Live from the NCL Spirit B2B July 5-19, 2023 (more sarcasm and grumpiness!)

YVRteacher

Laundry is in the washing machine, the fridge is even emptier, I’ve read all my library books and taken out the recycling. What am I supposed to do for the next 43 hours? 

I wrote my dad an email explaining how to get in the taxi and how NOT to give the taxi driver “instructions” like he did last time that had the taxi in the wrong city trying to find my house.

(Me to the taxi driver: why didn’t you use your GPS?

Taxi driver: he said to turn here…he said it was the right way…)

My dad just called to say he understood the email but couldn’t he just tell the taxi driver one little thing?  

I said no.

• Haha 16

4 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Laundry is in the washing machine, the fridge is even emptier, I’ve read all my library books and taken out the recycling. What am I supposed to do for the next 43 hours?...

Binge watch the muster drill video.  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

43 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Yesterday I had a bagel for breakfast and rice with peas for dinner!

The rice was a Covid apocalypse purchase and after I ate it I realized it expired over a year ago. 

Lol. During the world is about to end phase I bought 10 cans of soup. I have never eaten canned soup in my life. Needless to say, they are still sitting in my cupboard.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Laundry is in the washing machine, the fridge is even emptier, I’ve read all my library books and taken out the recycling. What am I supposed to do for the next 43 hours? 

I wrote my dad an email explaining how to get in the taxi and how NOT to give the taxi driver “instructions” like he did last time that had the taxi in the wrong city trying to find my house.

(Me to the taxi driver: why didn’t you use your GPS?

Taxi driver: he said to turn here…he said it was the right way…)

My dad just called to say he understood the email but couldn’t he just tell the taxi driver one little thing?  

I said no.

I love him so much!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Lol. During the world is about to end phase I bought 10 cans of soup. I have never eaten canned soup in my life. Needless to say, they are still sitting in my cupboard.

Relatable!!  For some reason I thought I needed 10 cans of coconut milk. 

I was wrong.

• Haha 3

On 6/30/2023 at 7:57 AM, YVRteacher said:

Our school year ended this week and I am depleted and a little bit numb. Hopefully this trip will be rejuvenating in all the best ways.

I am looking forward to:

-whale watching with Jayleen in Juneau

-exploring and experiencing Sitka for the first time

-being on board the Spirit 

-truffles in Juneau

-a photography workshop and tour in Ketchikan

-playing all the games and trivias on board

-reading

-that all aboard drink. What should it be this time?

My dad is excited for unlimited beer, Alaska and being away from his senior’s home. He is also looking forward to dining with people who don’t talk with their mouth full.

I took him to Granville Island last weekend because we had tickets to see Million Dollar Quartet. We had some time to spare before the show so browsed the Net Loft. In the hat store, my dad complained there were too many hats.

Wishing you a wonderful tour so you can refill your energy and spirit!  I will be curious of your experience on the Spirit as well as any excursions, as I am liking the more personable smaller ships and already planning my next Alaskan adventure.

good luck with the last minute packing and with embarcation tomorrow!

• Like 1

I hope you and Dad have a wonderful time on this cruise.

Have you heard anything yet about having a easier time getting Dad boarded tomorrow?

I can not wait to hear about this adventure.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always,

Mandy

• Like 1

The packing has commenced! I’m packing for two trips because the day after I return from Alaska I fly to Iceland for 23 days on the NCL Star.

I just called my dad to let him know that I made a reservation for one dinner in Le Bistro and there is a dress code so he needs dress pants.

There was a big silence and a big sigh then he said he would see if they fit.

I said, “you’ll be fine. You haven’t gained that much weight!”

Dad said, “I meant I’ll see if they fit in my suitcase…”

oops.

• Haha 20

38 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I hope you and Dad have a wonderful time on this cruise.

Have you heard anything yet about having a easier time getting Dad boarded tomorrow?

I can not wait to hear about this adventure.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always,

Mandy

Thank you Mandy!

I haven’t heard anything from NCL Access Desk but a Cruise Critic friend provided me with the phone number I need.

42 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

The packing has commenced! I’m packing for two trips because the day after I return from Alaska I fly to Iceland for 23 days on the NCL Star.

I just called my dad to let him know that I made a reservation for one dinner in Le Bistro and there is a dress code so he needs dress pants.

oops.

He can just wear his pajama pants.  Nobody will say a thing.

• Like 1

All packed. Carry-on only for two weeks in Alaska. This is the Briggs and Riley International Carry On compression case.

IMG_4253.thumb.jpeg.c7c92efa73a773bb72d9ea24dcbb4205.jpeg

This is the day bag I use. The brand is pacsafe and it is theft-proof (the strap and bag can’t be cut, the zippers lock, it has some sort of you-can’t-steal-my-info protection) and I can fit a lot in this small bag.  The outside pockets hold a water bottle and bubbles.  I keep reading trip reports on CC where people talk about going back to the cabin the night before an excursion to pack a day bag. My strategy is to pack the day bag at home and always take the same items ashore regardless of weather. No drinking time is wasted packing the day bag during the cruise.  I also leave the bag packed when I get home from a trip and it is always ready to go. 
IMG_4249.thumb.jpeg.909fa2594c2f94e761904822738d2bbb.jpeg

When on a boat trip or heading out on a rainy day I use this waterproof phone case to protect my phone while taking photos.

IMG_4250.thumb.jpeg.f16aec55a095bf2a7220795368d80225.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

oops.

Love it!!!!❤️

• Like 1

@UKstages they are the best bags! When you cruise, do you use the full size one or the carry on size? I also have the bag that goes over the handle of the suitcase and love that too.

Sometimes I see people with two refrigerator-sized suitcases for one person for one week and I think, “why??”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

they are the best bags! When you cruise, do you use the full size one or the carry on size?

sadly, I tend to overpack… I gotta do better at this. I take the full-size and the carryon. i give the full size to a porter and take the carryon and the briefcase onboard myself. the carryon holds mostly electronics, camera equipment and other valuables.

to be fair, my last cruise was a 21-day B2B, with a 5-day land holiday at the end… so, it was 26 days in all. plus, we sailed through three separate climates, so I kind of needed a bunch of stuff. and I typically need room in my suitcase for a bottle of duty free whatever plus a few tchotchkes picked up along the way. still, i overpacked, especially considering I had access to three free laundry bags during the cruise.

for those unfamiliar with briggs and riley and wondering why we’re such fans… they are incredible quality-made bags with lots of special features, including expanding compression technology to give you that extra bit of room at the last minute, as well as a lifetime guarantee… a genuine lifetime guarantee… wheels, zippers, mechanical faults… you take the bag into an authorized repair center or ship it back to them for repair. or you can order wheel replacement kits online. briggs and riley are what tumi used to be twenty years ago… before tumi was bought by samsonite.

• Like 4