Rescue off the Ovation in the Norwegian Sea

bizinsider

Interesting morning today on the Ovation. Health emergency, we were told. Two folks lifted off. I tried to post a brief video, but to no avail. And (hoping not to jinx it, the Internet has been quite good.) My wife @maryogreen will include it on her travel blog themodernpostcard.com with her broader review of the trip.

image.thumb.png.56f21301f66d9cb0847f1381c36705da.png

1 hour ago, bizinsider said:

Interesting morning today on the Ovation. Health emergency, we were told. Two folks lifted off. I tried to post a brief video, but to no avail. And (hoping not to jinx it, the Internet has been quite good.) My wife @maryogreen will include it on her travel blog themodernpostcard.com with her broader review of the trip.

image.thumb.png.56f21301f66d9cb0847f1381c36705da.png

Wow!  We were totally unaware that this was happening.  I do hope the person will be ok.  

• Like 1

Is that a passenger (or a rescuer) hanging onto a rope under the helicopter?

Did the helicopter land on the ship and pick up the two passengers?

What type of emergency would result in two passengers being involved?

Hopefully there will be a good outcome.

Edited by skybluewaters

15 hours ago, bizinsider said:

@skybluewaters That photo is a rescuer after everybody else was on board. @lincslady, there were no further details. Just saw two people, so the likely thought was the ill person and a spouse/partner/friend. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you for your explanation.

Do you know if the helicopter landed on the Ovation and picked the passengers up or if the passengers were lifted to the helicopter by rope? 

13 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Thank you for your explanation.

Do you know if the helicopter landed on the Ovation and picked the passengers up or if the passengers were lifted to the helicopter by rope? 

There is nowhere for a helicopter to land on Ovation.

It's always an airlift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I once organised a seminar on Aircraft Related Emergencies. One of the lecturers was, in his  own words, a trained "Dope on a Rope". Fascinating information given, especially when comparing Military and Civiliation aircraft and their operational parameters.

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

There is nowhere for a helicopter to land on Ovation.

It's always an airlift.

Thank you for confirming 

we thought there was not enough room on the front of the ship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, whogo said:

Would they risk airlifting a traveling companion from the ship? If I needed airlifting, I would not want my spouse risking her life just to be with me. Would anyone?

Getting someone onto the helicopter isn't risking their life. (Well maybe if it was in the middle of an intense storm… But if the weather is within the helicopter's operating parameters, I don't think it's a life-threatening risk lifting someone onto the helicopter.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

For the curious, the rescue was done by "rope".  The other person was a trained nurse. The patients wife had to disembark in Vancouver. The in-air re-fueling was done by the American Airforce which has the only airplane (I'm told) that can refuel a helipcopter mid-air. (Think about how planes travel versus helipcopters) The refueling had to be done so the helicopter could make it back to shore (SanFrancisco Hospital). The medical emergency was a heart attack. The patient was stabilized but was still critical. The daughter shared her fathers story, apparently a 50th wedding anniversary pre-trip. God bless him and his family for a speedy recovery.

• Like 5