Convince me to keep my Crown Princess cruise

amcankid

5 hours ago, amcankid said:

Simple solution for that. Walk across the street and up a block or so and have Uber or Lyft pick you up there

Simple solution - I like it.  I should have thought of that!

18 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Ugh, I need to learn the tricks; first time sailing out of SF for a Thanksgiving cruise--we will have a group of 15, including a young child and elderly family members. We just did a cruise out of Seattle a few weeks ago that had very efficient embarkation so was hoping for the same...

It's going to depend on which pier - 27 is the original one and I have never had an issue going out of that pier. 35 is much smaller and when we sailed in April 2022 the line was about three hours long. 

We will be using the smaller pier in October and I WILL report back about it. From what I have read on the boards, it's helpful to get the earliest boarding time. But if it's still a super long line, some people relax at a restaurant nearby and wait it out. 

• Thanks 1

Just off 21 days crown alaska on june 13.....it is a good ship and i saw nothing major re age as everything i used worked fine except they seem to have problems with the ice machines in buffet area but do provide big plastic containers full of ice and not a huge deal...saw several guys working on the machines but only a few actually worked...

crew is/was great and i thought service was overall excellent..

.entertainment on princess like most other lines leaves a lot to be desired....but there is plenty enough to satisfy most..my biggest disappointment was the quality or lack of by the onboard lecture bunch...their presentations were bland pretty boring and the graphics/pics they used were just awful....surely they can do better ....my guess is a talent agency provides these university type lecturers but do a lousy job in vetting them..

..the best by far was by linda riggins (one presentation only) who won the ididerade race and did a great presentation but of course that is for alaska cruises only..

yes showers are sorta small but unless u are a very large person they are fine....

and i actually prefer the older ships that still have a library and a wrap around promenade deck to the newer floating shopping centers.

overall i give crown good marks

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 8:32 PM, jimdee3636 said:

I've seen this before. People book a cruise on a particular ship on a particular line (not just Princess), and then ask afterward if they did the right thing. Why not ask these questions ahead of time?

Hindsight - 2nd thoughts - I research but still question if I've done the right thing. Beginning of old age most likely 🥺 

On 6/15/2023 at 1:02 PM, dockman said:

..the best by far was by linda riggins (one presentation only) who won the ididerade race and did a great presentation but of course that is for alaska cruises only..

I think you meant Libby Riddles.  and yes she's worth arranging your schedule around.  fascinating woman!  😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miagirl said:

I think you meant Libby Riddles.  and yes she's worth arranging your schedule around.  fascinating woman!  😊

yes....she was wonderful and can sure tell a story...what an interesting and real person....way better presentation than the university professors who i found boring speakers with horrible graphics and overall poor presentations

7 minutes ago, dockman said:

yes....she was wonderful and can sure tell a story...what an interesting and real person....way better presentation than the university professors who i found boring speakers with horrible graphics and overall poor presentations

We had Rachel Cartwright on our sailing and she was amazing! One of the best naturalists speakers I have seen on a Princess cruise. Though she left the ship on May 23rd. She is on Cunard this summer now.

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

We had Rachel Cartwright on our sailing and she was amazing! One of the best naturalists speakers I have seen on a Princess cruise. Though she left the ship on May 23rd. She is on Cunard this summer now.

i just missed her as boarded on may 23....our speaker i thought was about as exciting as watching paint dry and his graphics looked like a 12 year old did them...though i suspect a 12 y.o. might have done better.

Just now, dockman said:

i just missed her as boarded on may 23....our speaker i thought was about as exciting as watching paint dry and his graphics looked like a 12 year old did them...though i suspect a 12 y.o. might have done better.

Allan?

I'm sailing on the Crown Princess in July and I'm not as concerned about the shower head as I am about the mattress. I've read that the mattresses on this ship are really poor to the point that some people complained about getting a bad back from sleeping on them. I really hope it's not as bad as it sounds as getting a decent night's sleep can go a long way towards an enjoyable vacation.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 2:53 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

I would choose to cruise on the Crown over any Royal Class ship.

I would avoid cruising out of San Francisco at all costs. Worst embarkation out of a LOT of cruises. 

I'm glad to hear this.  And I really respect your opinion.  We've booked a round Australia on this ship in 2025, seems like a long time away 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Garycruz said:

I'm sailing on the Crown Princess in July and I'm not as concerned about the shower head as I am about the mattress. I've read that the mattresses on this ship are really poor to the point that some people complained about getting a bad back from sleeping on them. I really hope it's not as bad as it sounds as getting a decent night's sleep can go a long way towards an enjoyable vacation.

We were on the Crown for 28 days March/April and we thought our mattress was fine.  Everyone has different preferences and ours is for a softer mattress.  I have a problem sleeping on a firm mattress.  Hopefully yours will be ok, if not ask your room steward if there is anything they can do.  Good luck.

19 hours ago, Garycruz said:

I'm thinking the same. Can't imagine having OLD bed issues. So many ships in the fleet had new mattresses switched over pre-covid. Fingers crossed. 

For those on board now, or recently, please tell us your beds were fine. TIA

21 hours ago, Garycruz said:

I was on the Crown repositioning cruise to Alaska in late April and on the Crown the year before that, my beds were very comfortable — wish I could take it home with me comfortable.

However, find a way to cover the ultrasensitive motion detector nightlights (particularly near the bed) because that will go off at the slightest bit of motion (like my foot slightly hanging off the bed). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, [Big Z] said:

However, find a way to cover the ultrasensitive motion detector nightlights (particularly near the bed) because that will go off at the slightest bit of motion (like my foot slightly hanging off the bed). 

I was on the Royal..  There were sensors under the two end tables.  I did not have problems with the lights.  They were aimed for the floor, not the ceiling. 

All I hear is complaints about the lights; am I the only one that likes them?

7 minutes ago, damiross said:

I was on the Royal..  There were sensors under the two end tables.  I did not have problems with the lights.  They were aimed for the floor, not the ceiling. 

All I hear is complaints about the lights; am I the only one that likes them?

I think it's the difference between light and heavy sleepers. That bright light wakes me right up if hubby gets up in the night. And if I get up, I don't want so much light because it will wake me up too much. So we cover the sensor. I have always brought an LED candle that stays lit at night on the shelf by the bathroom and that has been enough for us to find our way in the dark. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, [Big Z] said:

I was on the Crown repositioning cruise to Alaska in late April and on the Crown the year before that, my beds were very comfortable — wish I could take it home with me comfortable.

May I ask what deck you were on? We will be on the Emerald deck in November on the Crown and are definitely firm mattress sleepers. We were just on the Royal Princess (also Emerald deck) and those mattresses were great. Thanks!

Regarding the sensor lights, I ended up covering ours with some fabric tape...it is mostly because our young son is also with us and that would definitely wake him up!

2 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

May I ask what deck you were on? We will be on the Emerald deck in November on the Crown and are definitely firm mattress sleepers. We were just on the Royal Princess (also Emerald deck) and those mattresses were great. Thanks!

Regarding the sensor lights, I ended up covering ours with some fabric tape...it is mostly because our young son is also with us and that would definitely wake him up!

Plaza both times. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, theloo said:

I didn't know you could leave a vehicle at a BART station.  I will have to look into that.  I assume it's outdoor parking.  Is it secure?  Thank you.

P.S.  Could you report back after your return on how easy it was to park at Dublin & get to and from with luggage?  

Some of BART stations have parking long term parking, for a fee, of course.  You can and should reserve it in advance.  The Pleasanton station by Stoneridge mall has a garage structure and I believe the Pleasanton/Dublin station only has outside parking.  Not sure if the Pleasanton station offers long term parking.  

While the transportation is fabulous and made easy to do, even with luggage, parking at BART is not without problems.  But, any parking area seems to be a target for thieves now days.  
I have read that BART is having some funding issues but also heard they have hired more security in and around their stations, as well as on their trains.  

• Thanks 1