Alaska Airlines Carry On - Looking for a new suitcase

poohbear8

I have been looking and so many pieces of luggage that claim to be "carry on" are bigger than the 22" x 14" x 9"  (45" linear max) that Alaska Airlines and others want.

Has anyone recently purchase a new piece that either fits that size or is a tad bigger and used it on Alaska? For the cruise I am flying First Class, so checking it won't be the end of the world on this time, but other trips it could be the only suitcase I use.

45 minutes ago, poohbear8 said:

I have been looking and so many pieces of luggage that claim to be "carry on" are bigger than the 22" x 14" x 9"  (45" linear max) that Alaska Airlines and others want.

Has anyone recently purchase a new piece that either fits that size or is a tad bigger and used it on Alaska? For the cruise I am flying First Class, so checking it won't be the end of the world on this time, but other trips it could be the only suitcase I use.

Look at Travel Pro Maxlite  Softside Spinner 19inch. Case Dimensions: 19 in x 15 in x 7.75 in, Overall Dimensions (includes wheels & carry handles): 21.75 in x 15.75 in x 7.75 in, Weight: 5.3 pounds ; Volume : 39 Linear, within Alaska's limits. we purchased ours on Amazon.  Delsey also makes 19" sized carryons, I think it is Helium Aero- 41 linear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHLH821 said:

Look at Travel Pro Maxlite  Softside Spinner 19inch. Case Dimensions: 19 in x 15 in x 7.75 in, Overall Dimensions (includes wheels & carry handles): 21.75 in x 15.75 in x 7.75 in, Weight: 5.3 pounds ; Volume : 39 Linear, within Alaska's limits. we purchased ours on Amazon.  Delsey also makes 19" sized carryons, I think it is Helium Aero- 41 linear.

Thank you! Both of these look like they have the features I like. Is there any particular reason you went with the Travel Pro over the Delsey hard case? My last suitcase was softsided and with the exception of grease which I washed off and broken zipper pull it has held up for 10 years...so much so, my daughter took it to college and I have none now. 

8 minutes ago, poohbear8 said:

Thank you! Both of these look like they have the features I like. Is there any particular reason you went with the Travel Pro over the Delsey hard case? My last suitcase was softsided and with the exception of grease which I washed off and broken zipper pull it has held up for 10 years...so much so, my daughter took it to college and I have none now. 

Not really. my husband and I both needed new luggage for a trip last year and we saw these on Amazon and the price was in our range. It was sold out on the Travelpro website and other places so we grabbed them while available. 

• Like 1

Hard shells are the bags that most frequently break.  And, don’t get me started on spinners.  Here’s a picture of a Rimowa bag that was totally destroyed by the baggage equipment.  I would never buy a hard shell or spinner.  Travelpro are very good bags.image.thumb.png.950e24cb6fabf90580226977614ecbc8.png

Edited by 6rugrats

50 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Hard shells are the bags that most frequently break.  And, don’t get me started on spinners.  Here’s a picture of a Rimowa bag that was totally destroyed by the baggage equipment.

Especially ironic is the priority tag.

50 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

And, don’t get me started on spinners.

Spinners have two inherent drawbacks.  The first is that they reduce the effective amount of space within an airline's allowable dimensions.  And the more significant is that they have four VERY exposed wheels that are inviting "targets" to be snapped off from the luggage case itself.  Granted, some are more securely attached than others, but there are many cheap bags where I could probably snap off spinner wheel with my hands.

Rollers with the wheels embedded in the corners are much more secure in this area.

• Thanks 1

WOW  I have  been lucky  then

Used my hard shell case for the past 15 yrs

1 fatality  the cruise line took off the rubber bumper on the side & the airline took off the other one  (same trip)

HEYS  repaired  it  n/c

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Rollers with the wheels embedded in the corners are much more secure in this area.

So 2 inline skate wheels are better than 4 spinners?

The photo above is my fear. I am leaning towards soft for that reason if I can find one that will hold enough and fit Alaska's plane.

33 minutes ago, poohbear8 said:

I did more research and understand the differences now between the rollarboard and spinners. Both have mixed reviews and both can break after the first use.  I have no idea how to make a decision. (I overthink things like this, so the struggle is real)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

WOW  I have  been lucky  then and 

Used my hard shell case for the past 15 yrs

1 fatality  the cruise line took off the rubber bumper on the side & the airline took off the other one  (same trip)

HEYS  repaired  it  n/c

UA busted a wheel off my hard side and they were going to cover it.  Sent it to their approved repair shop and the wheel was backordered until who knows when. (It was currently available TravelPro)

The repair person told Travel Pro that since there was no ETA, they needed to replace the bag. (It was the very first trip too!) .  They did.

I managed a luggage store for 5 years.  I have had cheap luggage (it's cheap.  It's bad).  I've had expensive luggage, reasonably priced luggage and decent enough stuff that will last a few years and I'll just replace it.  Having had my soft side bag get wet on a ramp in a bad storm, I'll keep my hard side.

I was a firm 2 wheel luggage user but as I got older and achier (is that a word???) I switched to spinners.  (I also had broken wheels on my 2-wheeled bags).

That Rimowa above looks like it fell off something and got run over.  Ugh.  And that's not a cheap Rimowa (well no Rimowa is "cheap") What in the actual heck happened?  That's probably the worst-destroyed bag I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them.

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

I was a firm 2 wheel luggage user but as I got older and achier (is that a word???) 

It is a word, but not in the sense you are using it.

That Rimowa above looks like it fell off something and got run over.  Ugh.  And that's not a cheap Rimowa (well no Rimowa is "cheap") What in the actual heck happened?  That's probably the worst-destroyed bag I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them.

No one is sure.  Assume it was caught someplace on the belt and stuck and was ripped open.  The pax was actually someone who is somewhat famous and was very gracious.  They just sent it back to Rimowa.  Don't know what happened after that.

39 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Edited by 6rugrats