Excursions in Roatan

Not sure about excursions, but when we went to Roatan last year, I read the "port of call" forums to find the best beaches. I kept reading that "Infinity Bay" was the best, so we tried to go there. All the taxi drivers were quoting $30/person for a round trip ride there, but we found one to do it for $25/person. 

The whole drive, the taxi driver kept trying to convince us that "Paradise Beach" was better. I definitely got the sense that he receives some kind of kick back for taking people to paradise beach, and it was annoying.

However, when we got to Infinity Bay, the front desk tried to charge us $40/person to get in, even though they list the price as $30/person. They said it was because we didn't make a reservation, even though nothing we read online said we had to do that. I felt like they were shaking me down for money, and since Paradise Beach was literally right next door, and since the resort didn't really look like anything special, we relented and went to Paradise Beach. 

Paradise Beach and Infinity Bay are basically the same place. They're the same beach anyway. But one is a resort and the other is just some lounge chairs that are stacked on top of eachother in rows so tight you can't even walk though them. They were hard plastic, no cushions, and in order to get to your chair, you had to squeeze past whoever was in the chairs next to you and you'd get so close you'd sometimes brush skin. It was gross. And the excursion hawkers and trinket hawkers come by every minute and a half to try and sell you something. It cost $20/person for a chair. I'm a pretty easy going person, so it was tolerable enough to stay, though I would never go back, and I wouldn't recommend it.

The good part about the day was that we signed up for a snorkel tour with one of the annoying hawker guys.  The snorkeling was AAAAmazing! The second best snorkeling we've done in 17+ trips to the Caribbean, falling only behind Belize, which still holds my #1 spot. Tons of colorful fish, clear blue water, and warm even in November. 

This is all to say, if you're looking at a beach excursion with the cruiseline and it costs equal to or less than $55/person, then you may as well try it, but otherwise you can get yourself to a beach on your own. And if you're looking to do any snorkeling, Honduras is great. If there's one that takes you snorkeling in the vicinity of Paradise Beach or Infinity Bay, it's probably going to be a good snorkeling tour, but don't go to the actual beach unless there's some other resort or beach bar that rents loungers.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

When we were there surf wasn't bad, although you couldn't see your feet in knee deep water.  Food pretty good.  You do get chairs and umbrellas free, although no shade in that area. Pretty similar to beach clubs in the Eastern Caribbean.

On the whole we preferred going to West End (Tabyana) because you can snorkel there and lots more shade.  We got this place on a sale for around $35pp so ok just for transportation and beach access.  Don't think it is worth more than that.