Sisters Sailing Scenic Scandinavia June 12-22 Live report

Azulann

Just a few words to contribute to Patti's wonderful blog:

Jupiter is still beautiful, we've seen no evidence of deterioration; our cabin is immaculate. The staff and service is much the same as ever - excellent, truly!

Our food has been of high quality and delicious. We had the halibut special in Manfredi's and it was moist and succulent and in a subtle but tasty asparagus velouté. Our Manfredi's bistecca was as before, enormous, thick, perfectly cooked to order (medium rare) and completely yummy.

Just trying to remember and address previous concerns about standards, I've seen no evidence of any deterioration in standards. To confirm, there is no powdered orange juice onboard, which was reported by a previous poster on CC. The food manager was highly amused when I told him it had been suggested on CC. Regular orange juice both smooth and with bits is served around the ship and freshly squeezed on request with breakfast. It's good and has certainly not been watered down.

I think I remember a bed discussion and have concluded that the ship beds are different. In our experience the beds on Jupiter are firmer than on the Sky and on Mars. Our cabin steward put a topper on ours for us. However, and this is so important to mention, we're all different, Patti and I were laughing about this. She finds the beds too soft. Our experiences will vary and are totally subjective!

Our experience on Mariehamn was different to Patti's too. we were discussing it last night. Her tour guide was fabulous, spirited, informative, enthusiastic, ours was not. We learned nothing, were lulled to sleep by the commentary, a complete waste of time! Soooo much depends upon our guides! I came back and read up about the islands.

The sun didn't want to set last night, it lingered and lingered, and whilst we waited up by the World Cafe to watch it, the staff were throwing a party above and in the World cafe. It was the Philippines Independence Day. They were having a fabulous time with a whole roasted suckling pig as a centre piece on the counter and music, I feel sure the dancing was due to start.

All in all we're having a fabulous time, Viking is as remembered so please don't be put off by every negative report you read. Again, it's all subjective opinions. I was listening to a passenger moaning at breakfast this morning (Mrs Stetson) and was truly mystified by her remarks. I truly believe that a little positivity in life makes that experience a far more enjoyable one. 

Oh and PS..... we've seen no bathrobes in the World Cafe, no jeans in the dining rooms, there is only one chap in a gigantic stetson which he wears constantly and inside every dining room, a couple of caps litter the dining rooms too. There is also a note in the daily requesting that folk don't 'hog' the beds surrounding the pool. They mustn't remain 'saved' for more than 20 mins!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Deb,

I heartily agree with your post about beds, food and guides. The difference between your guide and ours in Mariehamn was night and day. 

The included excursions buses are the luck of the drawer which bus you are assigned.

I will praise our tour guide and  suggest she  train the otter guides  Viking uses in Mariehamn when I fill out  the survey, 

I too find the service by all the crew I have interacted with to be superb  as always . 

When we walked off the ship  in Marianhamn, and senior  staff and captain were all clapping  as we descending the gangplank, with  smiles "have a great day " . I was smiling too and excited to be on Viking again  sailing the oceans. 

Let's compare notes again later today  after our excursions. We don not go out till 12:30 so we have a sea day morning  with breakfast in Mamsen and  doing some laundry  while others are off teashop on excursion. 

Patti

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hope you will write a paragraph or two on the pros and any cons of the DV1s on the aft. We had finagled our way into one for our Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise that got canceled.  In addition to being disappointed about the cruise not getting to experience that stateroom made me sad. 

I am Patti"s sister. There are no cons for the DV1s on the aft, Cabin 4123 will soon have my personal name plate on it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, photopro2 said:

I seem to recall reading something about there being a charge for freshly squeezed orange, or am I imagining that?

No charge photopro, you just have to request it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So my most important question since Manfredi’s steak is back, any sightings of my raisin pistachio bun??

IMG_5007.webp

i don't ever use the Living Room or the bar there Clay but I'll see if I can find out for you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, photopro2 said:

I seem to recall reading something about there being a charge for freshly squeezed orange, or am I imagining that?

That happens on other cruise lines (mass market, even what used to be the “best” one).

On my Viking Octantis, the only challenge was finding it. Which pretty soon we did. It never dawned on us to ask for it!

Azulann or DGHOC—do you know anyone who did the Getabergen nature hike on Mariehamn?  I have searched for reviews without luck.  Thank you for any information.  I am enjoying the trip report.  We sail July 4!

9 minutes ago, Spurlady said:

Azulann or DGHOC—do you know anyone who did the Getabergen nature hike on Mariehamn?  I have searched for reviews without luck.  Thank you for any information.  I am enjoying the trip report.  We sail July 4!

I will ask around . I will also check my guide book I picked up in Mariehamn. A nature hike would be lovely this time of year . Will report back . 

6 hours ago, photopro2 said:

If there was a charge for it perhaps it was because they were asking for it outside of meal hours. Except with the drinks package, soft drinks are charged for outside of meal hours.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

Day 4  Gotland ( Visby ) Sweden

Recap of the Day.

We took the excursion " Visby and the West Coast.(4hrs)

Will download pictures later. 

Bus ride outside of Visby to the West coastal area . 

Saw a burial  place in the shape of a ship  done in large stones, it is from the Bronze Age.

Went to a small  church  from the 13 C.   Our guide, Mary Anna  treated us to a hymn which  she sang inside the church !. Another Swede who can sing beautifully. 

Then to the old  fishermens' homes along the coast. Small red painted homes facing the beaches. Fishing is not viable now because the Baltic Sea has less fish, so  these quaint homes are rented out to folks in the summer.

We then  did a short walking tour of Visby visiting a church and learned about the Hanseatic league who built houses for the  sale of goods both for import and export in Visby within the  walls of the town.

Our guide again was so informative. She  had a great sense of humor, very dry, and her use of metaphors in her stories was a bonus.

She  was telling us in  the fall they kill the sheep and use all part of the animal. Everyone drinks schnapps at these  gatherings. At the  end of the evening:

"they drink so much that  when they get up to leave they realize their knees have already left for home , so they fall over  drunk".😁

Did  laundry in the  morning before our excursion.  It took 1 hour to do three loads of wash. No one was in the Laundry when we got there. 

Had dinner off the Classic  menu (always available)in the Restaurant,

Had  shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, and New York (7oz) steak . All very good and steak was excellent. Poached Pear and ice cream ,off daily menu ,for dessert.

Went to the Explorer Lounge to watch sunset, listen to guitarist and at 10 pm my sister had a bowl of the Mamsen pea soup  to cap off the day.

Another  good day in the Baltic Sea. 

Tomorrow we arrive at Gdansk at noon, stay till 7pm.

Our roll call got invitations in our stateroom to attend  meet and mingle on Sat in the Wintergarden.

Weather continues to be perfect and the Baltic Sea is calm.

Patti 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So my most important question since Manfredi’s steak is back, any sightings of my raisin pistachio bun??

IMG_5007.webp

Unfortunately, not on the Neptune British Isles Explorer cruise this May.  I even asked the Living Room bartender but no luck.

3 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

Unfortunately, not on the Neptune British Isles Explorer cruise this May.  I even asked the Living Room bartender but no luck.

I’ll be talking to the executive chef if they aren’t on Saturn in July.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Azulann said:

Day 4  Gotland ( Visby ) Sweden

Recap of the Day.

We took the excursion " Visby and the West Coast.(4hrs)

Will download pictures later. 

Bus ride outside of Visby to the West coastal area . 

Saw a burial  place in the shape of a ship  done in large stones, it is from the Bronze Age.

Went to a small  church  from the 13 C.   Our guide, Mary Anna  treated us to a hymn which  she sang inside the church !. Another Swede who can sing beautifully. 

Then to the old  fishermens' homes along the coast. Small red painted homes facing the beaches. Fishing is not viable now because the Baltic Sea has less fish, so  these quaint homes are rented out to folks in the summer.

We then  did a short walking tour of Visby visiting a church and learned about the Hanseatic league who built houses for the  sale of goods both for import and export in Visby within the  walls of the town.

Our guide again was so informative. She  had a great sense of humor, very dry, and her use of metaphors in her stories was a bonus.

She  was telling us in  the fall they kill the sheep and use all part of the animal. Everyone drinks schnapps at these  gatherings. At the  end of the evening:

"they drink so much that  when they get up to leave they realize their knees have already left for home , so they fall over  drunk".😁

Did  laundry in the  morning before our excursion.  It took 1 hour to do three loads of wash. No one was in the Laundry when we got there. 

Had dinner off the Classic  menu (always available)in the Restaurant,

Had  shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, and New York (7oz) steak . All very good and steak was excellent. Poached Pear and ice cream ,off daily menu ,for dessert.

Went to the Explorer Lounge to watch sunset, listen to guitarist and at 10 pm my sister had a bowl of the Mamsen pea soup  to cap off the day.

Another  good day in the Baltic Sea. 

Tomorrow we arrive at Gdansk at noon, stay till 7pm.

Our roll call got invitations in our stateroom to attend  meet and mingle on Sat in the Wintergarden.

Weather continues to be perfect and the Baltic Sea is calm.

Patti 

Thank you again Patti for your so informative posts!

-love that Mamsens pea soup.  On Saturn they now serve it at lunchtime as well, so you don’t have to wait til late!

-question for you:  wondering if Viking has turned your Omelette station at WC back by Aquavit, into a permanent Asian food station?  They have done so on Saturn.  Love the Asian fishes, but 3 meals a day?  Miss the breakfast omelette there.  Now have to go back to main lines and wait.

• Like 1

Day 5 Gdańsk Poland 

sitting in Star theater waiting to be called for our excursion Two churches , organ concert  in one of them, and walk around old town . 

Tonight there will be a barbecue of ribs, pork chop and chicken  dinner at the pool grill !

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 3