Covid protocols, what to expect currently

Kitty Ellas Mom

Just now, msmarian said:

Another reason why hand washing is superior to alcohol sanitizer is that c diff won’t be killed by hand sani.

I realize that c diff isn’t as common as noro or COVID (altho with COVID surface/fomite transmission is super rare so respiratory protection remains first line of defense), nevertheless the prospect of contracting c diff grosses me out enough to wash my hands like a little raccoon before I eat.

I’ve just looked up what that actually is, yuk! I’m definitely washing my hands!

The number of people who just walk into the buffet, maybe use the sanitiser on entry but maybe not, and then eat is actually quite scary!

11 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

I’ve just looked up what that actually is, yuk! I’m definitely washing my hands!

The number of people who just walk into the buffet, maybe use the sanitiser on entry but maybe not, and then eat is actually quite scary!

Right? I always knew some people were nasty long before covid hit the scene.  My hand sani, washing hands, clorox wipes routine is exactly the same as pre-2020. I just feel like some have caught up to it. lol

• Like 5

On 6/13/2023 at 1:44 AM, Nicole&Pete said:

Screenshot_20230614-075449~2.png

• Haha 6

We avoid the buffet.  I have witnessed too many people getting some food or sauce on their fingers, lick it off, move to the next desired food item and use that hand to grab the serving utensil.  I would rather be served my food not knowing the hygiene practice of the people in the kitchen.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rcrabb1513 said:

We avoid the buffet.  I have witnessed too many people getting some food or sauce on their fingers, lick it off, move to the next desired food item and use that hand to grab the serving utensil.  I would rather be served my food not knowing the hygiene practice of the people in the kitchen.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss    

I see the same thing.  Not too long ago I saw a woman reach in for a roll, put it back and get another one.  The tongs were right there.  Not being overly shy, I spoke up and told her to stop touching other people's food.  The supervisor heard me, came over and removed the bowl of rolls. Of course, the woman got in a big huff to try to deflect that she had been caught doing something wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I see the same thing.  Not too long ago I saw a woman reach in for a roll, put it back and get another one.  The tongs were right there.  Not being overly shy, I spoke up and told her to stop touching other people's food.  The supervisor heard me, came over and removed the bowl of rolls. Of course, the woman got in a big huff to try to deflect that she had been caught doing something wrong.

I guess I may not be paying attention.  I haven't seen anything like this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

In March I was behind a man who picked up the tongs and then with the same hand the tongs were in, remove the metal lid from the tortillas.  He then used his other hand to slide between two tortillas to pick one up.  I just looked at him and said, "Are you kidding me!" and he replied, "What?, they are stuck together" like he had no clue about not touching food with his hands.  I just used the tongs to take some tortillas out and lay them off to the side on the counter.  In hindsight, I wish I would have also let a crew member know.

As for Covid protocols, they did ask at the port if we were vaccinated but they did not ask for a card to verify.  On the ship it seemed to be like it was before Covid.  We wear masks because I have respiratory issues and I think I could count on one hand how many others I saw in masks.  This is not a judgment from me regarding masks.  I believe everyone should do what is right for them and for me, it is wearing masks.  We do the usual, disinfect cabin on first day, wash hands, wash hands again after getting food and before eating it in the buffet.  We try to get two person tables in the dining room and avoid sitting in a cluster area in the buffet.  Of course, nothing we do is foolproof but we enjoy cruising too much to let some, for us, very minor inconveniences stop that.  I wish I could give you information on quarantine but happily we have not gotten Covid on a ship.  We have sailed six times since restart and have a couple more coming up so, fingers crossed, it stays that way.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, damiross said:

I guess I may not be paying attention.  I haven't seen anything like this.

It's my cross to bear, having worked in food service in my teens and later being trained in public health and doing food operation inspections.  I can't look away.  That's why I get on my high horse about lax practices with the workers and will call out passengers who touch food and put it back.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

It's my cross to bear, having worked in food service in my teens and later being trained in public health and doing food operation inspections.  I can't look away.  That's why I get on my high horse about lax practices with the workers and will call out passengers who touch food and put it back.

I was a restaurant manager for a couple years working my way up from the kitchen crew.  Food safety is still on my mind 40 years later.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:04 PM, pink845 said:

Been on a couple of cruises now since Jan 2023.  Last one was Majestic, Alaska a few weeks back.  Our procedure with respect to Covid is as follows. We wear our masks in crowds; we wear our masks collecting food at the buffet.  We tell our room steward on day 1, not to enter our room for the entire cruise. We leave our dirty towels at the door and he drops off new ones in a clear plastic bag.  We do not need cabin service at all. We book a mini suite balcony so we have plenty of space to roam. Mini suites have a large sofa bed as well and we let the fresh air enter the cabin upon our arrival and several times during the day.   In the dining room, we have always had no issue getting a table for two in a more far way spot so not to have to interact with other passengers too much in that dining space.  We have found there is more space in the specialty dining rooms, so we ate in those 4 out of the 7 nights.   Less chance of room steward spreading germs from cabin to cabin if that room steward is not entering our cabin.  He uses the same cloth to clean each cabin we are sure.  Princess has become super cheap there.  Also, we do not ask the waiters to bring water or any beverage to us when at the buffet (I mean, water, tea, coffee, the free ones) because we notice that the waiter cleans the table of the previous table guest and then uses the same dirty cloth to clean the next table and he /she is not see washing his hands or using hand sanitizer at all between the tables and bringing water, coffee, tea, iced tea, whatever to the fellow passengers that request it.  Funny.  Not really. So if we want coffee, we go get it and let it drip into our own coffee insulated mugs.  Just a few things that we do to prevent coming into contact with Covid.  As an aside, there were quite a few fellow passengers wearing masks on our May sailing of the Majestic, and more and more in crowded spots as there are people who in general show no respect for others when they are coughing and sneezing. We see them and hear them coughing into their hands (yes) not their sleeve, leaving kleenex on the table.  Manners people.    Just a few notes about our recent experiences.   Six vaccine doses and counting.  No Covid in 3.5 years and we have travelled quite a bit.  

Please do not serve yourself into your own beverage container. Use the provided cups/glasses and pour into yours. The rest of us don't care to have our beverages contaminated by contact with your insulaged mug. Thank you!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, VaCruzers said:

Please do not serve yourself into your own beverage container. Use the provided cups/glasses and pour into yours. The rest of us don't care to have our beverages contaminated by contact with your insulaged mug. Thank you!

I fill my own insulated to-go mug with coffee every morning, unless there is a crew member there who won't let me do it myself such as when there's a noro outbreak.  I'm smart enough to maintain distance between the spout and my mug, just like I'm smart enough not to put my lips on the spout of a public drinking fountain.

For my reusable water bottle, I refill it in my cabin.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 12:04 AM, pink845 said:

Been on a couple of cruises now since Jan 2023.  Last one was Majestic, Alaska a few weeks back.  Our procedure with respect to Covid is as follows. We wear our masks in crowds; we wear our masks collecting food at the buffet.  We tell our room steward on day 1, not to enter our room for the entire cruise. We leave our dirty towels at the door and he drops off new ones in a clear plastic bag.  We do not need cabin service at all. We book a mini suite balcony so we have plenty of space to roam. Mini suites have a large sofa bed as well and we let the fresh air enter the cabin upon our arrival and several times during the day.   In the dining room, we have always had no issue getting a table for two in a more far way spot so not to have to interact with other passengers too much in that dining space.  We have found there is more space in the specialty dining rooms, so we ate in those 4 out of the 7 nights.   Less chance of room steward spreading germs from cabin to cabin if that room steward is not entering our cabin.  He uses the same cloth to clean each cabin we are sure.  Princess has become super cheap there.  Also, we do not ask the waiters to bring water or any beverage to us when at the buffet (I mean, water, tea, coffee, the free ones) because we notice that the waiter cleans the table of the previous table guest and then uses the same dirty cloth to clean the next table and he /she is not see washing his hands or using hand sanitizer at all between the tables and bringing water, coffee, tea, iced tea, whatever to the fellow passengers that request it.  Funny.  Not really. So if we want coffee, we go get it and let it drip into our own coffee insulated mugs.  Just a few things that we do to prevent coming into contact with Covid.  As an aside, there were quite a few fellow passengers wearing masks on our May sailing of the Majestic, and more and more in crowded spots as there are people who in general show no respect for others when they are coughing and sneezing. We see them and hear them coughing into their hands (yes) not their sleeve, leaving kleenex on the table.  Manners people.    Just a few notes about our recent experiences.   Six vaccine doses and counting.  No Covid in 3.5 years and we have travelled quite a bit.  

I think you should stay at home, where is the fun not mixing with anyone?

1 hour ago, VaCruzers said:

That may be fine for non-carbonated liquids.  For carbonated liquids, each time you pour it, carbonation is lost.

How do people put liquids into their mugs?  I do not touch the spigot or pour spout or whatever I am getting my liquid from.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, damiross said:

That may be fine for non-carbonated liquids.  For carbonated liquids, each time you pour it, carbonation is lost.

How do people put liquids into their mugs?  I do not touch the spigot or pour spout or whatever I am getting my liquid from.

I'm not aware of any self serve carbonated beverages on Princess, but I don't drink them so may not have noticed. I'm only aware of ice, coffee, tea, lemonade, and, at breakfast, sometimes juice or milk. I, along with many others, do bring an insulated mug, but it never touches any part of a dispenser that others would use. I fill and transfer. In the buffet, the staff do ask you to use the provided mugs or cups, or will offer to fill one for you, or offer one to you to fill, then transfer your beverage into your own if that's what you prefer to use. I have observed staff telling passengers not to use their own cup, etc. directly from the dispenser, both before and since COVID. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

On Island now. A few cases for sure as you can see tables outside of room for the meals. I’m sure many more walking around with it. People cough and sneeze without covering their face. If I was sneezing or coughing I’d put on a mask just so I don’t get anyone sick but I’m in the minority. My husband and I wear a mask very often on the cruise (whenever we’re in close proximity to people and we wear it in airports and planes). We have lots of traveling to do and don’t want to get sick. I don’t think everyone should wear a mask but if you’re sick it makes sense to put one on. Husband tested positive last night of our last cruise - never had it before. If he gets it again he won’t cruise again. 

• Like 1

Just disembarked the Regal on Friday after a lovely 12 day British Isles cruise.  I did not see any tables outside rooms and it was business as usual on the ship but as the cruise went on there was a lot more sneezing and coughing all around us.  This was our 7th cruise since the restart and we had managed to stay healthy - until now.  Somewhere over the Atlantic while flying home I started feeling some symptoms.  By yesterday morning I felt like I had been hit by a truck and tested positive for the first time ever.  Ditto my hubby although his symptoms didn't start until we got home.  I went to Urgent Care and got antiviral meds.  Am now hearing that a lot of folks on the ship got Covid.  We take every precaution - hand washing, socially distancing, I was even sanitizing my hands again after going through the buffet.  The one thing we did not do was wear a mask at any point but I don't know if it would have made a difference.  I was trusting that my 6 vaccines would keep me safe.  I was reading that the new variant XBB comes on quickly and that it may evade vaccines and even the protection that past Covid illness may provide.  Be careful out there, Covid is still with us and I can now say from personal experience that it's not something you want to mess with.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wblotner said:

On Island now. A few cases for sure as you can see tables outside of room for the meals. I’m sure many more walking around with it. People cough and sneeze without covering their face. If I was sneezing or coughing I’d put on a mask just so I don’t get anyone sick but I’m in the minority. My husband and I wear a mask very often on the cruise (whenever we’re in close proximity to people and we wear it in airports and planes). We have lots of traveling to do and don’t want to get sick. I don’t think everyone should wear a mask but if you’re sick it makes sense to put one on. Husband tested positive last night of our last cruise - never had it before. If he gets it again he won’t cruise again. 

With all the new variants there is no way to avoid Covid anymore than you can avoid a cold. I wear masks while boarding planes, in public restrooms and on public transit. I have gotten Covid twice in the last year but that won’t keep me from cruising we have 6 booked in the next year +

• Like 2

1 hour ago, memoak said:

With all the new variants there is no way to avoid Covid anymore than you can avoid a cold. I wear masks while boarding planes, in public restrooms and on public transit. I have gotten Covid twice in the last year but that won’t keep me from cruising we have 6 booked in the next year +

I agree - nothing stops it but if people who are couching and sneezing out on a mask it helps as 1 person with a mask is no where as effective as both people wearing it. 

I guess I''m some sort of medical oddity.  Still haven't had covid.  Only worn a mask when required by an authority.  Got vaxxed as soon as I was eligible and have been boosted so much my shot card is full.  Been on 5 cruises since the restart.  Had four flights within the past three weeks.  

Still not so much as a sniffle.

Everyone's physiology and immune systems are different and everyone should take whatever precautions they feel are necessary.  

I'll be first in line for the next variant booster and will keep on traveling.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 4:19 PM, SargassoPirate said:

I fill my own insulated to-go mug with coffee every morning, unless there is a crew member there who won't let me do it myself such as when there's a noro outbreak.  I'm smart enough to maintain distance between the spout and my mug, just like I'm smart enough not to put my lips on the spout of a public drinking fountain.

For my reusable water bottle, I refill it in my cabin.

IMO, PCL has the container fill rule as some percentage of folks cannot be trusted.  It is perfectly possible to fill one's own container without contacting the spout the same as using their container.  So, it's an annoying rule to us who know how to properly do it.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the folks PCL Is so concerned about don't also make some contact with PCL vessels and how clean are they after sitting out for a while?  

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IMO, PCL has the container fill rule as some percentage of folks cannot be trusted.  It is perfectly possible to fill one's own container without contacting the spout the same as using their container.  So, it's an annoying rule to us who know how to properly do it.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the folks PCL Is so concerned about don't also make some contact with PCL vessels and how clean are they after sitting out for a while?  

Yeah.  I chuckle to myself at some of the so-called health precautions.  Can't fill my own coffee cup, but that crew member can wear the same plastic gloves for and entire shift.  Can't pickup my own silverware burrito, but the crew can "clean" a table with a used cloth napkin.

We are smart enough to protect ourselves and we don't touch food or anything going in our mouth unless our hands are clean - and clean doesn't mean I washed them as I left my cabin.

At least we are seeing those plexiglass communication barriers coming down in stores and medical offices.

Interesting times.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 8:54 AM, memoak said:

Oh I have friends who have never been on a cruise at all and have had it 3 times.  Just part of life today   If you feel sick then test and isolate till you feel better just like the flu

Just like a cold or flu