Passport expiring within 6 months - from Europe, and cruise within Europe - issues?

So....my passport expires in September, and i've just read that NCL state 6 months validity required post cruise end.  Will I have an issue?  No problems travelling within Europe on this passport as Europe doesn't have a 6 month rule.  Appreciate hearing if anyone ran into this issue!  

Edit - ok, a bit less worried now, the page I read, written a bit unclearly, appears to be only for US cruises (though it also mentions EU cruises and non US citizens needing 6 months validity, I think it means if in the US).  My EDocs state:

Guests are responsible for ensuring they full all passport and visa requirements for
all countries visited during the cruise and when travelling to and from the port of
embarkation/disembarkation. Please also make sure to comply with current
vaccination requirements. At the check-in, EU citizens need to present a full epassport valid for the duration of travel.

Edited by podgeandrodge

I would not risk it. Any European countries you visit could deny you entry (and NCL deny you boarding) if your passport has fewer than 6 months' validity left on it. Case in point: in 2021, my passport was going to expire in November. We had two cruises booked: one for August and one for September, the first in Europe and the 2nd in the Caribbean. I renewed my passport in March just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't take any chances. BTW when is your cruise? Is it coming up soon?

Edited by DCGuy64

I get so frustrated when I read these kinds of question on Social Media.  I think there is great advice on CruiseCritic.com.  I am going to try to provide some below.  However, this is a BIG issue that can literally cause huge difficulties.  CALL THE CRUISE BRAND AND BETTER YET, UPDATE YOUR PASSPORT. 

Why risk the possibility when all you have to do is update your passport.  I am also going to Europe.  One of the ports has confusing information about Visas.  Social media talks out of both sides of their mouth.  My solution, buy the visas.  Problem Solved.  

I rarely take this strong a stand but I have also been put in a place where simple decisions can create better outcomes.  Please go save vs. sorry.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I get so frustrated when I read these kinds of question on Social Media.  I think there is great advice on CruiseCritic.com.  I am going to try to provide some below.  However, this is a BIG issue that can literally cause huge difficulties.  CALL THE CRUISE BRAND AND BETTER YET, UPDATE YOUR PASSPORT. 

Why risk the possibility when all you have to do is update your passport.  I am also going to Europe.  One of the ports has confusing information about Visas.  Social media talks out of both sides of their mouth.  My solution, buy the visas.  Problem Solved.  

I rarely take this strong a stand but I have also been put in a place where simple decisions can create better outcomes.  Please go save vs. sorry.

I almost said this too, Gary. Then I realized I didn't know when this cruise was or if there was enough time to renew the passport, especially since the poster is European. I don't know what those countries do....but, if American, I would say what you did.....UPDATE YOUR PASSPORT. I say that in this situation too. Just do it. The stress and anxiety isn't worth, I'm not really sure what....surely, European countries have expedited passport services. Heck, even in the good ole USA if you're traveling within two weeks and need a passport (or renewal) you can get this done on the same day. 

Good luck to the cruiser. Oh....renew your passport. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I'm "risking the possibility" because there is no time to renew, cruise in a couple of weeks.  I should have a long time ago obviously, but wasn't aware of this confusing wording - I will have to rely on the fact that European citizens can move within Europe without passport expiry limitations normally.

Here is the wording on my E-DOCS, which only refers to "valid for the duration of travel", which contradicts their website:

passportreqs3.png

Edited by podgeandrodge

5 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

I'm "risking the possibility" because there is no time to renew, cruise in a couple of weeks.  I should have a long time ago obviously, but wasn't aware of this confusing wording - I will have to rely on the fact that European citizens can move within Europe without passport expiry limitations normally.

Here is the wording on my E-DOCS, which only refers to "valid for the duration of travel", which contradicts their website:

passportreqs3.png

Step 1: Call NCL

Step 2: Find out what Expedited Passports Rules are.

Step 3: Find out the closed Passport Office is and determine if you can make it there reasonably.  

Do all the Due Diligence before you roll the dice.  My advice only.

Cruise well, Enjoy every moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Step 1: Call NCL

Step 2: Find out what Expedited Passports Rules are.

Step 3: Find out the closed Passport Office is and determine if you can make it there reasonably.  

Do all the Due Diligence before you roll the dice.  My advice only.

Cruise well, Enjoy every moment.

Thanks.  Obviously have already checked the expedited rules, they won't do them quick enough for simply forgetting.  No visiting to passport office either, except for appointments for urgent reasons (not missing cruises).

Step 1 - Call NCL - yep, could do that, but as I'm sure you know, you could get a multitude of different answers from different call centre staff, especially given it's likely they will be US based, and fixate on the 6 month rule for US citizens.    Notwithstanding that, I might email to see if I can get something in writing, just in case!

I do think that the official E-DOCS confirming duration of travel only, are probably as good as anything else I will get in an email to be honest, at least it is black and white and official.

Edited by podgeandrodge

Best of luck to you. I don't know enough about the specifics of your case (you mention that the cruise is in a matter of weeks, that the itinerary is European, and that you are also European). But I don't know what country you live in or what country your passport is from (could be different, I have a British friend who resides in France full time, and another Brit who lives in Italy). If nothing else, I would make sure I had insurance in case, God forbid, you aren't allowed to sail. That being said, I always suspect these 6 month rules are CYA in case you come to a country on a travel visa and then decide to marry a local, get a job, go to school, etc. Again, best of luck and hope it all works out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Best of luck to you. I don't know enough about the specifics of your case (you mention that the cruise is in a matter of weeks, that the itinerary is European, and that you are also European). But I don't know what country you live in or what country your passport is from (could be different, I have a British friend who resides in France full time, and another Brit who lives in Italy). If nothing else, I would make sure I had insurance in case, God forbid, you aren't allowed to sail. That being said, I always suspect these 6 month rules are CYA in case you come to a country on a travel visa and then decide to marry a local, get a job, go to school, etc. Again, best of luck and hope it all works out!

I do not think there is any insurance that covers not having the proper documentation.

Note, you should still always have travel insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I do not think there is any insurance that covers not having the proper documentation.

Note, you should still always have travel insurance.

I would have thought CFAR would apply.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Generally, you need to let the supplier know at least a couple days in advance that you're cancelling. CFAR (policies I'm aware of) don't allow for at the terminal cancellations. 

• Like 2

Within Europe there are couple of quirks on border crossing…

Ireland to/from uk technically you don’t need a passport due to the common travel area but Ryanair require a passport and possibly other transport providers also. 
Western Europe /EU continental countries in the Schengen area, no passport required once you are within the area, e.g if you fly/sail into France from Ireland/UK/USA/etc. you have to show your passport but it isn’t needed when entering Spain, Italy, Belgium etc from France regardless of what country you are from. 
the passport period of validity requirement depends on what country you are sailing from & to, e.g. Spain to Italy = no passport as you would have shown your passport getting into Spain in the first place. UK to Spain = passport officially needed but period of validity depends on Spain’s requirement for your country of citizenship. 
the cruiseline wants passports for ID in Europe because there’s too many inconsistencies with any other form of ID.  There was a bit of a joke in Ireland when we first had an influx of polish citizens using their polish driving licenses and the gardai (police) didn’t realise their license layout was different and were taking the polish word for Name as being the name of the driver when issuing tickets.

Also, watch out for countries/airlines that use the date of issue to determine validity.

A friend's passport was recently declared past validity at the airport because he had renewed it early last time.

He was travelling in late March, his passport expiry date was July but the date of issue was early June.  He thought that the three months validity required for UK passport holders entering Europe was calculated using date of expiry!

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I don't think so, but that would be academic in my case as NY State does not allow CFAR insurance to be sold as the State Insurance Commissioner has ruled that that is not really an insurance product.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I’ve never seen that as an option on a travel insurance purchase in Ireland and that’s also probably the case in the UK and other EU countries.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zqvol said:

Don’t forget to check airline requirements too. 

Yes definitely. My DIL showed up at the airport for a flight to Amsterdam for a one week visit and Delta wouldn’t let her board because her passport expired in 90 days.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

I will have to rely on the fact that European citizens can move within Europe without passport expiry limitations normally.

Whatever countries your cruise is going to…look up their passport rules for European citizens.  That should let you know if you can enter freely.  If so…emergency averted.  If not, you may still be able to board but not disembark in those countries.  Good luck.  And yes, many people have been caught off guard with passport renewal.  We just sent our US passports off for cruise in November…with an expiry 5 months later.  Caught it by accident just in time. Again…good luck. Report back please.

• Thanks 1

Based on the wording of your original post it seems that you are aware there could potentially be a problem. The six month rule is what it is - everyone on CC will have their own opinion or the experience of their friend’s father’s great grandmother)S second cousin’s three times removed.

At end of the day you have to realize your experience will be your own, and that there definitely could be complications. You won’t know until you get there - no point in asking strangers for their opinions.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Based on the wording of your original post it seems that you are aware there could potentially be a problem. The six month rule is what it is - everyone on CC will have their own opinion or the experience of their friend’s father’s great grandmother)S second cousin’s three times removed.

At end of the day you have to realize your experience will be your own, and that there definitely could be complications. You won’t know until you get there - no point in asking strangers for their opinions.

@RD64 Extremely well said.  

• Like 1