Is free continental breakfast from room service truly back?

alwalaska

The breakfast is free. The service isn't. No one is arguing that. This is simply an debate over semantics, concerning the use of the word "free", and whether it applies or not. Quite frankly, the fly that keeps buzzing in front of my screen is more important that that. And how many posts have been wasted arguing over that insignificant crap? I think my cats will take care of the fly long before you guys drop this obsession, and that's just sad. Just agree to disagree, guys. Geez!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2023 at 5:45 PM, vacation44 said:

I think my point was missed by many.  I was pointing out that it was not "free" as a few others were noting that it is still free with a service charge then added.   To me, that is not free.  

It's just like the people that claim dinner in the main dining room is free or the water slide is free or whatever else is free. Nothing is free. It's not complimentary. Corporate speak wants us to believe it's free, but it isn't. It seems people forget they spent a few grand to jump onboard the ship. That money you paid? That's what makes those "free" items on the ship, included in the charge. 

If you want breakfast delivered to your room, the cost of breakfast is not free. The breakfast food may be included in the charge of your cruise fare, but the delivery of your breakfast is charged a delivery fee, therefore you cannot say breakfast in your stateroom is free. Or included. If it's delivered. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you want breakfast delivered to your room, the cost of breakfast is not free. The breakfast food may be included in the charge of your cruise fare, but the delivery of your breakfast is charged a delivery fee, therefore you cannot say breakfast in your stateroom is free. Or included. If it's delivered. 

Thank you, that is all I am trying to point out.

• Thanks 1

I keep coming back to this thread.  Not because I care.  I like to go out to the buffet or dining room for breakfast.  But I still don't understand the confusion.  The OP was clear in that the FAQ says there is no charge (and no service fee) for Continental breakfast.  So it doesn't matter if we are talking about charge for the food or the $4.95 fee.  If it's "continental breakfast" it should not incur the charge.  Then looking the menu, there isn't really an option or clear delineation on what would be continental breakfast.  I think we all have a basic understanding of what is considered continental breakfast, but there aren't really specific rules.  So who's to know what item you may choose that then incurs the fee.  Maybe I'm missing something in the thread.

i don’t have time to go back and read it all, but, yes, i believe you’re missing something in the thread. and that is that, sometime ago (last december, I think), NCL started charging for continental breakfast room service delivery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crikey, lord have mercy, whatever other exclamation you may have. Also...since you keep posting, you obviously do care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep posting. 

Since our words apparently aren't comprehendible, let's give Cruise Hive a shot. Read this. Maybe you'll get it:

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-introducing-new-fee-guests-will-not-like/89662

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Crikey, lord have mercy, whatever other exclamation you may have. Also...since you keep posting, you obviously do care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep posting. 

Since our words apparently aren't comprehendible, let's give Cruise Hive a shot. Read this. Maybe you'll get it:

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-introducing-new-fee-guests-will-not-like/89662

If you are referring to my post, where I said I don't care, that is my first post in this thread.  So I'm not sure what you mean that I keep posting.  Maybe got me confused with another.

Edited by frayedend

14 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i don’t have time to go back and read it all, but, yes, i believe you’re missing something in the thread. and that is that, sometime ago (last december, I think), NCL started charging for continental breakfast room service delivery.

Then the simple answer to this thread is that the NCL FAQ is incorrect and hasn't been updated properly.  If someone had stated that it would have (should have) been a simple answer.  But I didn't see that in the posts.

ETA:  A quick re-read and Mistizoom did indeed state the website is wrong, on page 2.

Edited by frayedend

the thread is really about so much more than “the FAQ is incorrect.”

i view it as an allegory, a treatise on man’s inhumanity to man and a delicate, yet simultaneously firm and insistent, plea for tolerance and understanding amidst a sea of mediocrity and price consciousness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the thread is really about so much more than “the FAQ is incorrect.”

i view it as an allegory, a treatise on man’s inhumanity to man and a delicate, yet simultaneously firm and insistent, plea for tolerance and understanding amidst a sea of mediocrity and price consciousness. 

True, but what if I just order coffee?  🤣

• Like 1

A service or delivery charge is so standard in society, that I fail to understand the controversy. 😄 When I order a pizza and ask for it to be delivered, they charge me extra.  Why? Because it takes manpower to get that food to me. The idea of free food delivery is nice, but it also puts a strain on the staff.  If you say 'you can get a continental breakfast to your room for free', many people might take advantage of that.  That's going to require extra work and extra personnel.  If you tack a nominal fee on it, then people will rethink how lazy they are feeling that morning and more likely get up and head to a restaurant.  However, it's nice to have that $5 option to just order in a few breakfasts every once in a while.  If I wanted a coffee and roll for breakfast every morning, I'd probably just bring my own coffee and rolls and make it myself.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by quagmire0
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, quagmire0 said:

A service or delivery charge is so standard in society, that I fail to understand the controversy. 😄   🤷‍♂️

I think it's all because the FAQ on the NCL site still says there is no fee for Continental breakfast.  I'm sure it's an easy miss when a policy changes.  It shouldn't be a big controversy.  The short answer to this thread was, "Oh it looks like when they updated the policy they forgot the FAQ, but indeed there is a fee for any breakfast delivery, continental or not."  But it wouldn't be any fun if there weren't a myriad of answers and people getting angry about it.

On 6/20/2023 at 5:10 PM, BirdTravels said:

I am not sure what you are reading. Room service food has always been complimentary. BUT there is a service charge of UP TO $9.95 (smaller $4.95 charge for breakfast). There was a charge for all deliveries on our May cruise. 

IMG_5527.thumb.jpeg.b10ebd091034161793416217f6f5526c.jpeg

Thanks for the post of the menu!!  It's so nice when people like you take the time to help with these things.  

Edited by SRQMom

ROOM SERVICE:  We just sailed last May, and I always ordered continental breakfast....No Charge.  coffee, fruit, pastries.  Hot breakfast had a charge to your room, and throught out the day, what ever you ordered from room service menu, you are charged.

2 minutes ago, scorpioncrawl said:

ROOM SERVICE:  We just sailed last May, and I always ordered continental breakfast....No Charge.  coffee, fruit, pastries.  Hot breakfast had a charge to your room, and throught out the day, what ever you ordered from room service menu, you are charged.

There is now a charge for continental breakfast...well not for breakfast, but for delivery. See the photo @BirdTravels posted. 

Just off the Bliss, we usually ordered double or triple stuff to make up for the fee.  Felt sorry for the delivery person through, so they got an extra tip.  Unloading 6-7 covered plates plus drinks was a lot.  😆

• Haha 1

I justify this by purchasing (in my head) a "continental-breakfast- delivered-right-to-the-stateroom package all week for only $35!"

A room that's $35 extra and includes breakfast all week seems like a steal.

On 6/21/2023 at 1:51 PM, vacation44 said:

If I order those delicious chocolate croissants and a pot of coffee in the morning and then charged $5.94, I do not consider it free.   Free is free where the end result is no charge.   I do not care what the $5.94 entails or what they call it, it is no longer free.   Just my opinion.  Will add that we always do tip room delivery of food--no matter if we are in a Haven cabin, a non-Haven suite or a club balcony suite.  

Especially since not too longer ago....no matter what you ordered from Room Service there was NO CHARGE at all...however, the menu was nothing to write home about then. 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No charge if you are in the Haven, if you read the OP’s post. 

I read the post and the FAQ also says no charge for continental breakfast delivery. Nevertheless I just returned from the Pearl and there was indeed a separate menu for continental breakfast.  However it noted there is a delivery fee.  So again the FAQ is wrong. 

1 hour ago, frayedend said:

... FAQ is wrong. 

Ding Ding Ding 😟 🙄 😤  That's the executive summary with NCL's word "games" and they are notorious for not updating and revising their FAQ, etc.  Maybe, just maybe, they will do another flip-flop and reverse it, with and/or without notices.