Latest Cruise Critic Articles About River Cruising

Host Jazzbeau

So I should have been working in the yard today, but I found an excellent form of procrastination:  updating my Stickies at the top of this forum with all the new articles that Cruise Critic has published in the last couple of years.  Take a look!

New to RIVER CRUISING??? START HERE!!!

River CRUISE LINE articles on Cruise Critic

RIVERS and AREAS articles on Cruise Critic

So I cut the lawn this afternoon and took care of the other urgent garden tasks – and then rewarded myself with some Walker's shortbread Scotties and a G&T.  Feeling very British!

• Like 1

Naughty naughty, ohh you’ve discovered GT o’clock, (originally G & it o’clock) shhhhh this is a closely guarded secret, where do you think we all disappear to around that time although in my case it’s V & T, Gin does not agree with me.

35 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Naughty naughty, ohh you’ve discovered GT o’clock, (originally G & it o’clock) shhhhh this is a closely guarded secret, where do you think we all disappear to around that time although in my case it’s V & T, Gin does not agree with me.

We discovered it on our AMA river cruise on the Zambezi Queen.  Toward the end of the afternoon game float [so much smoother than bouncing around on a Land Rover...], the boat driver would call out "who wants a G&T?" and then open his cooler chest and mix the ingredients.  A lovely tradition that I try to keep up [from time to time, DW and doctors notwithstanding...]

On 6/30/2023 at 3:12 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

with all the new articles that Cruise Critic has published in the last couple of years

But there are some 6 year old articles still listed.

Things change fast, and really any article not dated the current year will be out of date.

I read articles on a line I know well - Viking - and on Scenic with whom I've cruised once.

It wasn't clear in some articles whether the writer was writing about their own experiences or repeating what the brochures said. And then there were the contradictions.

One article said that Viking's menu 'doesn't have as much regional focus as you might expect' (1) (expectations aren't qualified), but another article said that Viking served 'tasty dishes that showcase regional specialties', (2) while another said of Viking  'local cuisine is a big part of the menu.' (3)

One article started 'I have been lucky enough to sail quite a bit since the restart of cruising, but not on a river ship, so I was wondering just what things would be like back on board. It turns out that the experience on Viking Radgrid is almost exactly as I remembered it.' (4) If the author had never been on a river cruise, how could his first one be 'almost exactly as I remembered it.' ?

He also said the breakfast buffet 'it was nice to have the option of a lavish Champagne breakfast buffet each morning'. (4) I have never known Viking to have Champagne on the breakfast buffet. Champagne is restricted to those that have Silver Spirits package.

'Dinner is four courses, and usually begins at 7:30 p.m. Breakfast and lunch are buffets' (1) Dinner is usually served at 7pm. This article, dated May 2023 plus others said that lunch in the Aquavit lounge is a buffet and that the lounge served a restricted menu. This was the case, but in 2023 Viking changed to a full waiter service with an identical menu to the main restaurant.

The article Scenic vs. Viking River Cruises, updated April 19, 2023 says 'However, with Scenic this fare also included complimentary private door-to-door transfers.',(2)  no more alas, 2023 saw the end of this except for those who'd cruised several times previously with Scenic.

It's probably impossible to have 100% accuracy as the offerings change frequently, but I'd expect more editorial control over articles to ensure consistency between them and to remove padding. Also I'd like to know if the author has personal experience and whether the cruise was paid for or was complimentary.

The site they are on is named CruiseCritic.

(1) Viking River Cruise Ships: Everything You Need to Know About a Viking Longship Updated May 11, 2023

(2) Scenic vs. Viking River Cruises Updated April 19, 2023

(3) Viking River Cruise vs. Viking Ocean Cruise Updated February 07, 2020

(4) Sailing on a Viking Longship: The European River Cruise Magic Is Still There in 2022 Updated March 24, 2022