When do we apply for Nexus renewal?

Barwick Cruiser

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

You must declare all goods purchased and gifts received.  Each product is being imported into Canada whether an exemption applies or not.

How do you "...declare all goods purchased and gifts received" when you use a kiosk, do not talk to a human and are not asked by the NEXUS "process" whether you have something to declare?

Edited by lx200gps

Just now, lx200gps said:

How do you "...declare all goods purchased and gifts received" when you use a kiosk, do not talk to a human and are not asked by the NEXUS "process" whether you have something to declare?

Just now, *Miss G* said:

There are no questions at the eGates at Pearson. Just scan and go.  If you have something to declare above your exemption, you do it after the eGate.

The focus of my response was with regard to the above.  Land borders still require the full declaration.

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Sorry, I'm not following. You said you must DECLARE EVERYTHING, yet you say "Just scan and go" which is not explicitly declaring. Can you please clarify.

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Sorry, I'm not following. You said you must DECLARE EVERYTHING, yet you say "Just scan and go" which is not explicitly declaring. Can you please clarify.

Apologies.  I think the lack of clarity is because we’re at cross-purposes. A poster said that her sister had her pass revoked due to not declaring the beer in her car.  This means she was at a land border.  Both you and CDNPolar asked if she hadn’t declared over her allowance.  Since she was at a land border, I responded that everything must be declared whether she was over her allowance or not.

The eGates at the airport have a different process.

Hopefully, I have made things clearer and haven’t muddied the waters further.  😂

As a general comment, I think that there is some minor confusion with respect to exact reporting requirements today, brought about by the introduction of new programs (e.g. Nexus), new technologies (kiosks), different approaches depending upon means of entry (flight, drive, boat [with variations: pleasure, ferry, cruise], bus, train) and the reduced requirement for completing a Declaration Card. Unfortunately, CBSA has yet to compile a single, comprehensive website that would enable someone to quickly determine what is expected of them given a combination of factors.

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

As a general comment, I think that there is some minor confusion with respect to exact reporting requirements today, brought about by the introduction of new programs (e.g. Nexus), new technologies (kiosks), different approaches depending upon means of entry (flight, drive, boat [with variations: pleasure, ferry, cruise], bus, train) and the reduced requirement for completing a Declaration Card. Unfortunately, CBSA has yet to compile a single, comprehensive website that would enable someone to quickly determine what is expected of them given a combination of factors.

Yes - this is what is confusing.

I think that in respect to the confusion on this discussion it is because the first part of the discussion was about a land border.  I have never used my Nexus at a land border so I am not up on the rules.

I think that the discussion got further confused because then the airport arrival got brought into the discussion, because at the Kiosk, there is not even a question any more.

I know my allowable duty free limits, and have always been under the impression that as long as I am under or at these limits, and arriving in Canada by air, that I did not have to make a declaration because I was uncer or at my allowable.

Now, if a Canadian Customs Agent asked me are you bringing anything back, I would say "Yes, and it consists of this and that" and all would be good.  If I knew that I was over my allowable limit then I would tell them that without their asking, because even if you get past this individual without declaring you risk the pull off to secondary inspection once you have your luggage and then here if you are found to be over your limit and not declared, this is when you can get into trouble with your Nexus.

I have been pulled off before and had liquor and gifts but within my limits and all was ok.

I have also declared at the immigration agent being over limit on liquor, and at the point of leaving the luggage hall had the agent there ask what I was over with, and I stated 2 bottles of liquor vs. the one allowed, and he said carry on and did not pull me in.

I think the whole point of what I am asking / suggesting here is that if you are within your limits and the agent asks no questions, you don't have to volunteer any information.

If the agent asks "are you bringing anything into Canada" then I believe that in your limit or outside of your limit you must declare.

• Like 1

Not a renewal, new application. I applied in June 2023, got approved in April. Did my interview at a land boarder May 2nd and got my card today.

Lois

• Like 1