NCL Prima - Observation Lounge closed for the entire cruise

robinium

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

However, the cruise line is obligated to make up any deficiencies in the DSC.  Do you know of a better way to send a message to the cruise line that closing down the observation lounge is costing them money?

Besides, one does not have to keep the money deducted from the DSC.  One can always give that money directly to the stewards, waiters, etc.

(1)  I disagree . . . . no one is obligated to do anything, including "making up any deficiencies in the DSC."    It's a business.  

(2)  It's idealistic to suggest deducting from the DSC and then giving that same amount of money to stewards, waiters, etc.   It's the "etc" part that is illogical.  What about the crew who cleans public bathrooms, or the crew who wipes down elevator buttons and handrails, or the dishwashers we don't see? 

Edited by Goldenknight

Spouse and I absolutely would never buy anything at ship art auction, but we always make a point of going to one for 15 minutes or so every cruise.  It's better than the comedy shows on board.  If it makes money for NCL, so be it.  Good for NCL.  

It is unfortunate that the OL was closed, as those places are usually packed with people.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Joy is going to be losing a significant amount of space in their observation lounge when it goes into dry dock in January. Supposedly they are going to add 24 new cabins in it's place and adding more room to their spa. 

Do you have a legit source for this?

18 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Those articles are five months old and mention nothing about converting OL space to cabins.  Also, the NCL website only shows the Joy not cruising from Jan 22 to Feb 12.  You appear to be spreading inaccurate rumors.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Those articles are five months old and mention nothing about converting OL space to cabins.  Also, the NCL website only shows the Joy not cruising from Jan 22 to Feb 12.  You appear to be spreading inaccurate rumors.

If they are planning to add cabins in 9 months time  you would expect to see them for sale at some point soon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It is truly unfortunate when the front line crew who deal with passengers suffer because of what the suits in headquarters do.

That money doesn't go to the crew. NCL collects it, pays the crew the agreed upon amount in their contract and uses the remainder to offset crew expenses like parties and benefits. When they raised the optional DSC from $16.50 to $20, you didn't think that increase was going to the crew? That goes to NCL pockets. Everything get pooled, NCL pays out to crew what is required.

• Like 2

Sorry for the issue.  We kind of ran into it on Sun with large group of foodservice distribution folks.  Why my work can't manage a trip to sea, no idea.

Actually met a family from Dallas at Teppanyaki from the group and very nice.

At the end of the day, does it matter who has the lounge?  We sailed the first TA with reduced pax and the couple times we went up there it was packed with folks legs up, shoes off, sleeping, and sprawled out.  Not a seat anywhere.  More like assisted living center.

5 hours ago, robinium said:

One funny thing that came from this at least is that I got to hear some fool buy a painting of a Starbucks cup for $8000 😂

Did they claim the painting was an original by Andy Warhol? 🤣

9 hours ago, uneamie said:

Someone mentioned a few days ago on here that they had a discussion with one of the staff and they told them that they do not see one penny of that service charge. It apparently goes to fund vacation time for the higher up staff. I don't know if they got that info totally right but if that is the case giving a hefty tip to your cabin steward and some of your servers and then reducing your service charge seems fair to me. I do give our cabin steward a good tip but have not yet asked for a reduction in my service charge.....but I am serously thinking about.  It bothers me that the lower staff does not get any of this money that they rightly deserve. 

Someone mentioned they had a discussion with someone else who told them--sounds like 3rd hand information.

But of course now that you have put that out on the internet, it must be true because everything you read on the internet is true. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Someone mentioned they had a discussion with someone else who told them--sounds like 3rd hand information.

But of course now that you have put that out on the internet, it must be true because everything you read on the internet is true. 🤦‍♂️

Well...I don't know what else to tell you. This forum is about discussing and sharing things. Third hand information may or may not be true. You can believe or not. :classic_rolleyes:

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I am sharing information, one of which was a poster here who spoke to an office who shared that information...yes, it's third party. I never said it was a "fact".  This forum is about discussing and sharing information. Nothing I posted is intentionally "inaccurate". You don't KNOW if that information is right or wrong. How about doing your own research instead of asking posters to prove everything they say. 

12 hours ago, uneamie said:

Someone mentioned a few days ago on here that they had a discussion with one of the staff and they told them that they do not see one penny of that service charge. It apparently goes to fund vacation time for the higher up staff.

I would take that with a big grain of salt.  The crew is quite adept at telling passengers what the crew thinks the passengers want to hear.  This sounds very much like an attempt to get passengers to give some gratuities directly to the crew.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would take that with a big grain of salt.  The crew is quite adept at telling passengers what the crew thinks the passengers want to hear.  This sounds very much like an attempt to get passengers to give some gratuities directly to the crew.

Good point...Maybe we should ask NCL directly and see what they have to say....then again they could also tell us what we want to hear. ha! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uneamie said:

How about doing your own research instead of asking posters to prove everything they say. 

I did the only research possible.  I checked and reported the correct (as of yesterday) non-cruise days for the Joy.  Beyond that, unless my brother works in the C suite at NCL corporate, it is simply not possible for us to research such sensitive insider information.  I will, however, read any articles posted (which I did, and found zero reports of 24 cabins taking over Joy OL space.)  Asking folks to prove wild rumors is simply intended to challenge them to check the facts before spreading them.  Occasionally, a poster does come back with some meaningful evidence.  Most times, like this one, it just illustrates the absurdity of some wild rumors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uneamie said:

Well...I don't know what else to tell you. This forum is about discussing and sharing things. Third hand information may or may not be true. You can believe or not. :classic_rolleyes:

Well then, I hope you do not mind if anyone accepts third hand information with several grains of salt.

Success! All guests have been given some compensation as a result of the situation… 

This letter has been placed outside every stateroom. Now, as to whether it will result in NCL ceasing to hire out key venues, I’m not sure, but getting them to acknowledge that they “got it wrong” is a start!

2023-06-09 18.40.59.pdf

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, robinium said:

Success! All guests have been given some compensation as a result of the situation… 

This letter has been placed outside every stateroom. Now, as to whether it will result in NCL ceasing to hire out key venues, I’m not sure, but getting them to acknowledge that they “got it wrong” is a start!

2023-06-09 18.40.59.pdf 165.78 kB · 3 downloads

Fantastic!!!  This is reassuring, as it indicates that they clearly got the message that removing the OL is totally unacceptable.  Thank you for your reports and your actions.  I have this itinerary booked in the future and find it reassuring that they've (hopefully) learned their lesson here.  For anybody planning to sail by the end of 2024, that 20% FCC can be a lot of $$$.

• Like 4