Enough time in Cozumel for resort day pass and a snorkeling excursion?

vaindioux

Well, theoretically, there's enough time.  But you need to lay out the details of each activity, include the transportation and assurance that you'll be back on board in time.  The only way to do that is to deal with the specifics of each activity that you choose.  Then pad that schedule a little to cover any glitches.

• Like 1

Never been to the Allegro, but usually alot of the other day pass resorts run snorkel excursions directly from that location by boat. (for me from Nachi Cocum  like 15 ,minute ride out to a reef area, then back after snorkeling for a bit)

Was super easy for me to leave for a couple hours in the middle of the day and let DW stay and relax on her lounger by the ocean while I was awy swimming with Groupers, etc.

By that mode/ your timeline will work perfectly easily.

If you have to meet your excursion at some other location you'll have to add in any additional driving time into your day getting from the Allegro to your excursion and back to the ship, versus just the trip from your pier to the Allegro and back.

Not sure where the Allegro sits on the island, but depending on its locatiuon to your pier or excursion's location, it might eat up a bit of your day.

(For us, just the ride to Nachi Cocum, from the Carnival pier [the closest] takes 20 minutes each way. When we've docked in town during comnstruction it was over 30-40 minutes each way to Nachi Cocum.)

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, vaindioux said:

Hi

Our ship will be in Cozumel during our cruise from 7 to 5pm.

Is there time to go do a snorkeling excursion and then go to a day pass resort? (Allegro resort)

Thxs

Pat and Kris

I would do the snorkeling trip then go to El Cid right in town or over to Buccanos.  MUCH cheaper.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bguppies said:

Never been to the Allegro, but usually alot of the other day pass resorts run snorkel excursions directly from that location by boat. (for me from Nachi Cocum  like 15 ,minute ride out to a reef area, then back after snorkeling for a bit)

Was super easy for me to leave for a couple hours in the middle of the day and let DW stay and relax on her lounger by the ocean while I was awy swimming with Groupers, etc.

By that mode/ your timeline will work perfectly easily.

If you have to meet your excursion at some other location you'll have to add in any additional driving time into your day getting from the Allegro to your excursion and back to the ship, versus just the trip from your pier to the Allegro and back.

Not sure where the Allegro sits on the island, but depending on its locatiuon to your pier or excursion's location, it might eat up a bit of your day.

(For us, just the ride to Nachi Cocum, from the Carnival pier [the closest] takes 20 minutes each way. When we've docked in town during comnstruction it was over 30-40 minutes each way to Nachi Cocum.)

I love this resort. So tropical looking, gorgeous beach and pool.

snorkeling trips on premises equals we are probably booking it.

Is it all you can eat and drink (Not required)?

I will look it all up.

Thanks a lot

P and K

Or ask whatever snorkel trip you are on, if there is an option to be dropped off straight at a resort.  Paradise and Nachi both have piers and we have done that at both.  Beats going back to a marina or the port area - that turnaround would indeed waste alot of time getting to the resort and enjoying the most of it.  

The resort is also more likely to be crowded by that time and getting prime lounge chair locations or larger groups placed together - will be more of a challenge.

If just looking to snorkel, I echo above and arrange a trip direct from your resort.  Just about all resorts would have a basic option to do so.  If looking for more emphasis on a nice catamaran ride or snorkel trip to perhaps other reefs - then concentrate on that and then come back and enjoy the ship's pool area.

Orr, maybe you have a really long stop and plenty of time to enjoy both...enjoy no matter what.

• Like 2

Without specifics of what snorkeling trip you are considering, I agree it is very difficult to advise., not knowing the logistics. 

i am not sure AI at Allegro would be worth it as an add-on, UNLESS you have young kids in your group or you do the snorkeling directly from there. There are much more suitable, less expensive options on Cozumel.

We would need more details on what you are specifically considering/requiring in the way of facilities and which port you are docking at to advise. 

Buccanos is a nice place but way up north. I am not sure I would go there particularly after an excursion, especially from the southern piers. If you wanted to snorkel directly from shore, without a boat, it might be a good option to do everything  in one place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Without specifics of what snorkeling trip you are considering, I agree it is very difficult to advise., not knowing the logistics. 

i am not sure AI at Allegro would be worth it as an add-on, UNLESS you have young kids in your group or you do the snorkeling directly from there. There are much more suitable, less expensive options on Cozumel.

We would need more details on what you are specifically considering/requiring in the way of facilities and which port you are docking at to advise. 

Buccanos is a nice place but way up north. I am not sure I would go there particularly after an excursion, especially from the southern piers. If you wanted to snorkel directly from shore, without a boat, it might be a good option to do everything  in one place.

I typed Buccanos as we are probably stopping there next week as we have a car rental that day.  So it was on my mind!  I agree, probably too far.  It's also helpful to know where pickup and dropoff are for the logistics.  Also how long is the excursion and what does it include?

In any case, I concur with people who suggested just getting the trip with your Day pass.  OR ask the company you book snorkeling trip with if there's a beach club near the drop off/pickup that you can hang at.  

It's a waste of money imo to purchase a day pass plus the snorkeling trip. 

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I typed Buccanos as we are probably stopping there next week as we have a car rental that day.  So it was on my mind!  I agree, probably too far.  It's also helpful to know where pickup and dropoff are for the logistics.  Also how long is the excursion and what does it include?

In any case, I concur with people who suggested just getting the trip with your Day pass.  OR ask the company you book snorkeling trip with if there's a beach club near the drop off/pickup that you can hang at.  

It's a waste of money imo to purchase a day pass plus the snorkeling trip. 

+1

• Like 1

22 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Very good post and thxs for that.

I will try the best to give you specifics.

1) Mid 50’s couple. 

2) I m a very experienced snorkeler. My wife not so much. When we do snorkeling excursions we make sure the guide can stay with her.

so i can take off but am not reckless.

3) Resort got to have the paradisiac feel. Tropical landscape, gorgeous pool(s).

4) No party type, music blasting at pool and the likes. A little is fine of course.

Loaded with kids is not good but of course some families are ok too.

40 kids playing in the pool is not for us.

5) Snorkeling from resort beach a plus after doing a snorkeling excursion from a resort.

Someone mentioned Nachi Cocum here for day pass and they have snorkeling excursions. It does look great indeed.

Punta Lagosta is our pier. Docked from 8 to 5.

We want to do the snorkeling no matter what. The resort is second. But both would be great.

you mention “Cheap opportunities”, can you elaborate? Like snorkeling from shore free would be ok too, if safe of course.

I wAnt to see coral, puffers, triggers, parrotfish schools, stingrays and the likes maybe a shark or two if in a safe excursion.

Just sand and a few damsels here and there won’t cut it.

Thxs a lot

P and K

50 minutes ago, vaindioux said:

We want to do the snorkeling no matter what. The resort is second. But both would be great.

Thanks for filling us in on some of the specifics hopefully people will be better able to advise now. The places where you can snorkel directly from shore will be rocky and not have the tropical oasis or pools you require. The hotel resorts with day passes maybe better in that respect but you will require a boat excursion.

Sandy beaches are to the south of town;semi-sandy resorts to the north; Totally ironstone, just north and south of the southern piers. Cheaper snorkeling options would probably rule out sandy beach and tropical pools. 

I have been visiting Cozumel for land and cruise visits for 20 years so I am fairly well acquainted with most of the island. I “dabble” in snorkeling, (perhaps like your wife) but I am by no means a snorkeling expert and will leave that to others on this board, especially @mitsugirly and @jean87510

I cannot attest to quality of snorkeling but perhaps consider Nachi, Buccanos, Park Royal, Punta Sur, Chankanaab as compromises. None will have everything you require. Tropical style pools are limited on Cozumel.

Mitsugirly has a very photo intensive blog which details many resorts on Cozumel and especially what she has found snorkeling at various sites,  which may interest you and help your decision. (Incidentally if you explore you may find suggestions for other ports of call too.)

https://www.travelwithmitsugirly.com/cozumel-ports

I can tell you that the near reefs of Cozumel were destroyed in a hurricane (maybe 15? years ago and are still only slowly recovering). Cozumel is more renowned  for diving. People often comment that the boat tours go to reefs that are too deep to see much snorkeling. My main  concern about snorkeling in Cozumel is that most of the snorkeling is “drift” snorkeling both close to shore and by boat  and you need to know and understand the currents in advance. I am not sure I am physically strong enough these days to be in control. I am not sure too many places offer a guide when snorkeling from shore in Cozumel.

Other locations, Belize, Roatan Costa Maya have reefs nearer to shore and not as deep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vaindioux said:

1) Mid 50’s couple. 

2) I m a very experienced snorkeler. My wife not so much. When we do snorkeling excursions we make sure the guide can stay with her.

3) Resort got to have the paradisiac feel. Tropical landscape, gorgeous pool(s).

4) No party type, music blasting at pool and the likes. A little is fine of course.

5) Snorkeling from resort beach a plus after doing a snorkeling excursion from a resort.

Someone mentioned Nachi Cocum here for day pass and they have snorkeling excursions. It does look great indeed.

you mention “Cheap opportunities”, can you elaborate? Like snorkeling from shore free would be ok too, if safe of course.

I wAnt to see coral, puffers, triggers, parrotfish schools, stingrays and the likes maybe a shark or two if in a safe excursion.

Thxs a lot

P and K

I'd keep the snorkeling excursion as is especially if they are taking you to El Cielo,and Palancar and Columbia reefs.  Then find out from them if they can drop you off at a beach bar club or if there's one they recommend.  Suggest to them Playa Corona, Money Bar and Sky Reef.  These are not sandy beaches but have good food and drink plus good shore snorkeling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vaindioux said:

1) Mid 50’s couple. 

Thxs a lot

P and K

We are actually going to be in Cozumel on the 3rd with our rental car and shore snorkeling in some new spots for us.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I'd keep the snorkeling excursion as is especially if they are taking you to El Cielo,and Palancar and Columbia reefs.  Then find out from them if they can drop you off at a beach bar club or if there's one they recommend.  Suggest to them Playa Corona, Money Bar and Sky Reef.  These are not sandy beaches but have good food and drink plus good shore snorkeling.

Don’t most people consider the reefs too deep at Palancar and Colombia to see much while snorkeling?

I agree with Money Bar or Sky Reef as cheaper options for snorkeling from shore but am not sure they have guides(?) and certainly not pools for the wife. Perhaps you  could split your time and taxi onto Nachi. Or since you are docking in town,  maybe go north and combine La Monina/ Hemingway’s for a snorkel and move onto Buccanos for better food, pool and another opportunity to snorkel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Don’t most people consider the reefs too deep at Palancar and Colombia to see much while snorkeling?

I agree with Money Bar or Sky Reef as cheaper options for snorkeling from shore but am not sure they have guides(?) and certainly not pools for the wife. Perhaps you  could split your time and taxi onto Nachi. Or since you are docking in town,  maybe go north and combine La Monina/ Hemingway’s for a snorkel and move onto Buccanos for better food, pool and another opportunity to snorkel.

The most recent time we visited the reefs was March 2021.  We went with Mystic Snorkel who I highly recommend as the guide goes with you and it's a small group.  There were 3 of us and my husband plus another gentleman were free diving down with their weight belts .  I was able to see quite a bit floating at the surface.  We did a drift type snorkel over both areas.  Then had a snack with the starfish and stingrays.  We are going back with them next April 2024.  I didn't think the reefs were too deep.  

I THINK there may be guides at sky reef.  It's one of our stops as i love the guacamole.  I'll ask and report back.

• Like 2

Lots to look into and i really appreciate the help.

one thing that i did not make clear, is that when i say my wife needs a guide, it’s someone that brings you to the snorkeling excursion.

He goes in the water, sometimes pointing at interesting things but often being there in case a guest needs help.

Thxs again

P and K

1 minute ago, vaindioux said:

Lots to look into and i really appreciate the help.

one thing that i did not make clear, is that when i say my wife needs a guide, it’s someone that brings you to the snorkeling excursion.

He goes in the water, sometimes pointing at interesting things but often being there in case a guest needs help.

Thxs again

P and K

That's what our Mystic Snorkel guide did.  It was the skipper (?) and him plus the 3 of us.  He was diving down showing the guys stuff and then would come over to me and point things out.  We were really impressed with the outfit.

Another guide that is a little more expensive but will include an itinerary of what you may like with the beach plus snorkeling is Adrian Cozumel.  You have to google and reach out via whatsapp and or FB.  A lot of land visitors use him.

• Like 1