Grandeur of the Seas. Fourth of July in a GS in the Caribbean

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Not a popular ship I guess, reason for the low numbers.

Ship was sold out for our upcoming mid-July sailing.  Now a few OV cabins opened.  Interested to see the numbers when we sail. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

49 minutes ago, BND said:

Not sure what clothing has to do with it.  I wear capris regularly.  Being Pinn doesn't mean they dress nice every evening.  

I didn't say the individual was a pinnacle.  I don't know why.  I'm just guessing it was clothes.  

35 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Jean87510 - if you get a chance, can you ask the concierge if he/she knows the approximate Pinnacle numbers for the July 8 and July 15 sailings? 

If not, no problem. 

Thanks 

M

Yes I will.  Concierge is Salvador.  

45 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Ship was sold out for our upcoming mid-July sailing.  Now a few OV cabins opened.  Interested to see the numbers when we sail. 

M

Ours was sold out as well.  

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Amazes me too.  Wouldn't you know if you had an extra suitcase?  

M

We've received those letters a few times.  It's been reported some people just pull every suitcase outside their door into their room and sometimes have no clue one isn't theirs or they just don't care enough to do anything about it.

12 minutes ago, BND said:

We've received those letters a few times.  It's been reported some people just pull every suitcase outside their door into their room and sometimes have no clue one isn't theirs or they just don't care enough to do anything about it.

And don't unpack?

• Like 1

Day 3 - Cozumel.  We have been here quite a bit but always manage to find a new spot or 2.  Since we love snorkeling from shore or boat, we decided a whilr ago to cancel our plan to visit Tulum and a cenote and just rent a car to drive around.  We used Fiesta Car rental which was at the international pier to the right of the exit.  A gas station is across the street to fill on way back.  We had reserved for $60 for the day.

We originally were going to Buccanos but it is closed on Mondays apparently.  So we drove as far as we could to the north (nothing but skeeters) and turned around to start heading down south. We tried Playa Azul for a day pass but they said no.  We did stop at a place Island Beach club which had no see ums but excellent margaritas.  $12pp with a $200 peso card pp to spend.  Decent snorkeling.

We next headed to Tikila bar to see the underground statues.  There is very little info on these on Cruise critic which is a shame because they are really interesting.  Plus there are coral reefs there that a local is growing that are very interesting.  We tend to gravitate to shore snorkeling where we see scuba people as that's where the good stuff is.  

We then decided why not drive around the island since we had the car?  Saw all the usual East side places (Chen Rio, Coconuts...).  Debated on Punta Sur but decided to skip this time as its a bit of a drive in to the beach.  Dropped the rental off and back up to room to relax.

Had some rain earlier.  Also noticed pretty strong current at the Island beach.  Did notice a few idiots swimming near chen rio (tourists).

P7030017.JPG

20230703_101817-1.jpg

P7030006.JPG

20230703_123117.jpg

20230703_114220.jpg

• Like 2

Day 4, Roatan.  Happy 4th of July!!  

Little nostalgic for home today as missing my crazy South Philly transplanted neighbors lighting off fireworks and blasting music.  No fireworks on the ship.  A balloon drop and the Boston ones will be shown on the screen.  As a disgruntled Sixers fan, I'm still not thrilled about Boston but I'll try to watch the show.

Others like me have discovered the sneaking into gym before 6am.  And anyone who does this at 530am, truly is a gym rat.  At least we are not chair hogging at 530am.  😁

The WJ was busy as usual so I went down to the suite breakfast.  Of course no special K.  I get aggravated about this.  Don't have it on the menu if you won't carry it.  So I said ok, I just want plain wheat toast and coffee.  Tomorrow I'll just go to WJ as it probably will be faster as my husband went there after me, ate 2 bowls of raisen bran plus an omelet and still beat me back.  

Line already forming for the coffee place on 6.  People sitting on 5 and 6 with ship excursion tickets  and/or giant bags.  I sincerely hope these bags have zippers and they are not going on a boat because that stuff will be gone.  Also saw a few Sombreros from Cozumel being worn.  

• Like 1

Roatan and Belize.  For Roatan we used Roatan Webster tours and customized a package.  We visited Gumbalimba park which we loved as there were no sloths ie no crowds.  The monkeys were adorable.  Loved the Macaws.  We then went to Fosters beach and took a 45 minute snorkel out to the reef off of West End.  Then came back, ordered drinks and food and then walked down to in front of Tabyana when the good shore snorkeling is.  Our day was 7 hours and we had a blast.

Today in Belize our ship excursion small group to Hol Chan was unfortunately canceled but we changed it with a 15% discount to Sharks, Rays, and snorkel.  We met for our tender and were taken to our destinations

Now normally I despise ship excursions but this one was pretty good.  About 27 of us.  Couple of entertainment staff as well.  They gave the usual speech about wearing the lifejacket while snorkeling.  Then the guides showed us how to get around the rule.  It worked and those of us who did this were happy.  I really liked this excursion and the company doing it.  We went to Caye Caulker to have lunch and walked around a bit.  Spoke to a few people about where to stay for land visits.  After we got back to the port we wandered around then took ferry tender back to the ship.

Yesterday was the 4th of July.  There was a balloon drop plus fireworks on the TV.  Watched a juggler last night who was ok and actually sat next to him on the tender.

All the pictures are of Roatan.  The snorkeling ones are from the little water taxi we took to snorkel.

20230704_100141.jpg

20230704_172145.jpg

P7040003.JPG

20230704_105700_edit_1688508111728-2.jpg

P7040001.JPG

• Like 1

Little slow cleaning tables in WJ.  This was like this for at least 20 minutes.  Very difficult finding a table this am.  Suite breakfast opens inconveniently at 730 which was the time we had to report to the theater.  So it's room service or this.

20230705_072831.jpg

On 7/2/2023 at 2:15 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

If the “hall monitor” was another passenger you showed good restraint. If it was a staff, they are just doing their job. 

I’m anxious to hear more as we are boarding in a few weeks. 

Hope you enjoy the cruise. 
m

I agree if it’s an employee, because otherwise some people let their friends and family in who don’t belong there. They should be happy because the “hall monitors” weed out intruders who would take up seats that should be for suite or pinnacle guests. We have been asked a few times and I don’t mind at all. It takes 2 seconds.

On 7/3/2023 at 6:42 AM, jean87510 said:

Day 3 early morning on the way into Cozumel.  Last night we decided to head to the WJ to get salads and some soft serve for my husband.  We looked at the show which was a "Broadway production" and decided to head back to cabin and watch episodes 3 and 4 of the Undoing on MAX.  Streaming has been pretty good onboard especially in our cabin.  Haven't had any issues.  

Our plans are to pick up our car from Fiesta and visit Buccanos, Chen Rio, Sky Reef or Money Bar then the Tikila Bar to find the underwater statues.  My husband free dives so he will probably be able to see the statues better than me.  Unfortunately we forgot our cooler so we are going to be using our water bottles only and buying water when needed to replenish.  We are in port 7a until 530pm.  We have been to Cozumel many times but always find something new to do.  We don't like sitting all day with an AI and if we have that, we try to snorkel in the area.

What kind of cooler do you bring? A collapsible one?

On way back from Kohunlich and Dzibanche.  This excursion honestly is a one and done.  There simply is not enough time to do both and fully appreciate them.  We did via the ship. 26 of us from the Allure and the Grandeur.   Left port at 930 am.  2 hr ride to Dzibanche.  About an hour there  Then a 40 minute ride to Kohunlich.  Definitely not for non walkers.  Kids were on.  Bag of corn nuts, granola bar, apple, water snd wafer for a snack.  1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese for sandwich at 3pm.  Given water and 2 bathroom breaks.  Force everyone to pay $4 to take pictures with your phones which is not on description.  We just paid for 1 as it was petty.  No where to purchase anything if you like that.  Guide was ok but seemed focused on stuff I wasn't a fan of and that's where I'll leave it. 

20230706_125923.jpg

20230706_131055.jpg

20230706_143726.jpg

20230706_145546.jpg

• Thanks 1

We were the last people on besides another couple at 540pm.  What I found fascinating is they made us walk that entire pier and not tram us.  It's all good because we needed to stretch our legs but just odd.  The officers were there with stern faces but maybe that's the normal.  Lot's of cheering when we walked up.  

We did go to Izumi last night.  I don't eat fish or nuts and loved my dinner and dessert.  Had Udon with beef, veg fried rice, chicken teriyaki and warm chocolate cake.  Had my cool as a cucumber drink from the suite lounge.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

We were the last people on besides another couple at 540pm.  What I found fascinating is they made us walk that entire pier and not tram us.  It's all good because we needed to stretch our legs but just odd.  The officers were there with stern faces but maybe that's the normal.  Lot's of cheering when we walked up.  

We did go to Izumi last night.  I don't eat fish or nuts and loved my dinner and dessert.  Had Udon with beef, veg fried rice, chicken teriyaki and warm chocolate cake.  Had my cool as a cucumber drink from the suite lounge.  

What time was all aboard or departure?  Of course they had stern faces.  Your late arrival made 2000 wait and may have cost the cruise line extra fees.  

M