Getting to port from Sorrento

cabincop

I’m thinking of doing a TA from Civitavecchia to NY. I’d like to stay in Sorrento as my base. I can’t take the train because I have a bad leg & luggage. What are my other options? I’d hate to have to go into Rome & then to port. Thank you. 

Unless you are willing to pay hundred of euros for a private car transfer, then a transfer through Rome is your only option.  You can take either Marozzi or Flix bus from Sorrento to Rome, followed by either a bus, taxi, car service or shared shuttle from Rome to Civitavecchia.

44 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Unless you are willing to pay hundred of euros for a private car transfer, then a transfer through Rome is your only option.  You can take either Marozzi or Flix bus from Sorrento to Rome, followed by either a bus, taxi, car service or shared shuttle from Rome to Civitavecchia.

Ughh I kind of thought so. I need to see if I can catch a plane maybe to Rome from Napoli. Also I’ll see how long bus trip is. Thank you

Flixbus offers a combination, bus to Naples followed by a bus to Rome Fiumicino airport, which is better if you're going to the cruise port than going all the way into the city of Rome.

This option takes forever, however.  It's 1:40 from Sorrento to Naples, then a two hour wait, and a three hour ride to Rome.

It is cheap, however.  Only 22 euro.

32 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Flixbus offers a combination, bus to Naples followed by a bus to Rome Fiumicino airport, which is better if you're going to the cruise port than going all the way into the city of Rome.

This option takes forever, however.  It's 1:40 from Sorrento to Naples, then a two hour wait, and a three hour ride to Rome.

It is cheap, however.  Only 22 euro.

I appreciate all the info. I was in Sorrento about 6yrs ago on a day trip from a cruise. So I guess my best most expensive option would be to fly from Napoli to Rome. I checked flights are about $76. Then hire Rome in Limo to take me to port.  Heck I may hire them to get be to Napoli airport. I’ll be like a package they have to get to Civitavecchia, lol. It’ll be a crazy travel day. I hate those. Thank you again. 

Unfortunately, Sorrento is one of those places that isn't easy to connect with Civitavecchia without at least a couple modes of transportation (unless, as euro cruiser said, you are willing to pay several hundred euros for car transport....)

Since you are in planning stages, is it possible that you could find somewhere else where you'd be able to spend your pre-cruise time that would both make you happy and also make it easier to get to your ship?  What time of year is your TA cruise? 

Without knowing how bad your leg is, it's hard to recommend anything, but I feel that taking a plane is likely to involve a number of the same hassles as taking the train in that smaller planes often park on the tarmac and you will have to walk to the plane and up the stairs, then the same in reverse at Rome plus lots of walking in the airport. I guess at least you'll be minus any checked luggage (but you have to claim it and get it to wherever your driver is waiting....)

• Like 1

Thanks cruisemom I can walk well enough. I just won’t be able to manage stairs with a suitcase. I wish there was a water taxi that could take me from Sorrento to the port. Lol someone should start a business. I’m thinking I will fly into Rome then take flight to Napoli. Car service to Sorrento. I’ll use Rome in Limo. I’ll also use them for a day trip or 2 while in Sorrento. Sadly I’ll do same on return. Then hopefully find someone to share transport from airport to port. It’s a lot of schlepping

There is another option, for some, which I almost hesitate to mention.  Have you considered just renting a car (upon your arrival in Italy) and dropping it at Civitavecchia?    Of course that assumes you are willing (and able) to drive in Italy   Driving around the Amalfi Coast is always a hassle (because of traffic) but doable but we would suggest using a ferry or bus to go to Positano because of the parking issues at that town.

Hank

Maybe you can make the train possible.  Could you pack in such a way that you only need to take a small bag to Sorrento?  If so, you can check your luggage at the train station in Rome and be able to deal with the train with only a small carry on.  Upon return hire the car service to pick you up at the train station and take you to the port.  That seems a lot less cumbersome than the flying option.

As for the other possibilities, when you add up the cost of a car service from Sorrento to Naples (about 100 euro), plus a car service from Rome to Civitavecchai (about 150 euro), plus the flight it's starting to get close to the fee for the car service door to door.  How much more would you pay for the ease?

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There is another option, for some, which I almost hesitate to mention.  Have you considered just renting a car (upon your arrival in Italy) and dropping it at Civitavecchia?    Of course that assumes you are willing (and able) to drive in Italy   Driving around the Amalfi Coast is always a hassle (because of traffic) but doable but we would suggest using a ferry or bus to go to Positano because of the parking issues at that town.

Hank

I hate driving & wouldn’t enjoy it.  Thank you tho 

9 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Maybe you can make the train possible.  Could you pack in such a way that you only need to take a small bag to Sorrento?  If so, you can check your luggage at the train station in Rome and be able to deal with the train with only a small carry on.  Upon return hire the car service to pick you up at the train station and take you to the port.  That seems a lot less cumbersome than the flying option.

As for the other possibilities, when you add up the cost of a car service from Sorrento to Naples (about 100 euro), plus a car service from Rome to Civitavecchai (about 150 euro), plus the flight it's starting to get close to the fee for the car service door to door.  How much more would you pay for the ease?

I’m at the point in my life where I prefer comfort over cost. You make a good point when you add up all the costs of everything. Maybe I’ll see how much a car service would be from Sorrento to port.