Guarantee

trbarton

This is my 1st time with a guarantee booking as my cruise was sold out & my T/A had an Obstructed View Balcony guarantee. 

When you had a guarantee how long before you saw your stateroom assignment?

I’m aware that it could be just before the cruise. 

Tom🤔

I tracked this pre-covid on a handful of voyages, both mine and other folks on cruise critic.  It was not scientific, but it seemed like there were 3 windows.  Either at some random point well before final payment, shortly after final payment, or within the last 10 days before sailing.

I would say that given how full ships are now, it will be much closer to sailing so they can continue to advertise the least expensive categories and then assign folks near sailing.  

• Like 1

I booked a guaranteed interior (IF) on a cruise at the end of this month, and my cabin was assigned about 30 days pre-cruise. I was upgraded to a mid aft location (IB).

It seems like this is around the point that all balcony cabins and better sold out. Until this point, it looked like there was still quite a few to choose from, but once all the cabins were assigned, the entire balcony class showed as sold out.

We booked on May 6th, and we were assigned a stateroom around the 24th or 25th (unfortunately it was assigned in the wrong section, but that's a whole other (very long) thread).  My sister in law (who made the bookings for us at the same time as hers), got assigned to the correct spot around the same date.

Our sailing date is October 24, 2023.

A friend of mine made a booking with a travel agency that has multiple functions three weeks before the almost sold out cruise left.  Guarantee...obstructed window.  His booking was tossed around until finally a supervisor took over.  3 days before the cruise, he found out that they assigned him a forward...forward...forward obstructed window cabin. 

The good:  no obstruction (just the walkway in front of his window on the rise Deck 8).

The bad:  second cabin from the bow.  Even as a seasoned sailor, he "felt" the rough seas one night.  Got about 3 hours of sleep that night.  

2 hours ago, EricaAH said:

It seems like this is around the point that all balcony cabins and better sold out. Until this point, it looked like there was still quite a few to choose from, but once all the cabins were assigned, the entire balcony class showed as sold out.

That was the point at which the total number of cabins Princess otherwise expected to be empty at departure plus cancellations roughly equaled the number of unassigned guarantees plus any additional guarantees they expected to sell.

The balcony and higher cabins didn't sell out overnight.  Princess processed upgrade bids to fill those higher categories, which eventually opened up the IB you got (e.g., oceanview upgraded to balcony, interior upgraded to that oceanview, which opened up your IB).  The upgrade from IF to IB wasn't Princess just being nice; that's just the interior category that happened to have their bid accepted (to upgrade to oceanview in my example).