Bermuda Passort required ?

tbtma

Hi Folks, I'm sure this has been asked many times on this board but is a passport required when going to Bermuda ? Leaving  from Bayonne NJ on a 7 night cruise & returning to NJ. Most of our group do have passports with 1 person still waiting on hers, she applied for her passport around 8 weeks ago & still showing pending . She has tried countless times to reach them but no luck. She does have an enhanced license & birth certificate,  & a marriage license.

TIA

Bonzo

Edited by tbtma
spelling errors

40 minutes ago, tbtma said:

Hi Folks, I'm sure this has been asked many times on this board but is a passport required when going to Bermuda ? Leaving  from Bayonne NJ on a 7 night cruise & returning to NJ. Most of our group do have passports with 1 person still waiting on hers, she applied for her passport around 8 weeks ago & still showing pending . She has tried countless times to reach them but no luck. She does have an enhanced license & birth certificate,  & a marriage license.

TIA

Bonzo

A passport is not required on a closed loop cruise from Bayonne to Bermuda. A birth certificate and a government issued photo ID and the marriage certificate are good. You mention an Enhanced Drivers License.  That would be good on its own if it actually an EDL but some people confuse Real ID, the license with the star with EDL. A Real ID DL is not an EDL and would have to be used with a birth certificate. 

Edited by Charles4515

25 minutes ago, tbtma said:

Yeah saw the above info. Not entirely clear on what " other approved documents " are. Can anyone offer further info ?

Bonzo

If you read further under closed loop cruises it lists the other approved documents. 

Thanks for posting this question and the replies.   I'm on week 12 and still waiting for my passport status to change. Cruising in 17 days and doubt I'll have my passport and I was wondering if I had other options.  Thanks again.

37 minutes ago, ClipClop said:

Cruising in 17 days and doubt I'll have my passport and I was wondering if I had other options.

You can qualify for an urgent travel need if you have booked international travel within 14 days. At that point you can reach out to the passport center near you to schedule an appointment before departure. The passport can be done on the same day but will depend on if an appointment is available. 

The other option would be to pay a passport agency. I've used G3 Passport and Visas in the past for work (a lot of the major airlines use them for crew issues like lost passports etc) and they can turn things around in as little as 5 days-- but it costs about $750 to do it. 

1 hour ago, ClipClop said:

Thanks for posting this question and the replies.   I'm on week 12 and still waiting for my passport status to change. Cruising in 17 days and doubt I'll have my passport and I was wondering if I had other options.  Thanks again.

A lot of people are in the same boat because of the backlog.. The lucky ones were on closed loop cruises that allowed birth certificates. Others who were not on closed loop cruise were not able to go. 

On 6/29/2023 at 1:16 PM, ClipClop said:

We are waiting on our daughter's passport as well...Did you pay for expedited? Thanks!

On 6/29/2023 at 1:16 PM, ClipClop said:

We sent off our kids passports for renewals toward the end of March (had scheduled it earlier but then one of them got sick and had to wait until we could get another appointment...) and they just came back last week. I wasn't panicking because I knew they could go with birth certificates if needed, but it definitely makes me feel better to have them!