QM2 Guide to Wi-Fi Access Point Locations for Passenger Cabins

Mercruiser

• 3 weeks later...

32mbs in the QV Commodore Club (Premium  Internet) just now and I had a very successful Zoom meeting with work today until the heavens opened and the internet got a bit sketchy

Screenshot_20230918-161631.thumb.png.9ef12c24a072f59cfb24923f9c0afced.png

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 4:44 AM, esrs said:

On QM2 our Q4 cabin 9051 had an access point within the cabin. Connectivity was flawless.

Goodie... I hope it is the same next door in 9052.    Wondering if they install access points in all Queen's Grill Room.

We are new to Cunard and wondering if they have Installed Starlink on their ships?

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Goodie... I hope it is the same next door in 9052.    Wondering if they install access points in all Queen's Grill Room.

We are new to Cunard and wondering if they have Installed Starlink on their ships?

Just as you know, the cabins are not adjacent. 9051 is a Q4 Penthouse on the starboard side of the ship and 9052 which is a Q5 on the port side, 4 cabins further forward.

3 hours ago, North West Newbie said:

Just as you know, the cabins are not adjacent. 9051 is a Q4 Penthouse on the starboard side of the ship and 9052 which is a Q5 on the port side, 4 cabins further forward.

Thanks for clarification.    I didn't know they jumped numbers around like that.   I would expect nothing less in you Penthouse.

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for clarification.    I didn't know they jumped numbers around like that.   I would expect nothing less in you Penthouse.

All the odd numbers are on the starboard side, and the evens on the port. So successive numbers are almost never adjacent.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hi Jim. Spoken with you a few times on the Celebrity forum. We are booked on Queen Anne next year on our first Cunard voyage. Good to see you here. 

Edited by TowandaUK
Edit

7 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

Hi Jim. Spoken with you a few times on the Celebrity forum. We are booked on Queen Anne next year on our first Cunard voyage. Good to see you here. 

Thanks and good to see you here also.    After 23 years sailing exclusively on Celebrity we have made the decision to  try other lines.

Celebrity cancelled our November TA from Lisbon to Buenos Aires and left us with 1/2 of a B2B that was Non-Refundable Deposit but they did allow us to move it to a different TA.   I couldn't find a Celebrity cruise that meshed.   I did find the Cunard QE2 TA about 2 1/2 weeks before our TA and worked perfect for us so booked for October 2024. 

I know it is far off but trying to soak up as much information as possible.   As a Silicon Valley Geek Internet is really important. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks and good to see you here also.    After 23 years sailing exclusively on Celebrity we have made the decision to  try other lines.

Celebrity cancelled our November TA from Lisbon to Buenos Aires and left us with 1/2 of a B2B that was Non-Refundable Deposit but they did allow us to move it to a different TA.   I couldn't find a Celebrity cruise that meshed.   I did find the Cunard QE2 TA about 2 1/2 weeks before our TA and worked perfect for us so booked for October 2024. 

I know it is far off but trying to soak up as much information as possible.   As a Silicon Valley Geek Internet is really important. 

Great to see you here, Jim_lain.  DH and I are also seriously considering various cruises on Cunard, with a preference for QM2.

23 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Great to see you here, Jim_lain.  DH and I are also seriously considering various cruises on Cunard, with a preference for QM2.

I have to say I'm much more excited about the Cunard Cruise than I am for our upcoming Celebrity Cruises.    I have had many recommendations to try out Cunard.

I changed my cabin today.   I discovered the one I had was a connecting room and was quite a distance from a  WiFi Access Point.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

I would say yes. But I am biased since I started the topic. 

Rationale:

1) Starlink improves the speed and reliability of the communications between the QM2 ship and the Internet (the rest of the world). It does nothing to improve the final connection between your smartphone (iPad, notebook, Kindle, Android phone, etc.) and the QM2. If you cannot get a good Wi-Fi connection on QM2, the improved Starlink does you no good.

2) Have they done anything to improve cabin connectivity on QM2?

I have not been on QM2 since this topic was started, but I have no knowledge that Cunard has increased/improved the Wi-Fi access point locations since then. I think the fundamental problem of poor Wi-Fi still remains. If you want good Starlink Internet access on QM2, you will still want a cabin near a Wi-Fi access point.

Edited by Mercruiser

I had not previously read the QM2 Refit threads. 

Given that they added/replaced the Wifi access points on QM2, then my spreadsheet, describing the previous locations, is obsolete. And that is good news. 👍

So yes, I agree you should remove the Sticky on this topic.

3 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

2) Have they done anything to improve cabin connectivity on QM2?

Short answer is "yes". Connectivity was dramatically improved in December versus an equivalent cabin in May of 2022. Basically indistinguishable from our connectivity at home except for occasional disconnects. But I did love this topic, and thank you for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

I had not previously read the QM2 Refit threads. 

Given that they added/replaced the Wifi access points on QM2, then my spreadsheet, describing the previous locations, is obsolete. And that is good news. 👍

So yes, I agree you should remove the Sticky on this topic.

Thanks again for all the work you put into it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Short answer is "yes". Connectivity was dramatically improved in December versus an equivalent cabin in May of 2022. Basically indistinguishable from our connectivity at home except for occasional disconnects. But I did love this topic, and thank you for it.

I can echo this, having been on QM2 in September 2023 and then again for the Crossing that I reported on in December 2023, so either side of the refit. My Crossing report in this board was image intensive and the wifi in December was not only much better than the September, but better and more reliable than my home provision. At the CWC party the captain challenged us to find a "Not Spot" and while I didn't actively try the signal at the bottom of the swimming pools during the Force 10 gales, nevertheless I would say the ship has a robust service now, and choice of stateroom / location makes no difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1