Live from…Z and TB’s Scandinavian Escapade

3 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

We can now call an end to this thread since the last piece of luggage finally arrived late yesterday.  

As you can tell, we are real fans of this line and find most discrepancies to be minor.  We met a couple who disliked the food.  I don’t get it because there is so much to choose from.  I admit that two of my steaks were disappointing, but it wasn’t the end of the world.  

The level of service was spot on and there is nothing negative to say.  The crew was attentive, friendly, and professional at all times.  

That’s all for now since I picked up some sort of crud and am on the way to Urgent Care this morning. Thank you all for joining us and sharing our adventure.  You, too Ken. 

Z and TB

Good luck with your Doc visit. While on our recent Splendor TA I came down with a bad upper repository virus that even after drug regimens my breathing is still a bit labored even today. Coughed so bad onboard during the night(s) I believe I coughed up a toenail. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forgap said:

Did the gin arrive in one piece?

Absolutely!   I am surprised it wasn’t taken. Now waiting to get rid of this crud so I can have some. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Thanks!  The luggage picked up more frequent flyer miles than me. They made platinum on this trip. 

Z and TB

A few years ago I had an important piece of luggage go missing - it went on an adventure that I could only dream of, eventually landing in four continents and 14 countries before finally being returned to me (and my employer) three weeks later. It was a complete exercise in frustration with the amount of time I spent trying to locate the missing luggage. In one of of many emails to the airline I mentioned that I want to receive the miles that my luggage traveled and sure enough, my account was credited with a very sizable amount of miles. Never hurts to ask - the worst that can happen is they will say no.

Now I never travel without air tags in every piece of luggage, including carry on.

BTW - the name of the designer on QVC is Susan Graver - I am watching her right now. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NYC-London said:

A few years ago I had an important piece of luggage go missing - it went on an adventure that I could only dream of, eventually landing in four continents and 14 countries before finally being returned to me (and my employer) three weeks later. It was a complete exercise in frustration with the amount of time I spent trying to locate the missing luggage. In one of of many emails to the airline I mentioned that I want to receive the miles that my luggage traveled and sure enough, my account was credited with a very sizable amount of miles. Never hurts to ask - the worst that can happen is they will say no.

Now I never travel without air tags in every piece of luggage, including carry on.

BTW - the name of the designer on QVC is Susan Graver - I am watching her right now. 

We don’t have air tags and think we should get some. Do they go inside your luggage or on it? Do they use cellular data?  That could get costly. Obviously, I don’t know how they work.  (Don’t laugh)

40 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

We don’t have air tags and think we should get some. Do they go inside your luggage or on it? Do they use cellular data?  That could get costly. Obviously, I don’t know how they work.  (Don’t laugh)

I am with you rcandkc... we are considering getting them for our upcoming trip and I'm not sure how it all works....  

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

I put mine inside our luggage. They use Bluetooth so no cellular data. 

• Like 2

We have apple AirTags and this how we use them and what I understand about them.

We have 4 and have labeled them MJBig and MJsmall and the same for DH, following instructions on linking to your phone.  I put each one in a crown royal bag with a note on its name. DH and I did some testing by taking one of them on a car ride while I watched on my phone.  I then stitched each bag to something on the inside of the suitcase (like a side pocket), using large basting stitches.  Since they are so small there is a risk of them falling out of the suitcase and not being seen.  Or falling out and get put in the wrong suitcase.

How they work. This is my understanding and experience seems to match that.  The tags use nearby wifi signals to tell you where they are.  This will not be continuous, since sometime they will not be near anything that would put out a signal.  So on a flight after checking luggage you go off to the gate area.  You should get some kind of info that your bag is at "XYZ"  near the check in.  At some point you will be able to see that they have moved closer to the departure gate, or something like 0.1 mile away.  This may be the last time you see their location traveling out.  I have not seen when they get in the plane, but that last notification is a good indication they are there.

If you have a connection you will be able to see the luggage at the gate you parked at and then near the gate you go to to get on your plane.  When you reach your destination you will start seeing your luggage location as you head to baggage claim.  You won't get to see the location of your luggage at all times, it depends on the suitcase being near a wifi signal.

How the AirTags helped GREATLY.  We were returning home and at our connection I saw the suitcases get close to our gate as we boarded, and that was the last time I saw them before we took off. When we reached our destination I was heading to baggage claim and looking for luggage location when I got a text from airline about our luggage not being on the flight.  I then saw that the luggage was still at our connection and never got on the plane.  During the next two days when I was told that our luggage was on this flight or that flight arriving at such and such time, I was able to look for the location on my phone (still at connecting airport) and then correct them telling them they had bad information.  I was then told to wait while they check.  I was able to tell when luggage finally arrived at the final destination.

The AirTags did not prevent the luggage from being left behind, but allowed me to be able to tell airline reps that I knew where the luggage was when they didn't.  I feel this helped expedite getting the luggage to the proper destination.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

We have apple AirTags and this how we use them and what I understand about them.

We have 4 and have labeled them MJBig and MJsmall and the same for DH, following instructions on linking to your phone.  I put each one in a crown royal bag with a note on its name. DH and I did some testing by taking one of them on a car ride while I watched on my phone.  I then stitched each bag to something on the inside of the suitcase (like a side pocket), using large basting stitches.  Since they are so small there is a risk of them falling out of the suitcase and not being seen.  Or falling out and get put in the wrong suitcase.

How they work. This is my understanding and experience seems to match that.  The tags use nearby wifi signals to tell you where they are.  This will not be continuous, since sometime they will not be near anything that would put out a signal.  So on a flight after checking luggage you go off to the gate area.  You should get some kind of info that your bag is at "XYZ"  near the check in.  At some point you will be able to see that they have moved closer to the departure gate, or something like 0.1 mile away.  This may be the last time you see their location traveling out.  I have not seen when they get in the plane, but that last notification is a good indication they are there.

If you have a connection you will be able to see the luggage at the gate you parked at and then near the gate you go to to get on your plane.  When you reach your destination you will start seeing your luggage location as you head to baggage claim.  You won't get to see the location of your luggage at all times, it depends on the suitcase being near a wifi signal.

How the AirTags helped GREATLY.  We were returning home and at our connection I saw the suitcases get close to our gate as we boarded, and that was the last time I saw them before we took off. When we reached our destination I was heading to baggage claim and looking for luggage location when I got a text from airline about our luggage not being on the flight.  I then saw that the luggage was still at our connection and never got on the plane.  During the next two days when I was told that our luggage was on this flight or that flight arriving at such and such time, I was able to look for the location on my phone (still at connecting airport) and then correct them telling them they had bad information.  I was then told to wait while they check.  I was able to tell when luggage finally arrived at the final destination.

The AirTags did not prevent the luggage from being left behind, but allowed me to be able to tell airline reps that I knew where the luggage was when they didn't.  I feel this helped expedite getting the luggage to the proper destination.

Thank you so much!  This explanation really really helped me. 😀

we love the airtags.  once we were flying somewhere, don't remember where, and had a connection in Dallas.  It was a longish connection, but our next flight was international.  When we arrived in Dallas, I checked the location of our bags as the check in agent in Tulsa seemed to be particularly unengaged in work that day.  (Most of the AA agents in Tulsa are great, and we have known them for years.  This person was clearly having a bad day.) At any rate, our luggage said still in Tulsa.  We were able to get one of the ladies in the Admiral's Club at DFW get the Tulsa people on the line, and they put our bags on the next flight which caught up to us and our onward flight. 

• Like 2

MJ-Holiday   —. each one in a crown royal bag with a note on its name.  

This  made me laugh, I have been helping my mom clean out her basement and because of my dad,  we have a pile of those purple bags.  I can know put them to use! 

Actually, I believe, Air Tags don’t work using wifi. They send a Bluetooth signal out and if there is an iPhone within 33’ the signal will be picked up. With an estimated 1.5 billion iPhones operating in the world, there is a very good chance the signal will be picked up. Then when you access your “find my” app on your Apple device, you will be able to locate your Air Tag. Batteries (CR2032) need to be replaced annually.
Love this technology, can use Air Tags in many ways other than luggage; cars, keys, dogs, kids even husbands can be tracked!

My suitcases “complained” that they had been left in the hotel room while we were at dinner 😂….…..until I acknowledged the room as a safe location on Find My!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Can you book free FF tickets with the bags miles?  Always a lemon to lemonade person

I wish it were that easy!   The expectation is that wherever I go, so do the suitcases.  Therefore, I must have diverted to Colombia with one of my bags on our way home from Sweden to Miami Airport. I’ll take some extra FF miles any day.  

Z and TB

• Like 1

17 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Actually, I believe, Air Tags don’t work using wifi. They send a Bluetooth signal out and if there is an iPhone within 33’ the signal will be picked up. With an estimated 1.5 billion iPhones operating in the world, there is a very good chance the signal will be picked up. Then when you access your “find my” app on your Apple device, you will be able to locate your Air Tag. Batteries (CR2032) need to be replaced annually.
Love this technology, can use Air Tags in many ways other than luggage; cars, keys, dogs, kids even husbands can be tracked!

Just make sure to use batteries that DO NOT have the bitter coating added (Duracell) - it interferes with the transmission

3 hours ago, Gpilon said:

Hope you are feeling better. Are you on Grandeur next year?

I went to the docs on Thursday and am feeling better.  Thanks for asking. 

Currently, we are on the Grandeur for its transatlantic cruise.  But, it is so far away that you never know if we will keep it or change to something else.  After the rough return home, I am a little gun shy and would not mind a cruise with simpler travel logistics.  

Z and TB

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Currently, we are on the Grandeur for its transatlantic cruise.  But, it is so far away that you never know if we will keep it or change to something else.  After the rough return home, I am a little gun shy and would not mind a cruise with simpler travel logistics.  

Z and TB

14 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

We have a hold on Grandeur, July 22, 2024. Like the itinerary and the spend time in Rome and area post cruise. We found Splendor TA end of March a bit boring…..a cancelled port, not so nice weather and fairly rough seas did not help.

• Like 1