How will AI Transform HAL & the Entire Cruise Industry

mcrcruiser

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

That may be fine if you need to order a beverage but if you have a medical emergency it may not be great.  Sure it could work the background ordering the appropriate medical services but people under duress want another human. 

After dealing with a medical emergency on NCL, I can said that AI handling would've probably been better. The crew was woefully ill-prepared. I had to tell them to contact medical services and to stop people filming my partner seizing and bleeding on the floor of the buffet.

Edited by ExpatBride

8 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

After dealing with a medical emergency on NCL, I can said that AI handling would've probably been better. The crew was woefully ill-prepared. I had to tell them to contact medical services and to stop people filming my partner seizing and bleeding on the floor of the buffet.

All I can say is OMG, Wow - so sorry you had that experience and hope all is well now.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Finally have you ever used a cruise line website - they are at least 15 years behind   Technology has dog years so do the math how far behind they are. 

This. I am not worried yet. Probably won't still be cruising by the time AI is a factor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I hope the Smithsonian Institution is taking oral histories of those who grew up and explored the world .......BT - Before Technology and BTV Before TV.

There is something called StoryCorps that takes oral histories that are conversations between any two people, and all are archived, I believe at the Library of Congress.

On 6/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, mcrcruiser said:

We see AI as a boon to not only HAL ,CCL but the entire cruise industry . With lasboe being a big problem across many industries AI is the answer  .

Cruise line specific AI can do many functions now being done by people & not only quicker but better .The biggest hurdle for the cruise lines or any business employing Ai will be the initial cost & then the maintenance cost after  .However ,that being said imo the cost will justify the use  & ultimate savings 

Who the hell is lasboe?

• Like 2

On HAL, the changes will be simple.  The Guest Relations staff will be replaced with robots who will carefully listen to the complaints and than responsd with "we will send an e-mail to the appropriate department."  That will eliminate a dozen employees, and nothing will change from the current responses.  The hotel/general manager will also be replaced with a robot who will sit in its office (24/7) and never answer the door, respond to a question, but will always have their picture on the TV..as a senior officer.

And than there will be the new HAL robot entertainers.  They will play pre-recorded music, read EXP scripts, give pre-recorded lectures on shore excursions, etc.  Other robots will be called Step One Dancers, be programmed with 3 or 4 dance shows, and perform those same shows for at least a decade.   And the bar tenders will be replaced with robot bartenders who will have a permanent smile, have a pre-recorded response "sorry, we do not have that aboard,"  and "we haven't had that for months because  of a supply chain issue"  and than will go on with their job.  

The good news is that the robot staff in the Lido will quicky clear away dirty dishes and sanitize the tables.  And the robots will be trained to chase away anyone who occupies tables for more than an hour without eating/drinking.  

Hank

P.S.  Lighten up folks...the future is now

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

On HAL, the changes will be simple.  The Guest Relations staff will be replaced with robotsThe hotel/general manager will also be replaced with a robot who will sit in its office (24/7) 

And than there will be the new HAL robot entertainers.  And the bar tenders will be replaced with robot bartenders who will have a permanent smile,...

What could be better! 👍

It will start with trying to optimize operations in minor ways.  Systems networked so that performance can be tracked and failures predicted.  It will expand into ship event scheduling.  Using a combination of your activity preferences, attendance, as well as the projected preferences based on the demographics the activities offered during a sailing can be customized. 

This can also extend to customer experience.  The technology is out where a screen can focus a message just on you and utilizing a tracking camera can target the message just to you.  To get the second screen, I was literally having to stand on someone’s shoulder, and utilizing medallions or room cards could serve as the tracker instead of the camera above. The flags are actually mirrors pointing to the main screen.  With all the screens customized to you, they can start doing more targeted in ship advertising.  

IMG_1840.thumb.jpeg.fe34f697f62eef52662e0e912b3f395f.jpegIMG_1846.thumb.jpeg.1cdad88ee1ae778e645c5f0691ac8149.jpegIMG_1851.thumb.jpeg.6ba3f2933eec319686c7d05b448152b9.jpegIMG_1850.thumb.jpeg.504e58cc947314cec465899740848f51.jpegIMG_1849.thumb.jpeg.7228210cfd43bd074127beed03591657.jpegIMG_1848.thumb.jpeg.0560c05d40d736ef2f91443e645a5787.jpeg