What Exactly is the Walk for a Cure Event?

BobbiSox

As far as I can tell, this event requires a $25.00 donation, which is then donated to the cause, in Holland  Amercia's name. Participants are given a tee shirt for their contibution. Is that correct? 

8 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

As far as I can tell, this event requires a $25.00 donation, which is then donated to the cause, in Holland  Amercia's name. Participants are given a tee shirt for their contibution. Is that correct? 

Yes that's how it works. There will be a Walk on each cruise. It's usually Breast Cancer, but last year they started doing it for Ukraine. You can choose to actually walk or just take the t-shirt.

Since somewhere around 2014 it's been "Walk for A Cause" rather than "Walk for THE Cure" after about 2014 when Susan G Komen dropped support of Planned Parenthood.  Komen has apparently copyrighted "Cure" and also possibly "the" in this context.

The current (up to Ukraine) distribution was to several cancer causes in the countries where the majority of HAL passengers originate.  When I walked on the Eurodam last year it was particularly moving as one of the crew leaders had been on the Volendam directly serving Ukrainian refugees.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also, the $25 contribution is a 'minimum' and you are free to increase as you wish.  As it is charged to your onboard account it may* be a good way to spend unused OBC.

* can non-refundable OBC be used?  Anyone have a definitive answer?

• Like 2

I’ve done it twice! It’s really fun. The first time was last year on an Alaskan cruise and I ran most of it. It was so funny because I was worried about keeping track of my laps (being all official) but it was quite cold and at some point I realized I was the only one left! Hah! All the walkers had quit early and gone inside. Too funny. The nice thing is it’s not a serious thing - just to raise money and have fun. On a side note, I did see a lot of seals and other animals in the water so that was very cool. Afterwards, they had hot chocolate and snacks. The staff was fabulous. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BeachBum47 said:

I’ve done it twice! It’s really fun. The first time was last year on an Alaskan cruise and I ran most of it. It was so funny because I was worried about keeping track of my laps (being all official) but it was quite cold and at some point I realized I was the only one left! Hah! All the walkers had quit early and gone inside. Too funny. The nice thing is it’s not a serious thing - just to raise money and have fun. On a side note, I did see a lot of seals and other animals in the water so that was very cool. Afterwards, they had hot chocolate and snacks. The staff was fabulous. 

On our recent Canada/NE cruise, the walk was on the  on the St Laurence seaway and we saw multiple whales (at least 3) which was an unexpected bonus for us on that cruise. We knew there were whales, but they never mention sightings or keeping an eye out for them, so didn't expect to see any. Another benefit from the Walk for a Cause. 🙃

• Haha 1