getting the full amount from the booking, is there a different approach to tipping in those circumstances?

14 minutes ago, JRoyston said:

I like to think that by English standards I’m quite good at tipping, but I know it is a lot more important in America. Over here, we might give a small tip to person guiding an excursion, but it is very much optional, and no set amount/percentage.

I don't see a problem with this approach in the US. If you gave a little more, I think you would be fine.

As a single, I think I tipped $20 for Glacier Wind. Capt Casey was exceptional and we had a great tour that day. This was a 3.5 hour excursion. I later tipped $20 for a bear watching tour after.

In Skagway - we had a 7 hour tour into the Yukon in a van (Chilkoot Tours) and I think I tipped $30 as this was a longer tour.

I didn't take into affect who owned the company who doesn't. I know a lot of these companies/employees had difficult times in COVID where tourism was shut down. I guess I tipped on what the performance of the person leading the tour as opposed to who owns the company and who doesn't.

I am sure all tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

This is a good point, I hadn’t thought about tipping for our excursions.  On our last vacation we did tip tour providers, so it makes sense that we should consider tipping here as well.

thank you. 

Here's what Holland America recommends for the land portion of their Alaska cruise tours.

Driver-Guides: Up to US$10.00 per day for full day of touring
Tour Director: US$10.00 per guest, per day
Rail Team: Up to US$10.00 per guest, per full day

On 6/2/2023 at 12:41 PM, latebuyer said:

I was thinking of tippling 5.00 to driver and 5.00 for cruise director on a sitka 3 hour tour. Is that cheap? Not sure what they want on bering fisherman's tour.

Honestly, a lot of people do not tip.  I see it all the time. 

So, anything you give will be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 3

On 6/1/2023 at 3:58 AM, JRoyston said:

In Alaska, what is the expectation for tipping generally on excursions? 
To further complicate matters, there are a couple of places where we have booked a private excursion directly with the owners of the company (Glacier Wind in ISP and Gallant Adventures in Sitka). As they are already getting the full amount from the booking, is there a different approach to tipping in those circumstances?

My view on excursion tipping:

Only around half of the people tip on group excursions, with 15+ people.  I'd consider this truly optional.  If you choose to tip, $5 - $10 per person is in the normal realm, with $20 per person being very generous.  Personally, we tip $0 to $20 based entirely on service, with $10/pp being the norm.

On smaller, more private excursions, I would say that it's very different.  If you've chartered a tour guide, or boat, or something, I would say that tipping is the norm and expectation.  The tipping amount also increases; I'd say 5% of the excursion cost is on the low end, around 10%-15% is probably standard.  I've gone as high as 25% on these, but that was a special circumstance (four person boat, overly generous captain, lifetime experience, etc.).  If you're looking for a guideline, I'd say 10% is a good starting point.

But, neither of these are hard-and-fast rules.  For example, we do a flight/bear watching excursion that is $400/person, and includes both a flight and walking portion.  I don't think I've ever tipped a pilot (I actually worry that it would be insulting), but I'm not going to tip the walking guide $40/per person (~10% of the cost).  

As a final note, I'd highlight that tipping on excursions is different in the US than tipping on food, drinks, housekeeping, etc. where tipping is the norm and is expected.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, PatioTime said:

On an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver, would you take CAD as well as USD for tips? I'm thinking of the crew, would they be from Canada and prefer CAD?

Welcome to CC!

Most of the crew on main stream lines are not from US or Canada but more European and Asian countries.

Either would work but I would bring US currency as most ports on an Alaskan cruise, use US currency. If you have some left over Canadian currency you can use that as well.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PatioTime said:

On an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver, would you take CAD as well as USD for tips? I'm thinking of the crew, would they be from Canada and prefer CAD?

All of the large cruise vessels are registered in neither the United States nor Canada, and few crew are of those nationalities. Most of these recipients would look to rid themselves of Canadian funds. Unless spending those funds locally in Vancouver for some incidental expenses, the recipients of Canadian funds would incur transaction costs in converting Canadian funds into other more useful funds. A few small vessels serving Alaska are American flag, with American crew, but these vessels do not generally sail out of Vancouver. There are some Canadian flag vessels that sail out of Vancouver, with Canadian crew, the greatest number being those of British Columbia Ferries, but these vessels do not generally sail to Alaska. In sum, Canadian funds would be accepted as tips, and certainly you could rid yourself of leftover Canadian notes for which you, yourself, would not find useful. So do bring along whatever Canadian notes you might happen to having lying around at home. However, nearly all crew would prefer receiving American funds, a de facto universal currency in the western hemisphere and much of the rest of the world.

On 6/2/2023 at 1:41 PM, latebuyer said:

I was thinking of tippling 5.00 to driver and 5.00 for cruise director on a sitka 3 hour tour. Is that cheap? Not sure what they want on bering fisherman's tour.

I think this is appropriate for 2-4 hrs tour, more if full day. Sometimes the driver gets $5 and the tour guide gets $10.