Is free continental breakfast from room service truly back?

alwalaska

I was on another forum today and people were asking about free dining locations and continental breakfast from room service was included.  On our Dawn cruise in Feb I could have sworn there was a charge for it.

Today, after someone posted a click from NCL, I went and looked it up in the FAQ and I copied the info below. I'm guessing they walked it back.  Does anyone have recent experience with this?

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items.

*Prices subject to change.

12 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

I was on another forum today and people were asking about free dining locations and continental breakfast from room service was included.  On our Dawn cruise in Feb I could have sworn there was a charge for it.

Today, after someone posted a click from NCL, I went and looked it up in the FAQ and I copied the info below. I'm guessing they walked it back.  Does anyone have recent experience with this?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items.

I am not sure what you are reading. Room service food has always been complimentary. BUT there is a service charge of UP TO $9.95 (smaller $4.95 charge for breakfast). There was a charge for all deliveries on our May cruise. 

IMG_5527.thumb.jpeg.b10ebd091034161793416217f6f5526c.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

28 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I am not sure what you are reading. Room service food has always been complimentary. BUT there is a service charge of UP TO $9.95 (smaller $4.95 charge for breakfast). There was a charge for all deliveries on our May cruise. 

Here is the link of the FAQ page that I copied that from: Frequently Asked Questions (ncl.com).   

I had to read it 3 times because we had to pay in Feb as well.  Now, this is me being a computer person reading the AND between continental breakfast and the info about suites as making it both things do not have a service charge. 

It really doesn't surprise me though that NCL has something that is either unclear or out and out wrong on its website.

Pretty sure the "up to" means the $4.95 for breakfast is still in effect.  Especially since that is followed by the statement that guests in the Haven don't have to pay.

Only used it once in February and was charged.

16 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Is there no one at NCL who can write succinct, clear and unambiguous English?  Obviously not.

When I worked at an international hospitality company, we had a weekly BLS committee (business, legal, standards)…and NOTHING could be published anywhere without being reviewed by the committee.  The committee basically rewrote most of the copy as the original authors were clueless about grammar, punctuation, trademark usage and legal obligations.  Took a lot of time but reduced customer confusion and potential litigation.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alwalaska said:

Here is the link of the FAQ page that I copied that from: Frequently Asked Questions (ncl.com).   

I had to read it 3 times because we had to pay in Feb as well.  Now, this is me being a computer person reading the AND between continental breakfast and the info about suites as making it both things do not have a service charge. 

It really doesn't surprise me though that NCL has something that is either unclear or out and out wrong on its website.

The weird thing is that there is no room service charge for anything in the Haven. Yes, if you order a specialty dining a la carte item, you need to pay the price of that item. But you can order your steak and eggs with fresh squeezed OJ and Starbucks cappuccino for free if you are in a suite. 

41 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The weird thing is that there is no room service charge for anything in the Haven. Yes, if you order a specialty dining a la carte item, you need to pay the price of that item. But you can order your steak and eggs with fresh squeezed OJ and Starbucks cappuccino for free if you are in a suite. 

That is part of the reason why I read that the continental breakfast didn't have a service fee for anyone, but I did decide to check with the people on the Chat at NCL and they confirm what you said and what I believed before I read the FAQ.  My husband laughs because when I'm talking to hotel employees I frequently know more about the rewards program than the employees do.

Thanks for sharing your breakfast paper. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Is there no one at NCL who can write succinct, clear and unambiguous English?  Obviously not.

They can't read either.... I've sent in a number of post-cruise comments, some good, some not so good.  And the responses are nearly always totally off subject.  For example if you suggest they offer non-alcoholic latitudes benefits - or something other than strawberries for people who are allergic - the response will be something along the lines of how to put in a special needs request.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

They can't read either.... I've sent in a number of post-cruise comments, some good, some not so good.  And the responses are nearly always totally off subject.  For example if you suggest they offer non-alcoholic latitudes benefits - or something other than strawberries for people who are allergic - the response will be something along the lines of how to put in a special needs request.

A good sign that a bot or AI is answering your comments. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

One of the reasons why we stay in the Haven! We love on early port mornings waking up to A full breakfast on the dining room table. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There was an additional charge for just coffee and croissants? Yipes, that's different from every cruise I've sailed on any cruise line!

I hope I am misunderstanding the LINK.  That link talks about "complimentary" but it is unclear to me to what that might refer. Individual items; what is that?

We are in a C3 cabin and normally have just coffee and croissants on the balcony. We tip generously because we want those two items delivered at the earlier time available, and have never been disappointed. But If NCL starts charging for that <$4.95 + 20%?>, we might as well downgrade to an OV cabin again!😒

Doug

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

On 4/22/2023 at 7:41 AM, PATRLR said:

If this is true, that sucks.  

I know that when we come back from port we always like to get a bit to eat on the ship (we eat dinner late).  That's going to really be a bummer if the only options are limited and inside (I'm not familiar with surfside grille).

On 4/22/2023 at 11:05 AM, PATRLR said:

Yeah but it's inside.  We like to grab our breakfasts and lunches and snacks and eat outside.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:18 AM, sebas030 said:

For me it is the vodka I am not happy with. I am a martini guy, they took out completely Belvedere and moved Grey Goose to + .... now what I am going to get in my martini ? 

If I want a Grey Goose martini do I have to pay a couple of $ as an upcharge or would they charge the total price of the drink to my account ?

16 hours ago, alwalaska said:

So as I read it, morning coffee and continental  breakfast even if you're  not in haven are free. If you order hot foods then it's a charge. Am I reading this wrong. Has anyone ordered just coffee and gotten a 4.95 charge?

13 minutes ago, UKstages said:

post #2 includes a copy of the breakfast hang tag/menu. it clearly states that a $4.95 room service fee will apply.

UKStages posted: "the coffee and croissants are free.

there is a $4.95 service fee. there didn’t use to be (for breakfast), but now there is.""

MitchTech posted: "So as I read it, morning coffee and continental  breakfast even if you're  not in haven are free. If you order hot foods then it's a charge. Am I reading this wrong. Has anyone ordered just coffee and gotten a 4.95 charge? "

And you said that "$4.95 plus tip applies to everything". At least that's how I interpreted it. I am not trying to be testy, just trying to understand how things may have changed. The last time we sailed on NCL (March 2022) in a Club Balcony cabin we had coffee and croissants gratis, but I recall there was some sort of a charge for what most would consider a breakfast.

So bottom line is nobody knows yet?

This would be so much less confusing if someone with a logical mind wrote what's at the link. Or, did NCL do that on purpose? That would seem odd but not unknown in the cruise line....or any other industry.....😜

Doug

14 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

no, pretty much everybody knows. there is a $4.95 for room service at breakfast, regardless of what you order. march 2022 may as well have been in the palezoic era… that was a very long time ago. not sure when they instituted the breakfast fee, it was probably after 3/22. but it’s absolutely true that you used to be able to get continental breakfast without a service fee. and now you can’t.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

UKStages posted: "the coffee and croissants are free.

there is a $4.95 service fee. there didn’t use to be (for breakfast), but now there is.""

MitchTech posted: "So as I read it, morning coffee and continental  breakfast even if you're  not in haven are free. If you order hot foods then it's a charge. Am I reading this wrong. Has anyone ordered just coffee and gotten a 4.95 charge? "

And you said that "$4.95 plus tip applies to everything". At least that's how I interpreted it. I am not trying to be testy, just trying to understand how things may have changed. The last time we sailed on NCL (March 2022) in a Club Balcony cabin we had coffee and croissants gratis, but I recall there was some sort of a charge for what most would consider a breakfast.

This would be so much less confusing if someone with a logical mind wrote what's at the link. Or, did NCL do that on purpose? That would seem odd but not unknown in the cruise line....or any other industry.....😜

Doug

I decided to chat with NCL, but we know that isn't necessarily any different from asking someone on here.  They said the $4.95 does apply to the continental breakfast like BirdTravels posted the picture on the tag. When I mentioned the FAQ and provided the link, they said they would turn that into the correct department.

I also noticed on that same FAQ page information about booking a trip in 2016 and taking it in 2017, so it doesn't look like anyone is in charge of maintaining that page.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

I decided to chat with NCL, but we know that isn't necessarily any different from asking someone on here. 

In my experience, the NCL reps are often far less reliable than asking in CC.

• Haha 2

I've learned to use both.

By the way, I've never had a PCC assigned. I'd love to have the last lady that booked me, but I never got her name or extension number. She was very knowledgeable, and had cruised many times.

Edited by omahabob

Onboard NCL recently (April 2023) - based on the newest accounting rules for posting charges - 

morning continental breakfast is free (that included the "free" hot items like eggs & choice of sides") and of course, coffee & juice, etc.   It WAS (is) subject to a $4.95 delivery charge or fee, plus 20% - hence, it showed up as a Room Service amount of $5.94.  

If other items from the Room Service Menu is ordered during the day/evening/late night, etc. - the delivery charge is $9.95 plus 20% (disclosed in the "fine prints" at the bottom of that slip - fonts, 2 points sized ... really impossible to read)   All these are true, whether you are ordering just a pot of coffee or a big order to feed 3 or 4 in your cabin, maybe for 5 or even 6 ... NCL doesn't really care on the quantity.  

The itemized detailed/final invoice will have a line-item entry that looked like this ... 

04/29      2445               Room Service            5.94

For a one-time charge of $5.94 ... we surely got our money's worth and it was offset by non-refundable OBC credit, which are becoming more difficult to use or spent.  Of course, some of us always add or do a cash tip to the crew member actually bringing or delivery those items - ours were rolled out of the service elevator/crew only corridor in a service cart. 

Carry on the debate about whether it's free or not ... shall I about popcorns & chips 🙄 😁 😉

PXL_20230429_072749343[1].jpg

PXL_20230429_072733642[1].jpg

22 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Maybe a bit uncalled for, particularly if done habitually, but I I'd usually classify remarks like that as sarcastic hyperbole rather than as a direct insult. Still, you have a good point.

Thank you. If someone is of the opinion that the PVPs don't know anything, then fine. But to repeatedly use those terms like sub minimum wage is offensive to those who earn their living doing this. Further, disclosing their salary is irrelevant to the discussion. Many PVP are well educated and provide a service to cruise passengers. They just had to pull a post a week ago were the same poster referred to a 26 year old Royal Caribbean figure skater as washed up and said she didn't have a real job and was working for peanuts. There are countless other examples. No place for personal attacks on this message board or any message board. Personal attacks cross the line. And it needs to be stopped by the people that run these forums. In case you can't tell, I feel very strongly about this and oppose hate speech.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 7

49 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Carry on the debate about whether it's free or not ... shall I about popcorns & chips 🙄 😁 😉

PXL_20230429_072749343[1].jpg

PXL_20230429_072733642[1].jpg

If I order those delicious chocolate croissants and a pot of coffee in the morning and then charged $5.94, I do not consider it free.   Free is free where the end result is no charge.   I do not care what the $5.94 entails or what they call it, it is no longer free.   Just my opinion.  Will add that we always do tip room delivery of food--no matter if we are in a Haven cabin, a non-Haven suite or a club balcony suite.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

If I order those delicious chocolate croissants and a pot of coffee in the morning and then charged $5.94, I do not consider it free.   Free is free where the end result is no charge.   I do not care what the $5.94 entails or what they call it, it is no longer free.   Just my opinion.  Will add that we always do tip room delivery of food--no matter if we are in a Haven cabin, a non-Haven suite or a club balcony suite.  

Understand, you can still go up to the buffet and get it yourself for free.  If you want it delivered, there is the cost of having someone bring it to you.

That is how I look at it.

However, I am a sucker and lazy so I purchased the WAY overpriced Priority Access so 1.  I can avoid the long check-in line (if there is one) and 2.  Get morning stuff delivered for free AND 3.  Get a small discount on whatever spa thing my wife wants to do.   The other stuff is just fluff.

• Like 2