Weather in Italy in early October?

dmrrn73

We are doing the Symphony of the Seas from Rome on October 5th. We will be in Rome a couple days before we set sail. I would imagine like here in the US we should be prepared for anything but is there an average temp, is it rainy season there? We are doing an excursion in Naples that includes Beach time, is it even going to be anywhere near warm enough to want to go in the water? It's not the main reason I booked that particular tour so if not it's no big deal but was wondering.

Rome's temperatures (as well as those in Naples) tend to be fairly moderate but may not be "beach weather" in October. Most Italian beach resorts close up their pools and beach facilities (chairs, etc.) at the end of September. Curious what beach you had planned to visit?

Temps in Rome average from around mid-50s to 70-ish (Fahrenheit) in October. Naples might be marginally warmer.

As to rain, October is, in general, slightly rainier than September but not as much so as November and December. You can get beautiful days in October with intense blue skies. 

Note that both Florence and Venice are farther north and can be cooler and rainier than Rome or Naples.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Rome's temperatures (as well as those in Naples) tend to be fairly moderate but may not be "beach weather" in October. Most Italian beach resorts close up their pools and beach facilities (chairs, etc.) at the end of September. Curious what beach you had planned to visit?

Temps in Rome average from around mid-50s to 70-ish (Fahrenheit) in October. Naples might be marginally warmer.

As to rain, October is, in general, slightly rainier than September but not as much so as November and December. You can get beautiful days in October with intense blue skies. 

Note that both Florence and Venice are farther north and can be cooler and rainier than Rome or Naples.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like it will likely be reasonable weather so that makes me happy. 

The info for the excursion says "Once in Capri, stop for a refreshing swim at Marina Piccola off the coast of the island" I guess it would be more "refreshing" than most people would want, LOL 

4 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Your mileage might vary this year. 

It can vary every year. That is why I tend to Google search for the historic averages, and can adapt up or down a reasonable number of degrees. Better than anecdotal info.