London Hotels

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

If you're fit and mobile enough to take the Tube, then the obvious (to me) route from this hotel is to walk down the hill to Embankment Tube, take the westbound District Line to Barons Court, and cross-platform change (about 10 feet) to the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow. The primary disadvantage of this is that at Embankment you'd have to carry your bags down one level from the ticket hall to the westbound District Line platform - it's about the height of 1½ stories of a domestic house. Without a doubt, this is what I would do.

Thank you Globalizer,

Would this be the preferred route (in reverse) from Heathrow to Charing Cross Hotel with luggage? We can manage some stairs (or could walk or taxi from another station) but this route seems ideal. I thought we may have to exit at Westminster, but if it's manageable at Embankment (from District line) even better, Thank you,  Cheers! 

On 8/8/2024 at 4:49 PM, d9704011 said:

Recently, we stayed at Clermont Charing Cross and very much enjoyed it.  Book a room with breakfast.

Thank you d9704011 for your positive remarks on The Clermont Charing Cross Hotel. It's so difficult to choose a London Hotel -We hope to have a similar experience! 

1 hour ago, EuroDate20 said:

A change of plans...

After looking further and getting input from a family member, I booked with the Riu Plaza London Victoria.  The rate was less, the reviews were positive, and it's about a 20 minutes' walk to the King's Gallery where we'll start with tour from Royal Collection Trust.   

Victoria Station is close by.  I'm thinking we'll have to take a train to a station where we'll transfer to the Circle Line to get to Heathrow Express in Paddington to LHR.  Are there any other options that are less hassle or more efficient?  We'll be lugging one full sized suitcase and a backpack each.

What are your thoughts?  I apologize for my premature hotel selection.

I don't know this hotel at all--apparently it's pretty new. But if you are satisfied with the reviews and the price, it should be fine for your purposes.

For travel from Victoria to Heathrow, see Globaliser's directions in post #125. That's how I always travel between Central London and Heathrow when my starting point or destination is somewhere along the District Line.

I don't see any advantage in taking the Tube from Victoria to Paddington just in order to take the Heathrow Express from Paddington Station to Heathrow; indeed, there are several disadvantages to that route. If someone is starting from Victoria Station, the Victoria>Barons Court>Heathrow by District Line x Piccadilly Line makes eminent sense. You're on the Tube already, so why not complete the journey by Tube? It's easier & more direct (avoids faffing about at Paddington), cheaper, and will get you to Heathrow nearly as quickly.

A random trip shown on the TFL journey planner shows a total travel time of approximately 55 minutes from Victoria to Heathow by Tube alone, vs 52 minutes if you travel by Tube+HEX via Paddington. Timings will vary slightly depending on exactly when you start. Tube trains run every few minutes; Heathrow Express trains depart every 15 minutes. If you've just missed a HEX train, the Paddington to Heathrow trip would actually "cost" you up to an additional 15 minutes while you wait for the next departure. The HEX train ride itself may take only 15 minutes, but your tranfer time from Underground arrival to HEX departure could easily double the travel time.

In any case, not a significant difference in the scheme of things.

(Just my two cents worth. Your milage may vary, as they say.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

A change of plans...

After looking further and getting input from a family member, I booked with the Riu Plaza London Victoria.  The rate was less, the reviews were positive, and it's about a 20 minutes' walk to the King's Gallery where we'll start with tour from Royal Collection Trust.   

Victoria Station is close by.  I'm thinking we'll have to take a train to a station where we'll transfer to the Circle Line to get to Heathrow Express in Paddington to LHR.  Are there any other options that are less hassle or more efficient?  We'll be lugging one full sized suitcase and a backpack each.

What are your thoughts?  I apologize for my premature hotel selection.

My adult daughter stayed at that RIU 2 months ago and really enjoyed it!  She said the room was very comfortable and they have a very nice buffet breakfast (which is included at no extra charge).  My daughter and I are checking in Wednesday for 5 nights so I will know first-hand in a little over a week and can report back, if you like.  I won't be on the boards while on vacation.  

50 minutes ago, Vicki'sMom said:

My adult daughter stayed at that RIU 2 months ago and really enjoyed it!  She said the room was very comfortable and they have a very nice buffet breakfast (which is included at no extra charge).  My daughter and I are checking in Wednesday for 5 nights so I will know first-hand in a little over a week and can report back, if you like.  I won't be on the boards while on vacation.  

That would be fantastic!  Please also let us know what sights you saw and how you got around.  

Have fun and enjoy your vacation!  Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

After looking further and getting input from a family member, I booked with the Riu Plaza London Victoria. 

I hadn't heard of this new (2023) hotel, but looks good. For other locals struggling to place it, it's seems to be a refurbishment of the large commercial building that is the link from Vauxhall Bridge Road to Wilton Place, right by the side entrances to Victoria Station. There used to be a very useful Argos store on the ground floor, which I expect is no more 😀 Good location if you want to be in that part of town. 

5 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

it's about a 20 minutes' walk to the King's Gallery

It will only take that long if you get lost 😉 `About 10 minutes, I'd reckon. 

4 hours ago, sawasdee said:

Would this be the preferred route (in reverse) from Heathrow to Charing Cross Hotel with luggage? We can manage some stairs (or could walk or taxi from another station) but this route seems ideal. I thought we may have to exit at Westminster, but if it's manageable at Embankment (from District line) even better

Yes it is, if you can manage your luggage up the stairs. It is what I would do.

The stairs up from the eastbound District Line platform (which is where you would be if coming from Heathrow) are intended to be one-way going up. So immediately after a train arrives, the stairs are at their busiest. It's worth waiting 30 seconds or so (depending on how many people get off) until the batch of arriving passengers has gone up the stairs, and then you should feel no time pressure while you get your luggage up the stairs.

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Yes it is, if you can manage your luggage up the stairs. It is what I would do.

The stairs up from the eastbound District Line platform (which is where you would be if coming from Heathrow) are intended to be one-way going up. So immediately after a train arrives, the stairs are at their busiest. It's worth waiting 30 seconds or so (depending on how many people get off) until the batch of arriving passengers has gone up the stairs, and then you should feel no time pressure while you get your luggage up the stairs.

Thanks very much Globaliser - I appreciate this!  🙂 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

That would be fantastic!  Please also let us know what sights you saw and how you got around.  

Thanks!  I will post here upon my return 😄

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2024 at 1:40 PM, Post Captain said:

For travel from Victoria to Heathrow, see Globaliser's directions in post #125. That's how I always travel between Central London and Heathrow when my starting point or destination is somewhere along the District Line.

Didn't want to quote the entire post, but this is one of the most succinct discussions on this I've seen in a long time.

I confess to being a reformed HEX addict! But I was traveling for business and my transportation was reimbursable. I've now a major Elizabeth Line fan, but we've become familiar with and happy with stays in Mayfair near Park Lane and Grosvenor Square. Grosvenor Square in particular makes the Elizabeth Line a great option, and bonus points for not changing trains at Paddington.

BUT...

As you've so wonderfully laid out, there are plenty of areas in London where HEX  is not convenient, and getting on the Tube and not changing trains (or one cross platform change) can be priceless. And the wealth of knowledge here on where to make those changes is also priceless.

And sometimes giving consideration to planned transportation to and from Heathrow is almost as important as the actual hotel! Given two pretty much equal hotel choices, one with easy HEX, Elizabeth Line, Piccadilly Line access and one with a more complicated transfer, I'll pick the one with the easiest transportation option!

On 8/11/2024 at 9:04 AM, Globaliser said:

There's step-free access down to the westbound District Line. Take that to Barons Court. Change cross-platform to the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow.

It's worth noting that Wimbledon trains don't go to Barons Court, so it's easiest simply to avoid those. (The same with the occasional trains heading to Parsons Green and Kensington Olympia.) Also don't get on a Circle Line train by accident, as they don't go to Barons Court either. But the majority of trains will.

Thank you Globaliser for the detailed instructions!  Can this route be negotiated by a couple of senior ladies each with one full sized suitcase?  Are there any steps or escalators?  We're not used to commuting by train.

I just saw a YouTube video about taking the Victoria Line to Green Park where they transferred to the Piccadilly Line to get to LHR.  Is that another option or one that's not as good?

I'm very grateful for everyone's help 💙

2 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

I just saw a YouTube video about taking the Victoria Line to Green Park where they transferred to the Piccadilly Line to get to LHR.  Is that another option or one that's not as good?

It’s significantly worse, as generally is any route that involves a change at Green Park to or from the Piccadilly line. 

Just to illustrate what we mean by the cross-platform change at Barons Court, in this photo there’s a District line train on the left, which I am about to board, and a departing Piccadilly service on the right, which I just got off. it’s really that simple. And there’s a lovely bench to sit on under cover if you have to wait a few minutes for the next train 😀

[Eagle eyed viewers will spot this is the platform for trains into town, but it’s the same set up on the other platform for trains towards the airport] 

C3EB1B1C-F02C-40E9-BEB6-F8AC6F71355D.jpeg

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

Can this route be negotiated by a couple of senior ladies each with one full sized suitcase?  Are there any steps or escalators?

At Victoria, there is access by lifts (elevators) between street and platform, so there's no need for any steps or escalators. The same applies at Heathrow, and you now have the excellent pictorial illustration of Barons Court.

Cotswold, that's awesome for your picture!  The visual aid is so helpful!  Thank you!

Our return flight is American Airlines from Terminal 3.  Our departure is scheduled for 9:45 a.m.  Based on airline recommendations, we're supposed to arrive 3 hours ahead of scheduled departure at Heathrow by 6:45 a.m.  So that means maybe getting to Victoria Station by 5:30 a.m.?  Are the trains heavily congested with commuters at that time.  Should we aim to leave earlier?  Maybe a different, more convenient hotel?  My head is spinning!  🤯

17 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

Our return flight is American Airlines from Terminal 3.  Our departure is scheduled for 9:45 a.m.  Based on airline recommendations, we're supposed to arrive 3 hours ahead of scheduled departure at Heathrow by 6:45 a.m.  So that means maybe getting to Victoria Station by 5:30 a.m.?  Are the trains heavily congested with commuters at that time.

No, not at 5.30 am! The busiest period in the morning peak is probably about 7.30 am to 9.00 am, although much depends on where you are and which direction you're travelling in. And the morning peak traffic is really going in the opposite direction from you anyway.

In any case, personally I wouldn't rush to get to Heathrow 3 hours before departure unless I had a particular reason or penchant for hanging around in an airport departure lounge.

Globaliser, 

I dislike waiting in an airport, but they always say to get there 3 hours ahead of departure   What's a realistic time I should get to Victoria Station and how much time should I allow for getting through customs and security once at the airport?

I deeply appreciate your time and advice and I am grateful for the direction of others on this forum.  

6 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

Globaliser, 

I dislike waiting in an airport, but they always say to get there 3 hours ahead of departure   What's a realistic time I should get to Victoria Station and how much time should I allow for getting through customs and security once at the airport?

I deeply appreciate your time and advice and I am grateful for the direction of others on this forum.  

I know you did not ask me and Globaliser has far more experience at this than I do.

It will take about one hour to get from Victoria Station to LHR T3.  The airport and airline recommend arriving three hours prior to your international flight.

So, planning to be at Victoria Station at 0545 or so will likely be adequate and leave you feeling confident that you've left enough time. Trying to shave a few minutes off here and there and estimate/guess what will actually happen is, at least for you and me, a bit of a mug's game.  

Globaliser's experience wih all of this has left him/her in a different space than others who have never or seldom made this trip.  Do what you think is best for you and if you end up cooling your heels in the departure lounge that's better than trying to elbow your way through security and it's only one morning in your entire trip.

On 8/15/2024 at 5:21 AM, EuroDate20 said:

... they always say to get there 3 hours ahead of departure ...

Just remember that the three hour "recommendation" is there to maximise their profits, a huge proportion of which comes from your spend in the retail and food outlets whilst you kick your heels waiting for your flight.  You should also check the minimum check-in time (for AA at Heathrow that appears to be 60 minutes) and work back from that with a margin that you feel safe with. 

Last time in November, we had taken Princess post excursion and we thought we had plenty of time for our 5:00pm flight to Canada.

Long lines at the machine to put our boarding pass in a machine to get us into long security line then our bags had to be searched as we had left our IPads in the bags as we had done as the Canada’s security guard had told us to do there. Then the security person stood there talking with other security people instead of putting our IPads and other people items back on the conveyor belt to be rechecked.

At LHR, they do not post gate # until closer to boarding time. Find a seat where you can see the gate boards.

My gate #, did not seem to show up so had to find an Information booth to ask which gate.  Our gate was at the other end to where we were sitting in the middle sitting area by the gate board then a long walk, an elevator up then another long walk before we got to the gate.  It felt like we walked the length of LHR, on the sitting area with stores then upstairs the same distance.  Just glad we had the time.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  I don't mind getting there a little early to have peace of mind.  Next time I'll know to book a later flight and I'll have the experience of taking the Tube to fall back on.   

Safe and happy travels to you all!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 3:58 PM, EuroDate20 said:

I'm back from London!  Still catching up on sleep, but wanted to report back regarding the RIU Victoria.  😍  The hotel is lovely.  The rooms are small (as expected), but very adequate for 2 people.  The staff there were top-notch and the facilities new and very clean.  The morning buffet was incredible (and we're not even breakfast people!).

The location was perfect!  An easy walk to Victoria Station.  We walked to Buckingham Palace, St James's Park, Big Ben (Little Ben is 2 blocks from the hotel!).  An easy tube ride to West End theatre area, Jubilee Market, Picadilly Circus, Richmond.  We really didn't have time to explore enough!  

There are pubs and restaurants by the hotel - a 1 to 2 block walk.  

We ubered in from Heathrow and while we considered taking the tube back to the airport, we reserved an uber the day before and it was really effortless!  

So now having stayed at RIU myself, I can personally recommend it to you!  Safe travels!  

Vicki'sMom,  That's awesome and so reassuring!  Many thanks for your review of the Riu Plaza.  I'm glad you had a good time!  I leave in just a couple of days.  WooHoo!  May I ask, how much was the Uber ride to Heathrow from the Hotel and how long did the ride take?  Thank you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

Vicki'sMom,  That's awesome and so reassuring!  Many thanks for your review of the Riu Plaza.  I'm glad you had a good time!  I leave in just a couple of days.  WooHoo!  May I ask, how much was the Uber ride to Heathrow from the Hotel and how long did the ride take?  Thank you!

The Heathrow to RIU uber was approx 50 pounds.  The conversion rate to US dollars upped it quite a bit - I think to around $65.  We were heading into London during morning commute so the ride was slightly over 1 hour.  It was worth it for us though and we just veg'ed out in the backseat!  The room wasn't ready until around 3pm so RIU stored our luggage and we walked and had lunch at a place called Giraffe.  We had wanted to try Mildred's, but didn't get around to it.  Both restaurants are across the street and down about a block from RIU.  

Have a safe journey.  Enjoy London and your cruise!  

1 hour ago, Vicki'sMom said:

The Heathrow to RIU uber was approx 50 pounds.  The conversion rate to US dollars upped it quite a bit - I think to around $65.  We were heading into London during morning commute so the ride was slightly over 1 hour.  It was worth it for us though and we just veg'ed out in the backseat!  The room wasn't ready until around 3pm so RIU stored our luggage and we walked and had lunch at a place called Giraffe.  We had wanted to try Mildred's, but didn't get around to it.  Both restaurants are across the street and down about a block from RIU.  

Have a safe journey.  Enjoy London and your cruise!  

The wait for a hotel room after a long flight can seem to take forever 😊,

Did you say you took Uber back to the airport?  How long did that take and at what time of day?  Same fare?

I'm grateful for your time!  Thank you kindly! 

39 minutes ago, EuroDate20 said:

The wait for a hotel room after a long flight can seem to take forever 😊,

Did you say you took Uber back to the airport?  How long did that take and at what time of day?  Same fare?

I'm grateful for your time!  Thank you kindly! 

Yes! We ubered back to Heathrow, about 7:45am on Monday morning.  All the traffic was heading into London as we were heading out!  The ride was 38 minutes; cost would have been less - but I upgraded to a more luxurious ride, which cost a bit more!  I reserved that ride several days prior to departure.

I am currently sorting through all my charges and I am a bit shell-shocked that the conversion rate from pounds to dollars is approximately 29%!  I spent a lot more than I thought I did!  🤣