First time on NCL and getting worried

masspector

24 minutes ago, masspector said:

Thanks.  Will do.

Teppenyaki is the place for dining reservations on Escape, Encore and Joy! There will be people there with ipads/laptops and they will help you schedule your specialty restaurant reservations. 

Across from Teppenyaki is the Social where entertainment is reserved. 

On 7/5/2023 at 8:13 AM, masspector said:

We have a Bermuda cruise on the Escape booked for October 29.  I need some of you NCL experts to help me with a few questions.

My understanding was that specialty dining reservations opened 90 days before sailing, i.e., July 29.  I checked today and most reservation times are gone.  We wanted to book Cagney's but only times left were 9pm or later.  Too late for us.  How likely is it that we can get Cagney's once onboard one day between 5pm and 7pm?

Watched a YT video from a recent Encore cruise in Alaska and the person had these observations:

NCL app was basically nonfunctional once he was onboard the ship.  He had the premium internet package and said that the app was spotty at best.  Because of this he was not able to book things like dining or entertainment reservations with the app once on the ship.  We have the FAS internet.  Do we have any hope of it working?  is this normal?

He observed that once onboard, a lot of passengers prebooked reservations were missing and had to be rebooked.  While I did go ahead and make specialty dining reservations now, I took a picture of the final screen as proof of my reservation.  Is this normal for NCL?

Finally, he did self-disembark and he said NCL heavily controlled access to deck 7.  Once he finally got there, deck 7 lobby was packed, and it took him 55 minutes just to get from deck 7 off the ship.  Several people in the comments said this was normal for NCL.  Is this true?  What is the best strategy for disembark?  We do not have a tight flight time, but also do not want to stand in line for an hour.

Thanks for your input.

Don't fret. You'll have a wonderful time!!!

Specialty dining opens 130 days prior to departure for suites / 120 days for general passengers. You have waited too long and the pre-cruise reservations are sold out. Not to worry, embark early and make reservations your priority when embarking. 

Entertainment: Go to the Theater Box Office, Deck 7, Forward, Starboard Theater Entrance. There you can book your comedy shows, main theater shows, and free dinner shows in the Supper Club (if you choose). There are entertainment menus at the door of the box office. Check the shows you want to see and the agent will book them for you. Note: There are shows that a reservable and shows that require no reservation (i.e., first come first serve). An example menu from May is shown below to give you an idea of what that looks like on the Escape.

IMG_4386.thumb.jpeg.6743c6b7acc49f74ba3c0542e937d78f.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

Dining: Then, once you have your entertainment schedule figured out (both reserved and non-reserved), head to Teppanyaki, Deck 6, Mid-ship to make your dining reservations. 

NCL App: We cruise both Royal and NCL multiple times a year. In terms of having all of the dining and entertainment changed from the prior cruise to your new cruise,,, it is hit and miss. I would strongly recommend that you go to the box office, get a menu above so you can easily see, day-by-day, all of the entertainment. Too many people think that staring at a phone is the solution to all problems... I like good 'ole paper for some thing. 

Missing Reservations: We sail NCL 4-5 times a year and have never had this happen. I think that your example was more of someone not knowing what they were doing and messing things up. 

Disembarkation: It is like any cruise line,,, everyone wants to get off the ship as soon as possible. You will have 4800 passengers all trying to do this. Either go very early (line up 1 hour before self walk off time) or have a leisurely breakfast and go closer to 8:30 or 9:00 (all ashore will be about 9:30). We always let the porters take our luggage to the baggage hall.

For our disembarkation in May, NCL used their facial recognition system for final disembarkation. This was linked to the Customs and Boarder Patrol system so that once you did the facial recognition, you were checked off the ship and cleared customs... no other stops off the ship. 

We were just on the Escape in May and had a wonderful cruise. If you want to see some photos of the ship, check out my live post below.  Enjoy!

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Don't fret. You'll have a wonderful time!!!

Specialty dining opens 130 days prior to departure for suites / 120 days for general passengers. You have waited too long and the pre-cruise reservations are sold out. Not to worry, embark early and make reservations your priority when embarking. 

Entertainment: Go to the Theater Box Office, Deck 7, Forward, Starboard Theater Entrance. There you can book your comedy shows, main theater shows, and free dinner shows in the Supper Club (if you choose). There are entertainment menus at the door of the box office. Check the shows you want to see and the agent will book them for you. Note: There are shows that a reservable and shows that require no reservation (i.e., first come first serve). An example menu from May is shown below to give you an idea of what that looks like on the Escape.

IMG_4386.thumb.jpeg.6743c6b7acc49f74ba3c0542e937d78f.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

Dining: Then, once you have your entertainment schedule figured out (both reserved and non-reserved), head to Teppanyaki, Deck 6, Mid-ship to make your dining reservations. 

NCL App: We cruise both Royal and NCL multiple times a year. In terms of having all of the dining and entertainment changed from the prior cruise to your new cruise,,, it is hit and miss. I would strongly recommend that you go to the box office, get a menu above so you can easily see, day-by-day, all of the entertainment. Too many people think that staring at a phone is the solution to all problems... I like good 'ole paper for some thing. 

Missing Reservations: We sail NCL 4-5 times a year and have never had this happen. I think that your example was more of someone not knowing what they were doing and messing things up. 

Disembarkation: It is like any cruise line,,, everyone wants to get off the ship as soon as possible. You will have 4800 passengers all trying to do this. Either go very early (line up 1 hour before self walk off time) or have a leisurely breakfast and go closer to 8:30 or 9:00 (all ashore will be about 9:30). We always let the porters take our luggage to the baggage hall.

For our disembarkation in May, NCL used their facial recognition system for final disembarkation. This was linked to the Customs and Boarder Patrol system so that once you did the facial recognition, you were checked off the ship and cleared customs... no other stops off the ship. 

We were just on the Escape in May and had a wonderful cruise. If you want to see some photos of the ship, check out my live post below.  Enjoy!

Thank you so much, very helpful

Question, with the main show starting at 7pm, what is the earliest that you can eat for main dining and specialty?  Thanks

Edited by masspector
add question

9 minutes ago, masspector said:

Question, with the main show starting at 7pm, what is the earliest that you can eat for main dining and specialty?  Thanks

I know with specialty it's 5:30 and it might be the same for mdr.

You definitely don't want to squeeze in a specialty meal. You just won't make it comfortably.

Even the mdr will make it a little close.

In the past we've gone to the mdr before an early show and just had apps and dessert. Much faster and we had plenty to eat. 

Bottom line is that the early shows make dining a little more complicated.

26 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I live in the NYC metro area and I mostly use Dial 7 Car Service to and from the airport.  I reserve them in advance.  They aren't cheapest but are very reliable if you don't want to be herded onto a bus.

Have used Dial 7 and Carmel car services.  Also used NYC taxi and used NCL shuttle. All were uneventful.  the only difference, Dial 7, Carmel and Taxi services are there, on demand.  NCL shuttle, more easily controlled by the cruise line, but you may have to wait a few minutes after boarding to leave for the airport.

None of the choices you can go wrong, and they’re all fairly close in price.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

I know with specialty it's 5:30 and it might be the same for mdr.

You definitely don't want to squeeze in a specialty meal. You just won't make it comfortably.

Even the mdr will make it a little close.

In the past we've gone to the mdr before an early show and just had apps and dessert. Much faster and we had plenty to eat. 

Bottom line is that the early shows make dining a little more complicated.

Thanks.  You make a good point.  I guess O sheehans is an option.  They are 24/7 correct? We could eat between 4 and 5.

HOLD ON A MINUTE!

I just realized with checking early I was 117 days out from our cruise, not 90.  Our cruise departs Oct 29. You guys say reservations open 120 days out.  So, in 3 days every decent time for Cagney's gone?  I hope that bodes well that they did not release many time slots.

2 hours ago, masspector said:

Nothing says you have to have ALL courses when you sit at the MDR.  You could sit for apps and entree, go to your show and walk back to an MDR to grab dessert after the show.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, masspector said:

HOLD ON A MINUTE!

I just realized with checking early I was 117 days out from our cruise, not 90.  Our cruise departs Oct 29. You guys say reservations open 120 days out.  So, in 3 days every decent time for Cagney's gone?  I hope that bodes well that they did not release many time slots.

Again, don't worry about it. I have sailed Escape, Encore and Joy in the last 5 years and I've always made my entertainment and dining reservations once I boarded. I've always gotten days and times that I'm good with and without any problems. 

And, I haven't had any priority like suite or Haven guests. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, masspector said:

HOLD ON A MINUTE!

As said earlier…there are plenty of reservations held back.  Haven, suite and Platinum and above can reserve at 125 days.

• Like 1

Thanks again to everyone.  As usual, CC comes through.  You guys are so helpful and helping me feel much better.  I am a little of an OCD planner.  I am sure everything will work out, using all of you guys' tips.

7 hours ago, masspector said:

Question, with the main show starting at 7pm, what is the earliest that you can eat for main dining and specialty?  

Strongly suggest eating after. If you are not in the theater by 6:45, the standby line starts entering.

That does not give you enough time to eat in either the MDR or specialty. Unless you have a really good waiter and just shove it in as quickly as possible.

Pretty sure the standard is eat first, then late show or show early, then eat.

10 hours ago, masspector said:

What has been your experience?  Do you think if we board early and go to Cagney's first thing that we can get a reservation one of the days between 5pm and 7pm?  Thanks

It likely depends entirely on the cruise.  If you don't care which day, you can probably get a reservation.

btw: I believe that you meant to say "board early and go to wherever they are making restaurant reservations."  That typically isn't Cagney's.

26 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

btw: I believe that you meant to say "board early and go to wherever they are making restaurant reservations."  That typically isn't Cagney's.

It's their first time on NCL, it's possible they thought you had to go to the specific restaurant to make the reservations.  A couple of us guided them in the right direction earlier in the thread...

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 7:20 AM, masspector said:

We have never had such an issue getting a taxi on debark day before.  Two ships came in the same day, but it was crazy.  Getting off ship, customs, and getting bags was not that bad.  But taxi wait was at least an hour if not longer.  Seemed very unorganized.

Next time, take the overhead pedestrian bridge to Elliott Ave and call an Uber.  Absolutely the easiest debarkation anywhere. No crowds.  No traffic.  No wait.  For our next AK cruise, I'm going to reverse the process for embarkation.  The trains can't even screw this up.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:53 PM, laudergayle said:

Lucky you!!  Seattle Port Authority will take your bags directly from the ship to the airport.  When you put your luggage outside your cabin at night, the next time you will see it is at baggage claim at your home airport.  It is free and such s wonderful program.  The cruise will give you the paperwork to complete and the luggage tags for your airline/flight.

It's one thing to expect the airline to screw up my luggage , but this adds another layer. At least it would be on the way home when I wouldn't need to $tress about it 

3 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

It's one thing to expect the airline to screw up my luggage , but this adds another layer. 

I'm with you. NCL gets our bags off the ship, we give them the airline at the airport. I'm not getting another third party involved.

Edited by RB9643

On 7/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, masspector said:

Taste or Savor will be open until 10 PM each night. Maybe you don’t like eating late, but otherwise, there’s always the option for a snack at the buffet or O’Sheehan’s and then dinner after the show.

I recently went to Bermuda from NY on the Norwegian Prima. Embarkation and disembarkation took forever. It took almost an hour to get off the ship. I got off around 9:00 so I don’t know if it’s better to get off earlier or later than that. 

The app worked fine for me but it’s a different ship so not sure about the Encore. 

We went to Cagney’s at 6:00 without a reservation (group of 4) and we were seated right away.  We never made any dinner reservations and the longest we waited was about 20 minutes for one of the main dining rooms (group of 10 for that night). 

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to follow up.  I was able to book one of our two dinner reservations when we wanted it and I was able to book Choir of Man when we wanted it.  So now we only have extra shows that take reservations and one more dinner reservation.  We have a 9:30 to 10 embarkation.  I am sure we will be able to book the extra shows and the one dinner reservation without an issue.  Thanks again to everyone for their help.

• Like 1

FWIW, my friend and I were just on the Encore out of Seattle last month. We flew in the day before and had 11:30am-12pm check-in slot. Had a leisurely morning, Uber dropped us curbside at 11:45am where a porter came over and took our bags as soon as we removed them from the vehicle. We stepped on the ship at 12:05pm and were sitting and enjoying a drink and watching NFL outside the Cavern Club by 12:15. Rooms were ready around 2pm, IIRC. 

No standing in lines, no waiting around the terminal, it was glorious!

• Like 3