Formal nights

12 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Mariner will NOT be Formal Optional for this New Year's Eve.  😒  I guess they are keeping with Captain's Farewell instead of making the sensible change.  Also, this is one of the first times we have had New Year's Eve indoors instead of on the Pool Deck; at least for dancing.  630 people in Horizon Lounge should get interesting.

Splendor is formal optional on NYE, and there will be an additional one at Captain’s Farewell, for a total of three. I wish we had a Horizon Lounge, the Atrium will be a zoo ( it was already at the Abba party the other day).

20 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Splendor is formal optional on NYE, and there will be an additional one at Captain’s Farewell, for a total of three. I wish we had a Horizon Lounge, the Atrium will be a zoo ( it was already at the Abba party the other day).

Last year on Splendor we had countdown on pool deck.  Previous year on Splendor almost entire entertainment staff was still in quarantine, I don’t remember what we did. 

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Last year on Splendor we had countdown on pool deck.  Previous year on Splendor almost entire entertainment staff was still in quarantine, I don’t remember what we did. 

Unfortunately pool deck does not work in Chilean fjords unless we all wear our parkas.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2023 at 5:43 PM, the_dylaness said:

I just got my long-neglected evening wear out of the closet today and tried it on to make sure it still fit post-pandemic.  I don't care if others are country club casual or whatever but I will be glamming it up a couple of nights, one in a strapless gown with a train, a one-shoulder sequined dress with a thigh-high slit (that one's new, actually purchased just for my birthday!) and more.  Hubby just got his new tux fitted (old one wasn't looking so hot any more) and a custom made shirt.  Now all I need is a new pair of shoes!  (And maybe some birthday jewelry, to my husband, if you're reading this!)

I LOVE IT!

• Thanks 1

This year Mariner had "formal optional" on the Captain's welcome and will again for the Captain's farewell. Completely missed the opportunity to switch them to Christmas and New Year's Eve. But many people took matters in their own hands and dressed up for these gala dinner nights. It made the evenings special to see so many glamorous people.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 5:47 AM, lprp said:

On Mariner and have seen a complete variety of styles for ladies from glitter and sparkle to T-shirts and cardigans. The same for men, although have also seen 3 different men completely out of dress code - 2 in the dining room with sweaters/sweatshirts and jeans and cargo pants. Last night in the theatre a man was wearing shorts…….

Several possible reasons for this - one, lost luggage.  Two, willful disobedience.  🙂  Three, last night onboard.

The dress code is relaxed on the final night, but still - shorts?  C'mon, man, be better.

I'd say that the staff should enforce the dress code, but they may make exceptions for lost luggage as was the case for me on one cruise.  Took five days for my luggage to catch up with the ship.  Of course, I had time to buy some things in Copenhagen but I still tried to do the Pool lounge or room service most evenings until my bags got on board.

I've seen dress code violations and I try not to let it bother me, but it still does.  I guess it's a combination of getting old and being retired military.  I mean, really, it's a pretty simple and lax dress code to begin with - shouldn't be that hard to adhere to.

But some people...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Several possible reasons for this - one, lost luggage.  Two, willful disobedience.  🙂  Three, last night onboard.

The first and second do not apply - have seen all the “perpetrators” dressed within the code on other evenings…...

…….Including the gentleman who wore a short sleeve T-shirt in Compass Rose on NYE 🤷‍♀️

I agree with your statements about not being too bothered, but the dress code is very lax, surely it’s not beyond people to comply  🤔

• Like 1