Whiskey Drinkers question

golf4me2010

5 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

This March on the Joy, there was a healthy selection at Maltings! I took the attached picture...may be hard to see all the choices since I'm still using an Iphone 8 😜

Additionally, if you enjoy Old Fashions, they had a number of homemade bitters (Coffee, banana, chocolate, etc.).  We went most evenings for pre-dinner cocktails and let them craft us something special each night.   

bar.jpg

Great pic I’m getting excited!

Just off the Escape last week and the whiskey selection was great! While there was plenty of good selections on the regular drinking package, we did upgrade to the P+ so we could experiment with stuff we've never had before and boy did we have a blast! The Haven bar had all the Macallans, EH Taylor, Blanton's, Woodford, Buffalo Trace, 1792 SB, Old Forester, Gentleman Jack, etc. The Tobacco Road Bar, which is the whiskey bar on the Escape, actually had a few great offerings not available at the Haven bar (1792, both small batch AND full proof, Old Foresters, including my fav 1920, etc.). 

So no worries, whether you have the regular package or the P+, they'll have plenty of good options to choose from!

* If you like cognacs, they also had an excellent selection!

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've bought the Glenfiddich 12 year in the past, but haven't tried the higher end stuff.  I do like Scotch!  At one point, I decided to try all the major players to see what I liked best.  I wound up with Black Label as my go-to.  I probably tried three or four single malts but decided that I preferred the Johnnie Walker blend the best.

👍👍👍

Was on the Pride of America two weeks ago and the only scotch in the standard package was Dewars White Label.  😒

No Johnnie Walker of any color available on the ship.☹️😲😢

10 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

I've recently developed a taste for bourbon.  Until then martinis were my drink of choice.  On my next cruise in September, I'll be in the Haven.  In the Haven Lounge they make a "smoked old fashioned".  I intend to give that a try!  I'll still drink my martinis, but I'm going to try new things!

Elvis

There is such a thing as a smoked manhattan.

11 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

I've recently developed a taste for bourbon.  Until then martinis were my drink of choice.  On my next cruise in September, I'll be in the Haven.  In the Haven Lounge they make a "smoked old fashioned".  I intend to give that a try!  I'll still drink my martinis, but I'm going to try new things!

Elvis

The smoked Old Fashioned is great. Watching them make it is part of the experience for sure.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, REV_Cruiser said:

graphicguyI think the Whistle Pig is a good rye, but not that impressive to drink neat or on the rocks (Too much of a bite).  Good mixed with cola or ginger ale.  McCallan is a great way to end the evening or with a cigar in the lounge.  As you can tell, I usually upgrade to P+, but I can also live quite well with Jack Daniels. Everyone have fun and keep sampling wha they have!

I can definitely drink WP 10 on the rocks, but totally get where you're coming from with the bite. In that same price range I've really started liking Barrel Seagrass and The Nobleman recently, great ryes.

Wish they had WP18... so good.

I will say though WP10 makes an amazing rye old fashioned.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:27 AM, kopiko said:

Just off the Escape last week and the whiskey selection was great! While there was plenty of good selections on the regular drinking package, we did upgrade to the P+ so we could experiment with stuff we've never had before and boy did we have a blast! The Haven bar had all the Macallans, EH Taylor, Blanton's, Woodford, Buffalo Trace, 1792 SB, Old Forester, Gentleman Jack, etc. The Tobacco Road Bar, which is the whiskey bar on the Escape, actually had a few great offerings not available at the Haven bar (1792, both small batch AND full proof, Old Foresters, including my fav 1920, etc.). 

So no worries, whether you have the regular package or the P+, they'll have plenty of good options to choose from!

* If you like cognacs, they also had an excellent selection!

Going on Escape in September and I intend to try everything!  

We were on Breakaway in March of 2022.  While sitting in the Haven Bar I noticed the bottle of Louis XIII cognac on display.  I mentioned to my wife that just once in my life I'd like to sample that, just to see what makes it so good.  Her reply to me, "Why not tonight?"  Never in my life had I loved her more!  It was served to me by the white gloved bartender.  It was in a crystal glass on a silver tray.  The presentation alone was worth the cost of the cognac!  Sergio, the bartender, talked me through sipping and savoring what turned out to be the nectar of the gods!  It was a religious experience!

I'm getting off the track here!  I've recently been introduced to the fine taste of bourbon!  I intend, before this cruise is over, to find my favorite, my brand!  Between the Haven Bar and Tobacco Road I should have no problem!

Elvis

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

Going on Escape in September and I intend to try everything!  

We were on Breakaway in March of 2022.  While sitting in the Haven Bar I noticed the bottle of Louis XIII cognac on display.  I mentioned to my wife that just once in my life I'd like to sample that, just to see what makes it so good.  Her reply to me, "Why not tonight?"  Never in my life had I loved her more!  It was served to me by the white gloved bartender.  It was in a crystal glass on a silver tray.  The presentation alone was worth the cost of the cognac!  Sergio, the bartender, talked me through sipping and savoring what turned out to be the nectar of the gods!  It was a religious experience!

I'm getting off the track here!  I've recently been introduced to the fine taste of bourbon!  I intend, before this cruise is over, to find my favorite, my brand!  Between the Haven Bar and Tobacco Road I should have no problem!

Elvis

I've read that the Louis is not covered by the P+ package.  It's considered an experience, which are not covered by the P+ package.  I don't know from first hand knowledge if this is true or not, but I've seen plenty of post to this fact.

1 minute ago, dbrown84 said:

I've read that the Louis is not covered by the P+ package.  It's considered an experience, which are not covered by the P+ package.  I don't know from first hand knowledge if this is true or not, but I've seen plenty of post to this fact.

No, it wasn't covered!  But what the hell!  If the wife says go for it, who am I to question her logic?  She did pick me!

Elvis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

That is correct, it is an "Experience" and not covered.  However, you do receive either a 20% or 40% discount based upon which package you have (regular or plus).  

The same is true for the "Macallan Tasting Experience".  However, unlike the Louis XIII, each of the Macallan scotches in the tasting individually covered, so you can do your own "tasting",  you just don't get the chocolates and the tutorial.  

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

That is correct, it is an "Experience" and not covered.  However, you do receive either a 20% or 40% discount based upon which package you have (regular or plus).  

The same is true for the "Macallan Tasting Experience".  However, unlike the Louis XIII, each of the Macallan scotches in the tasting individually covered, so you can do your own "tasting",  you just don't get the chocolates and the tutorial.  

So how much was the Louis XIII cognac?

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

IOW, around $480?

My wife doesn't love me that much.

🤪 Honestly, that might have been for a "full serving."  Sadly, I can't find our photo of the pricing, but I believe they had two "sizes" available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

🤪 Honestly, that might have been for a "full serving."  Sadly, I can't find our photo of the pricing, but I believe they had two "sizes" available.

I think it is actually three sizes:

1/2 oz, 1 oz., or 2 oz. 

attached was some old pricing from 2022....

If $400 is now 2 oz price, expect $200 for 1oz.?

$144 with the Plus package ($200, Less 40%=$120 ...plus 20% gratuity= $144 ) 

image.png

• Like 1

Related a while ago that a drunk guy bought those of us sitting at the Haven Bar a shot of the Louis.  I was one of 3 (4 including our generous, but inebriated benefactor.  

Bartender put on white gloves to serve it.

Long and short of it, he paid for the story, not the drink, which to my unsophisticated taste, could have been any number of dark liquors sitting in the well.

• Haha 3