Just how much of a problem ARE interlopers in the YC?

mafig

18 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

I trust everyone in YC, who observes this problem, especially when locks are broken, reports it immediately to YC staff and to Security.

Yes. This other lock was never operating since the ship left, Civitavecchia. We filmed it and reported it to an officer. Learned our lesson on the Divina having our time spoiled on our first Ocean Cay experience. Again it is not a security problem for Security personnel. It is a YC interloper problem that both the YC guests and the overwhelmed YC staff just have to contend with. Found that bringing this to YC Director's attention did not help, just agreed it was a problem beyond his pay grade. Found speaking with officer who was walking the early morning deck with a notepad taking notes was the one to speak with. The lock was fixed by end of cruise to allow YC guests out but not in.

• Thanks 2

I don't see any motivation for MSC to prevent "interlopers". It's a free sample of the goods that might entice people who haven't booked YC to buy it next time. The more demand they can build for YC, the more money they get. It costs them very little money to have a few extra people in for a couple drinks or dinner or even a plate of seafood.

The risk is maybe causing some annoyance to a few people in YC. But as already been stated in this post, most YC people wouldn't go so far as to not sail again. And even if they did, MSC already has your money this cruise. Your money does your talking, and it's saying the status quo is acceptable.

For most people, this is how it goes: you're happy sailing lower categories until you get a taste of higher ones. Then you're hooked and you don't go back. They know they have the current YC guests already, so why not try to hook more? And if current YC guests get annoyed enough at interlopers, they have a new Explora product to sell you on.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

I don't see any motivation for MSC to prevent "interlopers". It's a free sample of the goods that might entice people who haven't booked YC to buy it next time. The more demand they can build for YC, the more money they get. It costs them very little money to have a few extra people in for a couple drinks or dinner or even a plate of seafood.

The risk is maybe causing some annoyance to a few people in YC. But as already been stated in this post, most YC people wouldn't go so far as to not sail again. And even if they did, MSC already has your money this cruise. Your money does your talking, and it's saying the status quo is acceptable.

For most people, this is how it goes: you're happy sailing lower categories until you get a taste of higher ones. Then you're hooked and you don't go back. They know they have the current YC guests already, so why not try to hook more? And if current YC guests get annoyed enough at interlopers, they have a new Explora product to sell you on.

"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

I think it's more likely the poachers will just plan on another cheap Bella cruise, refining their infiltration technique on the next go. If they're caught, they'll just return to their Easy Plus drinking elsewhere on the ship. No consequences.

As far as disgruntled YCers heading to Explora in a huff, I'm not confident that will be an option for all. For example, any YC cruiser who finds the butler service to be an major component of the experience will find Explora an expensive alternative. Explora only provides butlers for their top-tier suite category: Residences. Actually, Explora feels the job title of "butler" is too quotidian, preferring to say, "Private butler services from our Residence Hosts."

On this year's mid-December, 9-night, Miami roundtrip cruise, a Residence Host for your cruising needs will cost more than $19,000 for the entry-level Residence. Explora Journeys isn't a cruise line that is "just like YC, but throughout the whole ship." 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skipsaur said:

Sorry I totally disagree with you , pre Covid they ran tours at around $15 for people to see areas of the ships including YC and I believe you could also purchase a "day pass" something like $100. We pay for theYTC privileges so why shouldn't everyone, as for your comment about new ships I like the ones I have sailed on in YC for a total of 76 days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skipsaur said:

For most people, this is how it goes: you're happy sailing lower categories until you get a taste of higher ones. Then you're hooked and you don't go back. They know they have the current YC guests already, so why not try to hook more?

Sounds plausible...We are hooked. 

8 hours ago, no1talks said:

Residence Host for your cruising needs will cost more than $19,000 for the entry-level Residence. Explora Journeys isn't a cruise line that is "just like YC, but throughout the whole ship." 

We wonder if we share a resident host as we do our butler. Or we get our own “genie”.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I stopped and had to look this new word (for me) up... will see if this Explora "residence host" is as 'accommodating' as our 'quotidian' butler on MSC at end of this year. (God-willing)

December 13th perhaps?

11 hours ago, skipsaur said:

You’re just punking everyone. Right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I can't see spending my time on a ship policing and deciding which passenger belongs where, taking photos and tracking down the ship's officers to show them my documentation.

It reminds me of the renters who would rent one of the homes by us in the Keys and then would fuss about the "homeless" person pushing a beat up shopping cart and picking up cans, plastic bags, and other garbage along the highway and other streets.

They would fuss until someone would explain that the homeless bum was one of the richest people on the island and he was doing his bit to keep the Key clean.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Personally, I can't see spending my time on a ship policing and deciding which passenger belongs where, taking photos and tracking down the ship's officers to show them my documentation.

It reminds me of the renters who would rent one of the homes by us in the Keys and then would fuss about the "homeless" person pushing a beat up shopping cart and picking up cans, plastic bags, and other garbage along the highway and other streets.

They would fuss until someone would explain that the homeless bum was one of the richest people on the island and he was doing his bit to keep the Key clean.

Feeling a little green, are we?

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

You’re just punking everyone. Right?

Sure, b 

If MSC wanted to prevent unauthorized entry, they would, simple as that. From the photos earlier in this thread, one access is an unlocked gate. Security isn't rocket science, it's not like the bridge has a similar interloper issue. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Feeling a little green, are we?

I have no idea what this means, could you please expand? Do you mean someone is green as in inexperienced? Or queasy? Neither of those definitions fits what the person was talking about. Or is it some obscure reference to an old black and white movie or something?

8 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

I have no idea what this means, could you please expand? Do you mean someone is green as in inexperienced? Or queasy? Neither of those definitions fits what the person was talking about. Or is it some obscure reference to an old black and white movie or something?

I had the same trouble with "punked", till I went to the Urban Dictionary. I didn't like one definition of what happens between cellmates, so I continued until I found a more 'genteel' definition that more suited our fellow poster.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

7 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

Oh you get reference alright, as others have.   
And you get “being cute points” too!!😃

Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I had the same trouble with "punked", till I went to the Urban Dictionary. I didn't like one definition of what happens between cellmates, so I continued until I found a more 'genteel' definition that more suited our fellow poster.

I confess, I too had to go to UD. Hadn’t heard of the cellmate definition. Definitely not where I was going. 🤣🤣

I’m just a genteel kinda guy!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Oh you get reference alright, as others have.   
And you get “being cute points” too!!😃

Enjoy your cruise. 

Nope, really don't understand the reference but okay, same to you!👍

Looked it up on Urban Dictionary even but came up with nothing.

"Punked" I knew the definition but didn't know it came from an old MTV show, so I learned something there too.

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We wonder if we share a resident host as we do our butler. Or we get our own “genie”.

Shared hosts. Note the use of the plural in the description of the service for the regular suites.
"Private butler services from our Residence Hosts."

Now, notice the use of the singular "Manager" in the service description for the Owner's Residence.
"Dedicated private butler services by the Residence Manager."

The Residence Manager is possibly the same job we YC rubes call "Head Butler."

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

"Security isn't rocket science, it's not like the bridge has a similar interloper issue." 

That's because there are no lobster tails and frozen toblerones served on the bridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Well if torches and pitchforks are a possibility, I'll bring my smoking jacket the next time we're in YC.

YoungFrankenstein.thumb.jpg.e2e9c62f5e9c383b3585c4283320c1fc.jpg

When I read "torches and pitchforks" this is exactly the movie that I thought of.

• Like 2