San Diego Hotel recommendations

ilv4cruising

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Any thoughts on Miguel's?

It's been a few years and I don't recall we ever ate there.  I recall drinking a few pints at the Irish pub around the corner.  I recall the Mexican coffee in the hot pot every AM in the office however; it was tasty.  

Hi folks,

I actually have a followup question about staying at the Springhill Suites Downtown.

I see a lot of comments about being able to walk to the pier for our cruise.  Unfortunately my husband has chronic back pain and some nerve impairment in his leg. 

How far a walk is it and is it difficult terrain?

If his back isn't up to it on the day (some days are better than others 🙂 ) will a taxi be possible or will they not bother because of how close it is?

Thanks in advance

14 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

Hi folks,

I actually have a followup question about staying at the Springhill Suites Downtown.

I see a lot of comments about being able to walk to the pier for our cruise.  Unfortunately my husband has chronic back pain and some nerve impairment in his leg. 

How far a walk is it and is it difficult terrain?

If his back isn't up to it on the day (some days are better than others 🙂 ) will a taxi be possible or will they not bother because of how close it is?

Thanks in advance

It is VERY close, basically right across the street from the pier.  Certainly less of a walk than the normal one you have in the airport getting to baggage claim (I have walking issues as well).

Exit the hotel, turn right and you will see a grassy area. Walk through it (there is a sidewalk) and then turn right to access the stoplight.  Cross the street and you will be in front of the ship!

image.thumb.png.87bbe652143891804fcf4a0b2ba29000.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

It is VERY close, basically right across the street from the pier.  Certainly less of a walk than the normal one you have in the airport getting to baggage claim (I have walking issues as well).

Exit the hotel, turn right and you will see a grassy area. Walk through it (there is a sidewalk) and then turn right to access the stoplight.  Cross the street and you will be in front of the ship!

image.thumb.png.87bbe652143891804fcf4a0b2ba29000.png

Wow.  That is close.

Thank you so much for those details.  Very helpful.

All the best for your future travels 🙂

• 2 months later...

Late to the party, but does anyone have any thoughts on Bay Club Hotel & Marina?  It is highly rated on Expedia (9.0), 15 minutes from the cruise port, and pretty reasonable compared to some of the other hotels that have been mentioned.  It almost seems too good to be true, so i'm a little concerned that there might be a catch.

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Late to the party, but does anyone have any thoughts on Bay Club Hotel & Marina?  It is highly rated on Expedia (9.0), 15 minutes from the cruise port, and pretty reasonable compared to some of the other hotels that have been mentioned.  It almost seems too good to be true, so i'm a little concerned that there might be a catch.

The Bay Club is nice, but not a place I'd stay without a car. For one night, pre-cruise it would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have recent experience at the Best Western Plus Bayfront.  We have booked there and the negatives we view are the bagged breakfast option only ( although restaurants nearby and we are only there 2 nights precruise) and the age of the hotel.  I booked the BW several months ago and have a top floor Bay view for a lower, but similar price point as available for a basic room at Springhill Suites.  After reading this thread, I am second guessing.  It appears newer and has breakfast and both are very close to port.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, Sailmore said:

Does anyone have recent experience at the Best Western Plus Bayfront.  We have booked there and the negatives we view are the bagged breakfast option only ( although restaurants nearby and we are only there 2 nights precruise) and the age of the hotel.  I booked the BW several months ago and have a top floor Bay view for a lower, but similar price point as available for a basic room at Springhill Suites.  After reading this thread, I am second guessing.  It appears newer and has breakfast and both are very close to port.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

We’ve stayed at the BW Plus Bayfront a couple of times when we couldn’t get a good price at the Springhill (or it was sold out).  It’s not bad.  I like that it was closer to our favorite restaurant in Little Italy (we walk) and that walking to the port was downhill!

Rooms were fine for a short stay and breakfast was just that—bagged.  It works for us since hubby doesn’t eat breakfast and I usually can’t eat the breakfasts due to dietary issues.  Staff is friendly and helpful.

If you do walk to the port, just be aware that you have to cross railroad tracks.  We travel lightly so it isn’t an issue with our carry-on rollers but hubby had to stop and assist a woman who was having difficulties with a large, heavy suitcase.

I do prefer this hotel compared to the Wyndham.  Our first choice is Springhill.

Thanks so much for your replies regarding the hotel.  I just booked the Springhill Suites and chose a partial bayview room as we had booked a bay view room at the BW.   It helps with getting a senior's rate, but as it turns out, we are there Thanksgiving weekend, so likely a bit higher rates in general.  It will be $150 more than the BW over the 2 nights, but given that it includes breakfast, which we do prefer, that gap is narrowed.  

We have stayed a couple of times at the Urban Hotel in Little Italy, but my husband said he would like a newer hotel and this is so very close to the port.  We are walkers, so that is great.  It will be easier to walk the extra distance to Little Italy than it would be to walk to the port with luggage from further away.

Speaking of Little Italy, can I ask what your favourite restaurant is?  

Thanks again for suggestions.

Little Italy is the best neighborhood in San Diego for dining.

https://www.littleitalysd.com/dine/restaurants

For Italian I like Bencotto, Davanti Enoteca and Civico 1845. For "American" I like Born & Raised, Herb & Wood and Ketner Exchange.

For fast casual, Crack Shack (fried chicken from Richard Blaise) and Burger Lounge.

For bars, Princess Pub and The Waterfront,SDs oldest bar.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sailmore said:

Speaking of Little Italy, can I ask what your favourite restaurant is?  

Thanks again for suggestions.

Our favorite restaurant is Bencotto’s.  

Glad you got the hotel figured out.  We prefer staying the Springhill—especially since we like to arrive in San Diego via Amtrak.  

We’re cruising out of San Diego during Thanksgiving week as well (Nov 19 on the Koningsdam) but will be coming down that morning from Orange County after staying with family.

4 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Glad you got the hotel figured out.  We prefer staying the Springhill—especially since we like to arrive in San Diego via Amtrak.  

We’re cruising out of San Diego during Thanksgiving week as well (Nov 19 on the Koningsdam) but will be coming down that morning from Orange County after staying with family.

19 hours ago, scottca075 said:

For Italian I like Bencotto, Davanti Enoteca and Civico 1845. For "American" I like Born & Raised, Herb & Wood and Ketner Exchange.

For fast casual, Crack Shack (fried chicken from Richard Blaise) and Burger Lounge.

Wow!  Quite a list, my research is cut out for me.  As we arrive late afternoon on  Thanksgiving Day November 23 and only have one other night before boarding, we definitely going to have to narrow down our choices.  Thanks for the suggestions.

4 hours ago, disneyochem said:

We are on November 25th Koningsdam.  
2 votes for Bencottos and menu looks good.  Definitely a possibility 👍

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, DMRick said:

Bay Club Hotel & Marina 
is this a nice hotel and place to stay in San Diego?

thank you. 

Nice place, but not where I'd stay one night before a cruise, or without a car.

If prices for a place look too good to be true, there is usually a reason.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Nice place, but not where I'd stay one night before a cruise, or without a car.

If prices for a place look too good to be true, there is usually a reason.

We’re coming in two nights early and staying a night after the cruise. Hope to go to Sea world. We’re used to ubering. So the actual hotel is nice?

Edited by DMRick

On 10/10/2023 at 5:23 PM, scottca075 said:

Do you have any dining recommendations for the Gaslamp area?  We are staying at The US Grant and anything recommendations in the area would be most appreciated.

8 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Do you have any dining recommendations for the Gaslamp area?  We are staying at The US Grant and anything recommendations in the area would be most appreciated.

To start, the Grant Grill is great. Close by are Dobson's, Salvatore's Cucina, Athens Taverna. Rei do Gado Brazilian churrascaria, Gyu-Kaku Japanese Steakhouse and there is an outpost of Tacos el Gordo in the Gaslamp Quarter too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DMRick said:

We’re coming in two nights early and staying a night after the cruise. Hope to go to Sea world. We’re used to ubering. So the actual hotel is nice?

Yes, the hotel is "nice". It is a solid 3* hotel, about the same level as a Best Western Plus hotel (which happens to be next door, the Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel). There are a few places to eat in walking distance, but very limited. An area like Liberty Station would offer a lot more choices.

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

To start, the Grant Grill is great. Close by are Dobson's, Salvatore's Cucina, Athens Taverna. Rei do Gado Brazilian churrascaria, Gyu-Kaku Japanese Steakhouse and there is an outpost of Tacos el Gordo in the Gaslamp Quarter too.

Many thanks.  We have definitely added the Crack Shack in Little Italy to our list.  We will also be visiting the Grant Grill.  Now it's time to explore all the other wonderful recommendations. 😃

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 1:13 AM, scottca075 said:

Yes, the hotel is "nice". It is a solid 3* hotel, about the same level as a Best Western Plus hotel (which happens to be next door, the Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel). There are a few places to eat in walking distance, but very limited. An area like Liberty Station would offer a lot more choices.

How far is that from the ship? Husband wants to visit the Midway Museum. Is it near Sea World? Im not at all familiar with San Diego. I assume Liberty is a section?

On 10/29/2023 at 1:13 AM, scottca075 said:

So, we booked the Bay Club and Marina for three nights for $418, fully refundable until the 9th of January. It had a 9/10, and looks like pretty close to uber to the places we want to go to. 

• Like 1