Crown Princess and free laundry!

Raja2005

Had an unexpected surprise during our 10-day Alaska trip (June 13-June 23). I have used the laundry facilities with Princess many times and am familiar with the set up for purchasing tokens. I was in the laundry room and purchase $12 in tokens to do two loads of laundry, and two loads in the dryer. I had my first load in, and was about to do my second when another passenger saw me and said "oh you don't need tokens any more, its free!" and she got me to remove my token. Sure enough, the machine worked without it and so did the dryers! The only thing you needed tokens for was to buy laundry detergent or fabric softener (which I brought from home). The odd thing is, some passengers knew about this , but many did not. Those of us in the laundry room kept stopping people from buying tokens and helped spread the news. 

I was a tad miffed that I now just spent $12 US for nothing and there is no signage in the laundry room or in your cabin saying the machines are free. I used the chat function on the Medallion App to request a refund and I was advised to go to Guest Services. I headed over the next day and there was no problem getting the charge off my account.

Just wanted to get the word out to any of you travelling on the Crown - curious if this is happening on other ships as well? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When we were on the Discovery in December we did laundry.  Yes the washers and dryers were free and they also have boxes of free laundry soap (All Free and Clear) and  (Downy).  I was surprised and pleased.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We were on the Crown in May for 21 days. Yes, laundry and dryers were free. We bought $12 in tokens and had used three before we learned we didn't need them. Kept our extra token for our next cruise.

Once my wife knew the laundry was free it was another load every 3-4 days. We didn't request a refund as we had done a lot of loads. It also meant bringing home a lot of clean clothes.

We now pack the eco-laundry sheets and dryer sheets. They take up almost no space or weight. Much easier than the laundry pods.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barry H said:

We were on the Crown in May for 21 days. Yes, laundry and dryers were free. We bought $12 in tokens and had used three before we learned we didn't need them. Kept our extra token for our next cruise.

Once my wife knew the laundry was free it was another load every 3-4 days. We didn't request a refund as we had done a lot of loads. It also meant bringing home a lot of clean clothes.

We now pack the eco-laundry sheets and dryer sheets. They take up almost no space or weight. Much easier than the laundry pods.

On the Discovery the washers and dryers were free and the token machines were disabled 

On 8/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, Scottygirl1 said:

Anyone know if Regal Princess has free laundry as well?

We were on the Regal Oct - Nov 2022 and March 2023 and had to use tokens.  Was on the Sky in June and also needed tokens.  Have yet to be on the Discovery so maybe one day the laundry room will be free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geepmaley said:

Anyone know about Majestic? Sailing Sep 9 but leaving a week earlier for extra days plus land tour

Just got off the Majestic July 22nd and we needed tokens. The machines were good though. I think tide was the brand of detergent they sold. 

On 8/4/2023 at 1:37 PM, Barry H said:

I just bought the washing sheets, versus using the liquid packets like before. LOL at your wife - I will likely be the same way doing laundry every other day now. I better pack more washing and softener sheets than normal 🤣

18 hours ago, AJSkarbo said:

Just got off the Majestic July 22nd and we needed tokens. The machines were good though. I think tide was the brand of detergent they sold. 

So do you get detergent with the $3 you pay per token or do you need to bring your own

28 minutes ago, geepmaley said:

So do you get detergent with the $3 you pay per token or do you need to bring your own

You will need 3 tokens at $3.00 each for the wash, the dryer and for the soap if you don’t bring soap from home.  Think the soap is a powder   I use the pods and the washing sheets are another option. 

2 hours ago, geepmaley said:

There is one token dispenser that dispenses tokens for the the washers/dryers and laundry detergent/fabric softener sheets.  The large tokens are are for the washer/dryers. and the small tokens are for detergent/fabric softener sheets.  There is a separate dispenser that you feed the small tokens far the detergent/fabric softener sheets.  One single use box of Tide powder detergent is $1.50.  One box of Bounce fabric softener sheets, containing 2 sheets per box is $1.50.  There is a slot for ALL and/or Sun laundry detergent but haven't seen these available since the restart.  It's always Tide.

Recommend brining your own detergent (pods or single use sachets)/fabric softener sheets because it's not always a guarantee that the ship can provision the single use variety and the machines can run out.  

Note that the washers don't have a fabric softener dispenser, so liquid fabric softener isn't recommended.  You have to pay attention to the wash cycle and add the liquid fabric softener when the tub fills for the rinse cycle.

6 hours ago, geepmaley said:

Detergent is not included. It is available for purchase. But as others have mentioned, some in my group brought their own. 

7 hours ago, theloo said:

With the machines being free, does that make it more crowded?  I was just on the Emerald and getting (paid) self service laundry done was a challenge!

There are laundry rooms on every deck.  Try going up or down a deck if it’s urgent.

9 hours ago, theloo said:

With the machines being free, does that make it more crowded?  I was just on the Emerald and getting (paid) self service laundry done was a challenge!

Never had free machines but I'm sure It all depends on the time of day or the day you choose to do your laundry.  I try to get there when they open the door (if it's not open 24 hours) or around 6:30 to 7:00am while most people are thinking about their breakfast.  The next to last cruise day has more people who are wanting to take home clean clothes or the first sea day for  those who had dirty clothes from  their pre cruise touring.  As someone mentioned, if the machines on your floor are in use go to one of the other floors to find open machines.  A big problem happens when someone puts in their wash and then comes back whenever they feel like it to move their clothes over to the dryer.   

• 1 month later...