Shore excursions on the Radiance of the Seas Pacific Northwest cruise

49 minutes ago, vanislandtravel said:

There don’t seem to be any shore excursions available for Santa Barbara or our final day in San Diego before going to the airport.

Nothing yet for Santa Barbara or Astoria,  Oregon.  Don't know why.  I do see something,  at least on the app, with an excursion in San Diego with a drop off at the airport. 

My son went to college in SB, living there for 5 years.  I texted him and said, "what would a cruise passenger do in SB".  His reply was cryptic, but succinct:  "State Street; Channel Islands Nat'l Park; go up to SB City College for the view".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pcur said:

My son went to college in SB, living there for 5 years.  I texted him and said, "what would a cruise passenger do in SB".  His reply was cryptic, but succinct:  "State Street; Channel Islands Nat'l Park; go up to SB City College for the view".

Sounds good.  Thanks. 

Btw this is actually the Pacific Coast cruise.

Edited by njkruzer

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Sounds good.  Thanks. 

Btw this is actually the Pacific Coast cruise.

Aware of this.  I have no clue about Astoria, except it's beautiful countryside.

For Astoria -  Ship will dock right near the downtown area.   There are lots of shops and galleries.   Also near the small streetcar line.   Visit the Maritime Museum which is very good.   Also the Flavel House.   Fort Clatsop (recreation of Lewis and Clark winter home).   I would assume there is a local bus or shuttle that would take you to Flavel House, Fort Clatsop and up the Astoia Column with spectacular views.

Astoria does a very nice job welcoming cruise ships.  There were be Ambassadors all over the downtown area to direct you and there is usually a vendor area right near the exit from the ship with local handicrafts and food items.

Excursions to Mt. St. Helens are often offered by the cruise lines.   Make sure the excursion goes all the way to Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center, otherwise you will be miles away from the volcano and no where near the blast zone.   Note:  Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center was reopened for this season due to a bridge washout.   Johnston Ridge Observatory is closed until the bridge is replaced, which is a shame as that visitor center gives you a full on view into the crater.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

2 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

For Astoria -  Ship will dock right near the downtown area.   There are lots of shops and galleries.   Also near the small streetcar line.   Visit the Maritime Museum which is very good.   Also the Flavel House.   Fort Clatsop (recreation of Lewis and Clark winter home).   I would assume there is a local bus or shuttle that would take you to Flavel House, Fort Clatsop and up the Astoia Column with spectacular views.

Astoria does a very nice job welcoming cruise ships.  There were be Ambassadors all over the downtown area to direct you and there is usually a vendor area right near the exit from the ship with local handicrafts and food items.

Excursions to Mt. St. Helens are often offered by the cruise lines.   Make sure the excursion goes all the way to Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center, otherwise you will be miles away from the volcano and no where near the blast zone.   Note:  Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center was reopened for this season due to a bridge washout.   Johnston Ridge Observatory is closed until the bridge is replaced, which is a shame as that visitor center gives you a full on view into the crater..

Joe

Thanks

• Like 1