Cancellation/Moving Cruise my experience

Dinglebert

We were due to be on Ventura for 14 nights on the 1st July.  Flights to Southampton and back from Heathrow booked, car parking at airport booked, hotel booked and coach from Southampton to Heathrow booked.   This is a cruise we had to move from 2022 to 2023 already.   Due to reasons of health of a close family relative we were no longer able to go.  I won't go into detail but there was/is a real posibility of having events happen either before we went or during the cruise meaning flights home.   It was difficult to think the cruise could be enjoyed under these circumstances.

The only option I could see was to try to move the cruise to 2024.  The same cruise was available leaving 20 July next year.   While I do have insurance the difficulty in getting a doctors letter stating dates etc for someone who is not actually going on the cruise is lets say just a bit problematic.

Reading the P+O webpage is was also clear given the closeness of the cruise that they were not under any obligation to do anything.

I fully expected to be losing quite a bit of money yesterday.   However when I phoned, explained the circumstances they could not have been more helpful.  No problem moving the cruise.  We were a saver Superior Deluxe Deck 9 aft.  We are now a Select Superior Deluxe Deck 9 mid aft.  A bit more expensive but there is a big chunk of onboard spend which my shareowner credit will also add to.

Holiday Inn at Southampton which I had booked with points were also very accommodating when they didn't need to be.  Points returned and I will book again when I am able to in August.

BA flights were were also points flights were also cancelled easily and points returned.

Airport parking again didn't have to under T+C's have given us the credit for the booking to be used within a year.

The only thing I can't cancel is the coach travel but given I used Tesco points its completely minor.

What was looking to be a very difficult day turned out to be an far "easier" process than I thought. 

Obviously I would rather not be in the situation we are in but its also a part of life we all have to experience.

So thank you P+O and all the others for making it simple.

Depending on the circumstances we will try to get away this summer.  It will probably be a cruise but its  wait and see at the moment.

Edited by Dinglebert
  • Like 31

That’s really good to hear Dinglebert, so many negative experiences around that it is so helpful to hear that sometimes things just work out. I hope your family situation stabilises and you are able to get a break this summer. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

We were due to be on Ventura for 14 nights on the 1st July.  Flights to Southampton and back from Heathrow booked, car parking at airport booked, hotel booked and coach from Southampton to Heathrow booked.   This is a cruise we had to move from 2022 to 2023 already.   Due to reasons of health of a close family relative we were no longer able to go.  I won't go into detail but there was/is a real posibility of having events happen either before we went or during the cruise meaning flights home.   It was difficult to think the cruise could be enjoyed under these circumstances.

The only option I could see was to try to move the cruise to 2024.  The same cruise was available leaving 20 July next year.   While I do have insurance the difficulty in getting a doctors letter stating dates etc for someone who is not actually going on the cruise is lets say just a bit problematic.

Reading the P+O webpage is was also clear given the closeness of the cruise that they were not under any obligation to do anything.

I fully expected to be losing quite a bit of money yesterday.   However when I phoned, explained the circumstances they could not have been more helpful.  No problem moving the cruise.  We were a saver Superior Deluxe Deck 9 aft.  We are now a Select Superior Deluxe Deck 9 mid aft.  A bit more expensive but there is a big chunk of onboard spend which my shareowner credit will also add to.

Holiday Inn at Southampton which I had booked with points were also very accommodating when they didn't need to be.  Points returned and I will book again when I am able to in August.

BA flights were were also points flights were also cancelled easily and points returned.

Airport parking again didn't have to under T+C's have given us the credit for the booking to be used within a year.

The only thing I can't cancel is the coach travel but given I used Tesco points its completely minor.

What was looking to be a very difficult day turned out to be an far "easier" process than I thought. 

Obviously I would rather not be in the situation we are in but its also a part of life we all have to experience.

So thank you P+O and all the others for making it simple.

Depending on the circumstances we will try to get away this summer.  It will probably be a cruise but its  wait and see at the moment.

Nice to see companies stepping up to the plate . I'm sure your thanks to them means a lot.

• Like 3

I have just had a very minor similar experience.  Booked some hotels for a road trip, but husband became unwell. One of the hotels had already charged me as per their booking conditions, but refunded me which I didn't expect.

• Like 2

Nice to read positive and good outcomes from these companies .

All to often we go on review sites to read loads of comments that are complaints

rather than compliments .

The old saying "if it's bad tell us but if good then tell others "

Great to see happy outcome posts 🙂

• Like 3