Overnight Port-Includes excursions

Clay Clayton

On our upcoming cruise, we have two entire days in Longyearbyen. When the excursions first appeared on MVJ we signed up for the included walking tour for the second day and scheduled an independent one for the first day.   

Earlier today, someone on our roll call noticed that another included excursion had been added.  Since this one involves wild life and a boat we figured we could do the walking one ourselves, so we signed up for it.  Since the times overlapped, I had to first cancel the walking tour. Since I know from previous trips that Viking offers one included excursion per port, I didn’t think about trying to book the initial walking tour on day 1. But, someone on another iteration of this itinerary just posted they had switched and now they’re booked on both included tours.   I checked and MVJ will allow me to do so, but I am afeared! I don’t want to get canceled out of the boat trip.  

Has anyone ever had Viking provide 2 included excursions in one port and been able to take both?

Edited by Clay Clayton

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

On our upcoming cruise, we have two entire days in Longyearbyen. When the excursions first appeared on MVJ we signed up for the included walking tour for the second day and scheduled an independent one for the first day.   

Earlier today, someone on our roll call noticed that another included excursion had been added.  Since this one involves wild life and a boat we figured we could do the walking one ourselves, so we signed up for it.  Since the times overlapped, I had to first cancel the walking tour. Since I know from previous trips that Viking offers one included excursion per port, I didn’t think about trying to book the initial walking tour on day 1. But, someone on another iteration of this itinerary just posted they had switched and now they’re booked on both included tours.   I checked and MVJ will allow me to do so, but I am afeared! I don’t want to get canceled out of the boat trip.  

Has anyone ever had Viking provide 2 included excursions in one port and been able to take both?

@Clay Clayton thanks for asking this question.  I am booked on the 02 August departure of your cruise and have booked the wildlife boat tour on Day 1 and the included walking tour and museum on day 2 in Longyearbyen and was wondering if we can do both . Hopefully someone will have been in this same situation and can offer so insight. 

There were a few ports where Viking had 2 different included excursions.  

We did the ATV excursion, and it really wasn’t very good.  Drove down a road a bit and drove back.  The ATV excursion we did in Isafjordur was much better.  Our second trip there, we hired the same guy for a private tour for twice as long, which turned out less $$ for more time.

6 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

There were a few ports where Viking had 2 different included excursions.  

We did the ATV excursion, and it really wasn’t very good.  Drove down a road a bit and drove back.  The ATV excursion we did in Isafjordur was much better.  Our second trip there, we hired the same guy for a private tour for twice as long, which turned out less $$ for more time.

Thanks but the question being asked is whether anyone has ever been able to do both included excursions in a single port.

7 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks but the question being asked is whether anyone has ever been able to do both included excursions in a single port.

The short answer is yes, you can.

We went to this port in May, also with an overnight.

Initially, I was locked out from tours on day 1.  Then they opened some afternoon tours.  I was able to book it.  A few days later they opened the other included tour.  Sounded better, so I booked it for day 2.

Did not cancel the day 1 tour.

When we got on the ship, we were eventually notified that the "boat" tour had issues and was changed to the first included tour.

Needless to say, one included tour of this town was enough.

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I was told at the explorers desk it was one or the other.  I believe one excursion was set up because of those who could not hike.  
We tried to book 2 different included excursions, it bounced back on the tv.  That’s why I asked.

14 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

I was told at the explorers desk it was one or the other.  I believe one excursion was set up because of those who could not hike.  
We tried to book 2 different included excursions, it bounced back on the tv.  That’s why I asked.

Ours did not bounce back. It allowed me to book one each day

16 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

The other included excursion is a bus not a hike in Longyearbyen

Was reworking an excursion and needed to  use the chat feature so while I had the rep I asked.  Below is a screenshot of the response. Given the “for added reassurance” and the fact that a friend cruising with us got a response when he was “chatting” that one could only have one excursion per port, we’ve decided to not tempt fate and will just prebook the one.  

IMG_6719.png

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Was reworking an excursion and needed to  use the chat feature so while I had the rep I asked.  Below is a screenshot of the response. Given the “for added reassurance” and the fact that a friend cruising with us got a response when he was “chatting” that one could only have one excursion per port, we’ve decided to not tempt fate and will just prebook the one.  

IMG_6719.png

It won’t let me cancel, should I take it as a sign🤔

will deal with it on board 

34 minutes ago, purpleally said:

It won’t let me cancel, should I take it as a sign🤔

will deal with it on board 

Who knows!  I would make a screenshot so you have some proof in case you need it onboard. 

I was on the first cruise to Longyearbyen, June 1 & 2 and did both included excursions.  The second included boat trip opened up while on board May 31.  We were able to sign up for the boat trip for Day 2 and did the other included excursion on Day 1.

FYI - if you go on the boat trip bring binoculars.  I brought my own set and it was the only way to actually see the wildlife. A woman standing next to me didn't have binoculars.  She would ask Where are the Reindeer?  It's the white dots over there.  Where is the arctic fox?  See the snow by the cliff, it is walking in front of it now.  Even at the bird cliff, the birds were little black dots without binoculars. Saw one walrus, one arctic fox, many reindeer, many birds, a few puffins.

Also, did the excursion at 6:30am, dock area right next to Viking ship; one hour in they served "BBQ" food.  I didn't eat, 7:30am too early for BBQ.  Viking opened the World Cafe early that day for breakfast.

On Day 1, we did an independent boat tour with Hurtigruten "Captain's Favorites".  It wasn't free but way better.  On a Catamaran, with quiet electric as we got close to glaciers, wildlife.  Got right up to the ice field in front of glacier. Great commentary during entire trip. Provided binoculars.  They really tried to find a polar bear, but didn't.  Did see walrus, seals, Beluga whale, reindeer, etc.

Also Day 2, we did an independent dogsled with Svalbard Villmarkssenter.  half the cost of Viking optional excursion and more authentic.  We actually got to harness and unharness the teams to the sleds.  Great guide. We could tell they really loved their dogs.  And located just near the Polar Bear sign; before dropping us back at the ship, they took us to the sign for pictures. Pick up and drop off included. Musher for half day tour.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JulieEscapes said:

I was on the first cruise to Longyearbyen, June 1 & 2 and did both included excursions.  The second included boat trip opened up while on board May 31.  We were able to sign up for the boat trip for Day 2 and did the other included excursion on Day 1.

FYI - if you go on the boat trip bring binoculars.  I brought my own set and it was the only way to actually see the wildlife. A woman standing next to me didn't have binoculars.  She would ask Where are the Reindeer?  It's the white dots over there.  Where is the arctic fox?  See the snow by the cliff, it is walking in front of it now.  Even at the bird cliff, the birds were little black dots without binoculars. Saw one walrus, one arctic fox, many reindeer, many birds, a few puffins.

Also, did the excursion at 6:30am, dock area right next to Viking ship; one hour in they served "BBQ" food.  I didn't eat, 7:30am too early for BBQ.  Viking opened the World Cafe early that day for breakfast.

On Day 1, we did an independent boat tour with Hurtigruten "Captain's Favorites".  It wasn't free but way better.  On a Catamaran, with quiet electric as we got close to glaciers, wildlife.  Got right up to the ice field in front of glacier. Great commentary during entire trip. Provided binoculars.  They really tried to find a polar bear, but didn't.  Did see walrus, seals, Beluga whale, reindeer, etc.

Also Day 2, we did an independent dogsled with Svalbard Villmarkssenter.  half the cost of Viking optional excursion and more authentic.  We actually got to harness and unharness the teams to the sleds.  Great guide. We could tell they really loved their dogs.  And located just near the Polar Bear sign; before dropping us back at the ship, they took us to the sign for pictures. Pick up and drop off included. Musher for half day tour.

Thanks for the advice! We’re booked on the Hurtigruten “Captains Favorite” cruise on July 14, when we arrive in Longyearben. It sounds like a great trip from your description. 

24 minutes ago, JulieEscapes said:

Thanks for the information, we are on this same cruise August 21.  Was wondering if you could tell us which ports in Norway had Shuttles to center of town?

It was!  I want to go back to Longyearbyen - I'll do the Captains Favorite's again!

Also, when we booked we selected a 'pick up" location, but the Catamaran is docked is right near the Viking ship. You'll see smaller boats on the left after exiting the Viking ship.  Short walk.

shuttles:

Narvik - drop off/pick up Town Hall

Lofoton - drop off/pick up Circle K (on Daily but we missed this port due to weather),

Longyearbyen - drop off/pick up Parking lot outside shop "Svalbardbutikken"

all other ports within walking distance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JulieEscapes said:

It was!  I want to go back to Longyearbyen - I'll do the Captains Favorite's again!

Also, when we booked we selected a 'pick up" location, but the Catamaran is docked is right near the Viking ship. You'll see smaller boats on the left after exiting the Viking ship.  Short walk.

shuttles:

Narvik - drop off/pick up Town Hall

Lofoton - drop off/pick up Circle K (on Daily but we missed this port due to weather),

Longyearbyen - drop off/pick up Parking lot outside shop "Svalbardbutikken"

all other ports within walking distance

Thanks for all your great information!

So the 6:30 am excursion in Longyearbyen was the included panoramic one that takes you to the museum?  Do you think it’s worth doing or could we do it on our own and not have to be up quite so early?

Any other hints or thoughts about this itinerary?

Edited by Clay Clayton

The 6:30am excursion was the included Wildlife Boat Ride. The included Panoramic excursion, morning 8:30am, had some minor value - bus to outer areas of town beyond the city limits (can't go outside city without a gun for polar bear safety), viewed the Seed Vault, Mines, vast tundra.  The museum was ok for general information on the town/mining/wildlife.  Tour ends here. We didn't go back to ship, instead we took short walk to the "downtown" area and did some shopping (maybe a dozen stores: outdoor, gifts, grocery store).  Then took shuttle back to ship.

on our dogsled trip we did go outside the city and our guide had a high powered rifle on her back and two pistols for polar bear protections - we did not see a polar bear.

You can take the shuttle bus to town, but really can't go outside the city without transportation.  The bus portion was just "viewing" things, no stops. But did give nice overall picture of the area.

Other random thoughts:

We couldn't have asked for better weather, Sunny both days in Longyearbyen. The day we left the sea was like glass!  After departing the port, Viking cruised over to the glaciers - everyone was out on the bow taking their "holiday photos".

Along the coast of Norway, weather was mostly rainy.  High winds day of Lofoton, so couldn't dock. However we had extra time so Captain took us to Andenes for evening cruise to look for whales.  We saw multiple pods.

We only had two very rocky nights at sea, Bergen to Alesund (port replaced early on) and night before Isafjord. Otherwise not too bad. We came prepared with all sorts of pills, bands, ginger, etc. But didn't use a single thing. I did downloaded the windy app (used free) and kept an eye on the wind conditions.  Orange/Red bad; yellow/green ok, blue - excellent (we had blue in Longyearbyen).

At Nordkapp, don't rush to the Globe for pictures. when bus arrives everyone rushes to the Globe to take pictures,  Which I did also, But towards the end of our time there I looked out and there was not a single person at the Globe - should have waited and got pictures without the crowd.

Tromso - if you are shopping, stop by The Northern lights Gift Shop - they have a free 14 minute film on Northern light - it was better than expected.

Alesund - this was early replacement for Geiranger - we did the steps up to the Aksla viewpoint.  We dropped off at end of included walking tour.  The 418 steps are not that bad.  There are benches and viewing platforms along the steps.  Lots of points to take great pics and rest.

Narvik - did War Museum with guide.  Then walked around town, not much to see. The chairlift was closed while we were there.

On two days in North Sea - some people saw multiple pods of whales.

Bergen - skipped the included tour and did Bergen Segway tour.  It was wonderful.  My mother (82) and I had never been on Segway - we both loved it!  Even though it was raining the entire time.  They provide training in their warehouse (on docks right near ship).  Then off we went.  We stopped along the way and the guide gave info. We went to the other side of the harbor, then up to the top overlook, then back down and around the city.  We leave for Empires of Med in two weeks and we are doing Segway in Athens!  Note: I have been to Bergen before and already did funicular and cable car.

I think Norway is absolutely stunting!  Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1