Resilient Lady Home Port Melbourne 23/24

Not too sure about influencers etc, but there was a recent documentary series filmed on the Virgin Scarlet Lady cruiseship operating out of Florida, which I viewed as very pro-Virgin. Ship looked great & there was red everywhere!

It was mostly focused on party, party, party, for the 'sailors' as they refer to passengers as. There was a particular emphasis on special hosts for the high paying sailors who they referred to as 'rockstars' who's every wish was granted.

I'm not sure that based on that, Virgin will be a good fit for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

Not too sure about influencers etc, but there was a recent documentary series filmed on the Virgin Scarlet Lady cruiseship operating out of Florida, which I viewed as very pro-Virgin. Ship looked great & there was red everywhere!

It was mostly focused on party, party, party, for the 'sailors' as they refer to passengers as. There was a particular emphasis on special hosts for the high paying sailors who they referred to as 'rockstars' who's every wish was granted.

I'm not sure that based on that, Virgin will be a good fit for us.

Thanks for that. Ā No I don't think so!

14 hours ago, Ondine said:

Ā 

Are you aware that they are status matching for the time being.Ā  If you are platinum or elite on Princess and various other lines then on cruises prior to 31st Dec they are giving you "Deep Blue Extras" which apart from enhanced boarding/laundry and a few other things includes US$10 per day for speciality coffee and a US$100 bar tab.Ā  Not bad on a short voyage considering that all soft drinks/coke etc are free.

Ā 

They haven't replaced the cancelled cruises in Feb and March yet so I don't know what they will be.Ā 

Ā 

So far I have been advised that they have refunded the Port fees to my bank account (not in there yet) and I noticed this morning that there seems to be 1.5 times the fare in cruise credits in my account.Ā  Looks like the 50% was a bonus.Ā  I was informed that I had till July 15 to request cash which I might do because the current prices are far more than I paid.Ā  FCCs must be used on a cruise that departs within 12 months of your cancelled booking sail date.

Ā 

I can only see one b2b NZ cruise/s now in March remaining.Ā  However the return leg goes to Sydney via Melbourne and I don't think they would let us off with immigration to clear. If they would I would be interested in doing it because no ports are repeated and I like the itinerary. To NZ goes via Sydney and home comes via Hobart.Ā  A good round trip of 20/22 days.

Ā 

I haven't seen much advertising in the papers for sailing since the lock down.Ā  Maybe they do it all on FB and digital media trying to reach a younger audience.Ā  Don't they realise that we oldies have more cash and free time.

I wasn't aware of the matching status thing. Are they trying to keep it under wraps, or are they just not promoting themselves very much? I would agree that after the fanfare of the launch, there has been very little of the usual Virgin promotion. Maybe they are moving in different circles and trying to attract a different crowd. They can't forget older and rusted-on cruisers though. Interesting that Virgin is pitching as a young brand. To us, Branson/Virgin was anti-establishment, but to the younger crowd they are very much part of the establishment.

Ā 

I see quite a few port bookings in Sydney for February. Some fit gaps for heading to/from Melbourne, but not all. If they throw up a short one out of Sydney, I will take a closer look.

22 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Where did you see the promotion? Ā I haven't seen one advertisement!!

I get worried when they ask for full payment, especially after what happened with the pandemic! Ā People are still trying to use their credits.Ā 

I didn't see a promotion advertised - I've been looking at their offerings in their website and on a third party on-line cruise website.

Ā 

I don't think in this case that the up-front payment indicates woes for the company's finances; I would assume they just want the liquidity and for people not to be last minute cancellations because they have less to lose by having just paid a deposit.

22 hours ago, Ondine said:

Ā 

Are you aware that they are status matching for the time being.Ā  If you are platinum or elite on Princess and various other lines then on cruises prior to 31st Dec they are giving you "Deep Blue Extras" which apart from enhanced boarding/laundry and a few other things includes US$10 per day for speciality coffee and a US$100 bar tab.Ā  Not bad on a short voyage considering that all soft drinks/coke etc are free.

Ā 

They haven't replaced the cancelled cruises in Feb and March yet so I don't know what they will be.Ā 

Ā 

So far I have been advised that they have refunded the Port fees to my bank account (not in there yet) and I noticed this morning that there seems to be 1.5 times the fare in cruise credits in my account.Ā  Looks like the 50% was a bonus.Ā  I was informed that I had till July 15 to request cash which I might do because the current prices are far more than I paid.Ā  FCCs must be used on a cruise that departs within 12 months of your cancelled booking sail date.

Ā 

I can only see one b2b NZ cruise/s now in March remaining.Ā  However the return leg goes to Sydney via Melbourne and I don't think they would let us off with immigration to clear. If they would I would be interested in doing it because no ports are repeated and I like the itinerary. To NZ goes via Sydney and home comes via Hobart.Ā  A good round trip of 20/22 days.

Ā 

I haven't seen much advertising in the papers for sailing since the lock down.Ā  Maybe they do it all on FB and digital media trying to reach a younger audience.Ā  Don't they realise that we oldies have more cash and free time.

Ā 

Thanks Ondine, yes I was aware of the status matching. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to me (not enough status; not with the right cruise line).

Ā 

I don't see their advertising anywhere quite frankly. I wouldn't have a clue where they're advertising - I've just been doing research and if you know what to look for, their website can be quite informative (but you have to know from say, youtubers, what topic you want to research). I'm now on their mailing list and got an email this morning about new itineraries in the Australian season. I must say, their information is as clear as pea and ham soup. Given Branson's background and his enormous success I am amazed that the website is so poorly designed (in terms of quickly and easily finding out the information you're looking for or discovering what they're offering).

Ā 

Given how rubbish their self-promotion has been here, I will indeed book with them for December because I doubt they'll be back and offerring such a selection next summer or the summer after - people won't cruise with them if they're not induced to book or don't know what they're offerring.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 5:14 PM, Ondine said:

Well we are off to a good start I think not.Ā  I booked 3 voyages on Resilient Lady over 12 months ago and fully paid for them.Ā  You get a 10% discount.

Ā 

The first voyage on 11th Dec still looks ok, 5 nights Tasmania.Ā  Think it will be a party cruise but just want to see what it is like.

Ā 

However I have just received an email this morning stating that "We have received significant feedback from Sailors and travel partners about the voyages available, so we're adjusting our sailing schedule to provide more round-trip sailings in Australia from Melbourne and Sydney"

Ā 

Hmm this means that my other 2 cruises - Melb to Auk 14th Feb and B2B return Auk to Mel 28th Feb have been cancelled.Ā  They have also cancelled the 2 preceding cruises in Jan/Feb.

Ā 

So they are giving FCCs and some extra based on the type of cabin booked although you can evidently ask for your money back if you want.Ā  Since prices have gone up substantially since I booked I am not impressed.

Ā 

More news to come in the next few days so I await the release of substitute itineraries and what options I have.Ā  I am not impressed - they haven't even got here yet.

Ā 

Ā 

Think I've told you this before, Ondine.Ā  We're booked on the first voyage too.Ā  Can't wait.Ā  The food look good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

I wasn't aware of the matching status thing. Are they trying to keep it under wraps, or are they just not promoting themselves very much? I would agree that after the fanfare of the launch, there has been very little of the usual Virgin promotion. Maybe they are moving in different circles and trying to attract a different crowd. They can't forget older and rusted-on cruisers though. Interesting that Virgin is pitching as a young brand. To us, Branson/Virgin was anti-establishment, but to the younger crowd they are very much part of the establishment.

Ā 

I see quite a few port bookings in Sydney for February. Some fit gaps for heading to/from Melbourne, but not all. If they throw up a short one out of Sydney, I will take a closer look.

I applied for this.Ā  Got approved but to close the loop you have to ring their international 0800 number.Ā  Just can't bear the thought of being on hold forever but will have to do it sometime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Ā 

I still have my vinyl copy from (when?) 1975 or 1976?

Ā 

It was pretty unusual in its day.

Even earlier. It turned 50 a couple of weeks ago. My first version would have been on tape for the car, and probably got melted out of shape in the early 80's. I still have some vinyl of his though, appropriately QE2. I started to buy his music then because of Wonderful Land, which was also pretty unusual to be getting airplay in those days too.

• Like 1

Here is the loyalty matchup and hopefully the link for the form to apply.Ā  I had no trouble just filled in the form and they emailed me back to say all was good within a week.Ā  Just google it if it doesn't work.

Ā 

https://vvprod.secure.force.com/SubmitLoyaltyProofOfStatusForm?_ga=2.134105358.124491346.1686208727-87560470.1651114964&_gl=1*3jyd5v*_ga*ODc1NjA0NzAuMTY1MTExNDk2NA..*_gid*MTI0NDkxMzQ2LjE2ODYyMDg3Mjc.*_fplc*eDNIWVJBRlBHd1pCOWRDSHNDcXolMkJ0Rjc3OFZ4dSUyRnNENlJkUmhzNFpTNEptTCUyQiUyQnVjc1VCTjQxdFhMcFNWY3UlMkJXa09YMHVvRnY0bTdjcjhhVld1elRwS1VIbjMlMkZjbWhsOWhaeWZnUks2ZEFMTlElMkJzVUFXTkdqRUVacUlwRlElM0QlM0Q.*_ga_Y9EN28SNLN*MTY4NjIwODcyOS43MC4xLjE2ODYyMTAxMzAuNTguMC4w*_ga_6QKCE3P4MF*MTY4NjIwODcyOS43MC4xLjE2ODYyMTAxMzAuMC4wLjA.

Ā 

Ā There is now a cruise showing from Sydney to Sydney on Feb 11 a 4 nighter to Tassie.Ā  They seem to have Tassie on the brain now.Ā  None of the new short cruises replacing mine are suitable nor am I interested in them so will just have to see if they come back next season.Ā  At least my port charges have now shown up in my bank account.Ā  Over $1000 so that is good.Ā  Now what to do with all the credits and how to get them converted into cash!!!

Ā 

The speed with which they have done the refunding makes me think that this has been planned for quite some time.Ā  I think that agents in Sydney have been put out that Melbourne got the bookings and want something done about it.Ā  I really don't like 3 and 4 night cruises especially when they go to the same place (Hobart/Burnie) so not happy at the moment.

Ā 

Ā 

image.thumb.png.5f2b90c57ecddc16c3b3332a62377ba5.png

Oh and I get a lot of my information from reading the Virgin posts on Cruise Critic and watching YouTube.Ā  Then I follow them up.Ā  The info they send out is pretty useless.Ā  They seem to be making it up as they go along.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Here is the loyalty matchup and hopefully the link for the form to apply.Ā  I had no trouble just filled in the form and they emailed me back to say all was good within a week.Ā  Just google it if it doesn't work.

Ā 

https://vvprod.secure.force.com/SubmitLoyaltyProofOfStatusForm?_ga=2.134105358.124491346.1686208727-87560470.1651114964&_gl=1*3jyd5v*_ga*ODc1NjA0NzAuMTY1MTExNDk2NA..*_gid*MTI0NDkxMzQ2LjE2ODYyMDg3Mjc.*_fplc*eDNIWVJBRlBHd1pCOWRDSHNDcXolMkJ0Rjc3OFZ4dSUyRnNENlJkUmhzNFpTNEptTCUyQiUyQnVjc1VCTjQxdFhMcFNWY3UlMkJXa09YMHVvRnY0bTdjcjhhVld1elRwS1VIbjMlMkZjbWhsOWhaeWZnUks2ZEFMTlElMkJzVUFXTkdqRUVacUlwRlElM0QlM0Q.*_ga_Y9EN28SNLN*MTY4NjIwODcyOS43MC4xLjE2ODYyMTAxMzAuNTguMC4w*_ga_6QKCE3P4MF*MTY4NjIwODcyOS43MC4xLjE2ODYyMTAxMzAuMC4wLjA.

Ā 

Ā There is now a cruise showing from Sydney to Sydney on Feb 11 a 4 nighter to Tassie.Ā  They seem to have Tassie on the brain now.Ā  None of the new short cruises replacing mine are suitable nor am I interested in them so will just have to see if they come back next season.Ā  At least my port charges have now shown up in my bank account.Ā  Over $1000 so that is good.Ā  Now what to do with all the credits and how to get them converted into cash!!!

Ā 

The speed with which they have done the refunding makes me think that this has been planned for quite some time.Ā  I think that agents in Sydney have been put out that Melbourne got the bookings and want something done about it.Ā  I really don't like 3 and 4 night cruises especially when they go to the same place (Hobart/Burnie) so not happy at the moment.

Ā 

Ā 

image.thumb.png.5f2b90c57ecddc16c3b3332a62377ba5.png

Thanks for all that tier matching info.

I don't know if the tail is wagging the dog so much. Virgin wouldn't be shifting anything if the itineraries were selling well ex-Melbourne. I guess people still use local agents, but we have been booking online interstate for years, so no Newcastle or Sydney agency will benefit from us because of a shift of port.

Ā 

I am a bit tempted for a balcony on the 4 nighter from Sydney, at a price, although I am not so sure about Barb. We cancelled a Tassie 6 nighter on Edge in March to start saving for our biggie, so I think I will wait and see what happens with the prices - still a bit high considering.Ā 

Ā 

Kudos to them for fast credits/refunds. When you look at how long the established cruise lines take, you would swear they don't have computers. We have grown to accept 4 weeks for this and 6 weeks for that, but they are inherently slow & lazy processes.Ā 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

Ā 

Would be good if one works for you - go all in & go for the Rockstar experience šŸ˜Š

• Haha 1

Just now, mr walker said:

Would be good if one works for you - go all in & go for the Rockstar experience šŸ˜Š

Maybe I can get on Utube & Itsasham and sell my soul for a freebie, er sorry, I mean 4 days of hard work sharing vital ship information with the masses.Ā šŸ˜‚

• Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 8:35 AM, arxcards said:

Ā I don't see that as innovation. I am a fan since Tubular Bells days.

Ā 

Even though that was the album that made him (and Mike Oldfield) he hated it. He said it needed "lyrics"Ā šŸ˜

Ā 

• Like 1