Silverseas vs. Celebrity The Retreat

NanaChar

19 hours ago, econprofessor said:

Hi,

I wrote this review awhile back.  I hope you find this helpful.  As a note, I now have 3 more Silversea cruises booked, so clearly, I liked them!

Yes, this was a great review at the time, thanks (and good to re-read it).  My opinions haven't changed since then--and guessing your haven't either.

On 6/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, econprofessor said:

Hi,

I wrote this review awhile back.  I hope you find this helpful.  As a note, I now have 3 more Silversea cruises booked, so clearly, I liked them!

Thank you.  This is very helpful.  I wonder how the Edge Class would stack up.  Since, I think that you might have a say on the included wine selection, is Silver Seas a step up from Celebrity. 

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2023 at 11:50 AM, Whinenowine said:

Yes, this was a great review at the time, thanks (and good to re-read it).  My opinions haven't changed since then--and guessing your haven't either.

Since I think you might enjoy a glass or two of wine, what is your opinion of the included wine selection on SilverSeas.  Is it a cut above Celebrity.  Although Celebrity has nice wines, I'm getting a little bored with them.

28 minutes ago, NanaChar said:

Thank you.  This is very helpful.  I wonder how the Edge Class would stack up.  Since, I think that you might have a say on the included wine selection, is Silver Seas a step up from Celebrity. 

One big difference on Edge class is that the Luminae galley is separate from the main restaurant galley.  That means you can't order off the MDR menu if nothing on the (limited) Luminae menu appeals, as you can on M- and S-class ships.

5 hours ago, NanaChar said:

I wonder how the Edge Class would stack up.  Since, I think that you might have a say on the included wine selection, is Silver Seas a step up from Celebrity. 

I haven't been on any Edge class ships yet. 

As for the wine, yes, I thought it was a step up from Celebrity.  The food in Alantide was as well.  More fresh ingredients.

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One big difference on Edge class is that the Luminae galley is separate from the main restaurant galley.  That means you can't order off the MDR menu if nothing on the (limited) Luminae menu appeals, as you can on M- and S-class ships.

That would be a disappointment for me.  I liked having the additional options from MDR.

On 6/14/2023 at 10:00 PM, drron29 said:

Just to point out the entertainment on Silversea will be changing. I got on very well with the Voices of Silversea on our last cruise on the Moon finishing at the end of May. Their contract finishes in mid August and they were certain they will be the last of the voices on Silversea.

Contracts on the other ships they thought would be finishing June or July.

So by September the entertainment is likely to be very different.

Yay 

We have been in Retreat for quite a few trips with X but only on Edge class ships.  As for SS, we have only been on the Silver Moon (newer ship) twice with several more bookings next year.

Really enjoy the Retreat on the modern ships with so much space both in the cabins, your own restaurant, swimming area, bar, large comfortable lounge with so few people.

SS although a smaller ship seems more crowded.  But we love SALT kitchen and are happy to share that space with other chefs.

It is really hard to compare the two because the vibe is so different.  X ships have more action around the ship late into the night and SS is much more sedate but with great speakers on each destination (scientists, archeologists, writers, etc).

We enjoy each but for different reasons.

On 6/23/2023 at 3:30 PM, NanaChar said:

Since I think you might enjoy a glass or two of wine, what is your opinion of the included wine selection on SilverSeas.  Is it a cut above Celebrity.  Although Celebrity has nice wines, I'm getting a little bored with them.

Whatever gave you that idea??!!   😇

Yes I've been known to find some veritas in my vino (normally it's the last glass in the bottles that does it).  Big caveat that I've not cruised on SS since the pandemic, while I have on X.  From my recollection the basic SS wines were better than X (not dramatically so, but they definitely seemed a step up to me) and the SS wine lists were MUCH better.  Can't comment on how things are now, but I'm sure others can.  I've got a decent wine stash at home, so on X I just bring several nice bottles on board and drink those instead of ordering off their list.  They tend to be much better and cheaper than the X list, if I do say so myself!  And given DH is a lightweight, there's always a third of the bottles left for the sommelier staff to share and enjoy.  😉

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:57 AM, riandei said:

We sailed this winter on an M-class ship.  Came home sold my stock and said NEVER AGAIN.  WE FOUND THE FOOD DREADFUL.  We were not in suite class.  It was like sailing and eating at applebees every night.

sorry i sold my stock tho as it has gone up, and it appears SS may now offer the credit.

And likely you paid Applebee prices for your cruise, so it’s not a fair comparison.  The food at Luminae, the restaurant for suite guests, is the one to compare with Silversea.

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

And likely you paid Applebee prices for your cruise, so it’s not a fair comparison.  The food at Luminae, the restaurant for suite guests, is the one to compare with Silversea.

Yes, it was a inexpensive cruise.  But if my choice is silversea or crystal or a suite on celebrity, for ME my choice is clear.

1 minute ago, riandei said:

Yes, it was a inexpensive cruise.  But if my choice is silversea or crystal or a suite on celebrity, for ME my choice is clear.

That’s fine, I waver sometimes between Silversea and Celebrity, each have their strengths and weaknesses. I just hope you’re not basing the decision on the food you got in the main dining room since you’ll never be eating there if you’re in a suite.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, riandei said:

Hope there's more to that decision than main dining room experience.  We were on the first two cruises of the restart for Constellation (another M class ship) in a Royal Suite (~ comparable to a Silver Suite), and dining experience was the best we've had on Celebrity in years.  Our most recent on an S class was almost as good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Hope there's more to that decision than main dining room experience.  We were on the first two cruises of the restart for Constellation (another M class ship) in a Royal Suite (~ comparable to a Silver Suite), and dining experience was the best we've had on Celebrity in years.  Our most recent on an S class was almost as good.

Good to know, thanks!  I would not choose X for me and DH, but if I were travelling with family, I think X is a good option.