Passport expiring within 6 months - from Europe, and cruise within Europe - issues?

24 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

That is a bit of a red herring.. it depends on your mode of transport, Ryanair will always look for a passport even just going between Ireland and the UK which have a common travel area. Legally you only need your Irish/uk driving license to travel between Ireland and the UK but Ryanair have required a passport for as long as I’ve used them. 
BTW if getting a passport for someone under 18 be prepared for all sorts of complications. One of my friends has been trying to renew the passports for her kids since January and one of them has been rejected twice despite the application having been filled out the exact same way for all 3. And these are not first passports for the kids either.  In Ireland the u18 passports are only valid for 3 years whereas the adult passports are valid for 10 years. 

It's not a red herring. A EU citizen can travel freely between the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The UK is not an EU country, so that rule does not apply. 

1 hour ago, MyriamS said:

It's not a red herring. A EU citizen can travel freely between the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The UK is not an EU country, so that rule does not apply. 

Yes, the UK is not an EU country but that's irrelevant as the UK and Ireland have a Common Travel Area arrangement that has been in place in one form or another for over 100 years, long before the creation of the EU.

Please read this for an explanation:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government-in-ireland/ireland-and-the-uk/common-travel-area-between-ireland-and-the-uk/

Among the relevant facts you'll find on the above site are:

"What is the Common Travel Area?

The Common Travel Area (CTA) is an arrangement between the United Kingdom (UK) and Ireland that gives a variety of rights to citizens of those countries. It includes more than the basic right to travel freely between both countries."

And: "Border control and the Common Travel Area

There are no routine passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the 2 countries.

However, you must show identification to board a ferry or an airplane, and some airlines and sea carriers only accept a passport as valid identification. "

And: 

"Brexit and the Common Travel Area

The UK’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) has not affected the rights of Irish citizens and UK citizens within the Common Travel Area. The right to live, work and access public services in the Common Travel Area is protected."

The page I quoted is about EU citizen rights specifically (https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm), so it is not about the Common Travel Area at all. 

The UK not being part of the EU is very relevant for EU law and citizen rights. While you may be able to travel freely from the UK to Ireland using a separate set of rules (the Common Travel Area), I have no experience with these rules and so won't comment on them. 

I have, however, travelled between multiple EU countries with multiple airlines with my French ID card and was never once asked for a passport. If anyone tells me that an airline (Ryanair or otherwise) requires passports for EU citizens on an intra-EU flight, I'll eat my hat. 🙂

On 5/31/2024 at 6:52 AM, MyriamS said:

The page I quoted is about EU citizen rights specifically (https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm), so it is not about the Common Travel Area at all. 

The UK not being part of the EU is very relevant for EU law and citizen rights. While you may be able to travel freely from the UK to Ireland using a separate set of rules (the Common Travel Area), I have no experience with these rules and so won't comment on them. 

I have, however, travelled between multiple EU countries with multiple airlines with my French ID card and was never once asked for a passport. If anyone tells me that an airline (Ryanair or otherwise) requires passports for EU citizens on an intra-EU flight, I'll eat my hat. 🙂

The pair of you missed the key phrase “mode of transport”… Ryanair insist on a passport regardless of what European countries you are travelling between. That is a specific requirement from that airline, other airlines/ferries/trains may not require a passport within the Schengen area. 

That's not what Ryanair themselves say:

https://help.ryanair.com/hc/en-gb/articles/12889174472721-What-do-I-need-to-check-in

With more details in their Terms and Conditions: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_368204930

To me it's pretty clear from the above that you can use your EU ID card for Ryanair flights within the EEA, but flying to and from the UK requires a passport. Can you follow all these rules and still get denied boarding by a gate agent? Probably yes, but the airline would be in the wrong, and I would file for compensation under EU law (https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm#deniedBoarding).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 11:33 PM, zqvol said:

Make sure you take both passports with you. When you get a new one the old one is supposedly canceled. Just because NCL took the number doesn’t mean that is valid for travel. 

Yes, good point - I took both with me, but showed the old (still in date) one for the reason of seeing would NCL accept it, which they did.  But on another occasion who knows.

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

Yes, good point - I took both with me, but showed the old (still in date) one for the reason of seeing would NCL accept it, which they did.  But on another occasion who knows.

They accepted the old one? Isn't it true that when you get the old one back after renewing that it shows it as cancelled? Hard to believe that they would accept a cancelled passport even if the expiration date was still valid? Am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

They accepted the old one? Isn't it true that when you get the old one back after renewing that it shows it as cancelled? Hard to believe that they would accept a cancelled passport even if the expiration date was still valid? Am I missing something?

Well, in Ireland, they don't look for your old passport back when issuing a new one.  As to whether the old one is technically valid until its original expiry date, I don't know.  But visually, it's still fine, as I found out with NCL!

2 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Well, in Ireland, they don't look for your old passport back when issuing a new one.  As to whether the old one is technically valid until its original expiry date, I don't know.  But visually, it's still fine, as I found out with NCL!

Since you did not note you were from Ireland, I am not blaming myself for missing you were not from the USA and asking the question that I did. If under the number of posts and when you joined, it had said Ireland, then I could have 🤦‍♂️ myself and answered my last question as to what I was missing.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Since you did not note you were from Ireland, I am not blaming myself for missing you were not from the USA and asking the question that I did. If under the number of posts and when you joined, it had said Ireland, then I could have 🤦‍♂️ myself and answered my last question as to what I was missing.

Of course, I understand.  Wasn't implying you made any mistake, was just clarifying my situation.  I had previously just said I was European. Thanks.

Edited by podgeandrodge
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Of course, I understand.  Wasn't implying you made any mistake, was just clarifying my situation.  I had previously just said I was European. Thanks.

OK, I looked back and see it is sort of implied in your original post and said more explicitly in a post a few days later on June 2nd. Since I had not read those posts since they were posted way before today, I am definitely not blaming myself for missing that context.

And I did not feel you were at all implying I had made a mistake, rather you were giving me as an answer the proper context.

• Like 1