Panama Canal Zaandam front deck on 6

recruiter 28

44 minutes ago, recruiter 28 said:

We are looking at cabin 6102 which faces the deck below the Bridge. Does anyone know if it is opened for the passage through the Panama Canal?

Yes, it was a popular viewing spot as the Zaandam went through the locks in the Panama Canal in my Feb/March BtoB cruise.  I stood at the rail for almost 2 hours.  Get there early for a spot!

21 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Are we talking about the bow (which is almost always opened for scenic cruising, like the Canal) or a walk way higher on the front of the ship?

The bow right outside cabins 6102 and 6100.  The 6102 has two slanted windows looking out towards the deck .  The bridge is above on 7

1 hour ago, Loreto said:

Yes, it was a popular viewing spot as the Zaandam went through the locks in the Panama Canal in my Feb/March BtoB cruise.  I stood at the rail for almost 2 hours.  Get there early for a spot!

How was the Zaandam?  We have sailed the Oosterdam, Rotterdam, Westerdam and NS.  The size of the Zaandam is appealing.  What was your impression?

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Are we talking about the bow (which is almost always opened for scenic cruising, like the Canal) or a walk way higher on the front of the ship?

The bow on the Zaandam is on Promenade Deck (deck 4). It gets crowded out there for scenic cruising. 
Upper Promenade (deck 5), Veranda Deck (deck 6), and in front of the spa also have some outside viewing areas. 

• Like 1

@recruiter 28 Haven't been on it yet, but have looked at 6100 and 6102 several times; please let us know your thoughts if you do book.

I spent 5+ hours on the bow going through Panama Canal and while it was a long time, I thoroughly enjoyed it (diff ship).

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Screenshot_20230703-200531_Drive.jpg

hal-za-deck-plan-050822_230418_000855.pdf

29 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@recruiter 28 Haven't been on it yet, but have looked at 6100 and 6102 several times; please let us know your thoughts if you do book.

I spent 5+ hours on the bow going through Panama Canal and while it was a long time, I thoroughly enjoyed it (diff ship).

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Screenshot_20230703-200531_Drive.jpg

hal-za-deck-plan-050822_230418_000855.pdf 886.61 kB · 0 downloads

It is very tempting and good price...must decide by next week.  The verandas are out of reach!

26 minutes ago, recruiter 28 said:

It is very tempting and good price...must decide by next week.  The verandas are out of reach!

I had never done an Oceanview but kept telling myself I needed to be more flexible as a way to stretch my cruise budget. So, when offered a really good deal on a true forward oceanview, I took it to test it out. We loved it! The cabin was larger than the verandah we usually have and the views were awesome. So that led me to consider those 2 on Zaandam. I don't think I could give up having a balcony permanently, but for certain itineraries where the weather doesn't allow a lot of outdoor time or it's a really port intensive itinerary where we won't be in the cabin much (so no real time to use the balcony), or when verandahs are too much, I would not hesitate to book one again.

2 hours ago, recruiter 28 said:

How was the Zaandam?  We have sailed the Oosterdam, Rotterdam, Westerdam and NS.  The size of the Zaandam is appealing.  What was your impression?

We have been on the Zaandam 5 times and enjoy her size.  The ship was well maintained, but the navigation deck had a/c problems as we approached the Canal.  We are sailing on the Zaandam again next March, so you could say we love her!

As Ruth posted, there is a viewing area outside the gym, which is where I went on the 2nd part of the BtoB.

Not that any of us can know what people will do, but is there a concern that crowds would gather on 6 forward to the point that the views from 6100 and 6102 would be obstructed while going through the locks?

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Not that any of us can know what people will do, but is there a concern that crowds would gather on 6 forward to the point that the views from 6100 and 6102 would be obstructed while going through the locks?

We are thinking the front view will be good when coming into ports also.  We will definitely leave our cabin when going through the canal...just have to walk out the door to the deck on 6.  

• Like 1

If you can book 6100, there is much more room than 6102. I have stayed in both cabins.  I do love them both. The area at the front on deck 6 is always open.

This is the view out of 6100IMG_1450.thumb.jpeg.bdf3ceaf360165f514476fd6b2f90fe4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLC1954 said:

If you can book 6100, there is much more room than 6102. I have stayed in both cabins.  I do love them both. The area at the front on deck 6 is always open.

This is the view out of 6100IMG_1450.thumb.jpeg.bdf3ceaf360165f514476fd6b2f90fe4.jpeg

That's amazing but already booked by another...6102 is the alternative.

Book 6102, I have stayed in both cabins multiple times, it’s the first cabins I check when I sail on those ships. It is a cozy cabin, the plus side is that it has two windows and you can step out the side door at any time.

The big down side is you hear the shows from the main theater every night until 11:00 pm. 

• Like 1

Had a single friend in 6120 on an Amsterdam World cruise. She didn’t really care for it, even with spilt beds was weird layout, not much closet space. She would never book it again and could not imagine for a couple. It is easy to get out to the deck six balcony. We have done it from a way aft deck six cabin on same cruise, great view and worth any walk.

1 minute ago, Durango Sandy said:

Had a single friend in 6120 on an Amsterdam World cruise. She didn’t really care for it, even with spilt beds was weird layout, not much closet space. She would never book it again and could not imagine for a couple. It is easy to get out to the deck six balcony. We have done it from a way aft deck six cabin on same cruise, great view and worth any walk.

I think they're discussing 6102, not 6120.