Semi-live review - Reflection 10 nights Malta and Greek Islands - 17 July 2023

Les43

7 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

That risotto looked amazing! Did it taste as good? 😋

I prefer the spacing but I’ll take whatever is easiest for you…just grateful that you’re doing this while on your holiday…thank you so much!

It was superb! I have given up on trying to work out how to space the photos. Life is too short! 😂😂😂

• Like 4

Morning all - it’s Saturday morning in sunny Rome. Just hearing on another forum of folks who are affected by the Air Traffic control strikes in Italy this weekend. Seems that lots of flights are cancelled and some folks are struggling to rebook to make it to Rome. Really hope it all works out - what a nightmare! 

Day 4 in Rome

We awoke this morning to another glorious, hot day. After breakfast on the terrace ( you know the drill!), we decided to wander to the Colosseum and Forum area. It was only a 20 minute walk, probably just as well as by 11am it was already very hot.  The area was very, very busy with lots of tours and the inevitable guys trying to sell tickets to ‘skip the queue’. We wandered round the Colosseum itself and noticed, very long lines of people waiting to go inside, very little shade and none of the usual fake Roman centurions………what I hear you say? Apparently the Rome authorities banned them in 2019 so you can no longer have your photo taken with a guy in a short skirt with a plastic sword! It’s clear that there is a lot of construction work going on in the area and we rather suspect they will be upgrading the tourist spots - it will be a pity if that makes it more like a theme park! We have visited this area a few times before so we opted not to buy tickets to go inside. To be honest I was relieved as the temperatures were very high and there wasn’t much shade. I was also surprised at just how busy it was. It was very very crowded. 

After a coffee and water stop, we wandered along past the Forum, navigating the street sellers trying to flog fans, hats, bangles and cold water. We walked back to Piazza Navone and found a new cafe to have some Gelato, an ice cold beer and of course some water.  We also received an email from Celebrity at this time asking us to complete the health questionnaire - exciting! We stayed in the cafe until around 3pm and then went for a wander around some of the side streets. We had hoped it would have started to cool but alas that was not to be. 

We began to feel a little hungry so decided to stop for a meal around 5pm. We visited That’s Amore which is not too far from where we are staying. We enjoyed some Bruschetta and a Pizza Cinque Terre (Mozzarella, Pesto and cherry tomatoes) along with some Rose wine (and water of course!) we thought the ice bucket for the wine was unusual! It was a nice simple meal and exactly what we needed. It’s nice to be back now in our suite with the air conditioning! 

All in all a lovely,relaxing day and only one more left in Rome. We are planning quite a lazy day tomorrow along with the fun of repacking and getting ready for Reflection! 🥳🥳.

Hoping everyone navigating the stresses of the travel issues makes it to Rome in time too. 

IMG_1374.jpeg

IMG_1375.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1382.jpeg

• Like 10

Rome - Day 5

Today has been incredibly hot at 37 C. It’s been impossible to cool off around the city and apparently the temperatures are going to rise even further - gulp! We had a reasonably easy day - a wander via the Spanish steps to Piazza del Popolo where we enjoyed morning coffee and a snack (gelato) and watched the world go by. We then ventured via the riverside to Ponte Saint Angelo and we ventured to the river side for a cool drink. From there a hot stroll to Piazza Navone for more hydration and then to our favourite restaurant for a late afternoon meal. I had Caprese and Spaghetti Carbonara. Have included a photo of the Caprese but forgot to take a photo of the pasta before I started to,eat - oops

We decided to venture back to our accommodation to the air con to pack early evening. By that time I was almost ready to expire with the heat. So here we are, relaxing and the bags almost packed apart from the morning essentials and the all-important luggage tags are on. 

We have Rome Cabs collecting us just after 9am tomorrow. Our arrival time at the port is 11am but we were advised to allow extra time for traffic in the morning. I have a feeling we will be a little early 🙄

We have loved Rome and would certainly recommend our accommodation. I think the temperatures are now getting to be too hot for us especially when we are out and about sight seeing all day. 

We are now looking forward to embarkation tomorrow and I will report back once we are onboard and settled. 🛳️🎉😎🥵🥳🍷

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1387.jpeg

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1393.jpeg

• Like 9

I'm loving the photos of Rome.  Have a great time.  I can't wait to come along via your thread.  😃

I was wondering if when you get on the ship, if you could inquire about the bourbons on the ship.  I am hoping there may be some different ones besides what is listed on the premium beverage package.

• Like 1

A brief report of embarkation day thus far. We were collected at our hotel in Rome at 9am - the driver was there early so all good. We had reserved Rome Cabs in advance. They were very efficient and we arrived at Civitavecchia around 10.10am. Our arrival time was supposed to be 11am but no issue to be here a bit earlier. Luggage drop off was a bit chaotic but we quickly dropped off our main bags and made our way inside to check in. We were very glad of the check in inside ! We were very quick through security and shown to the Retreat check in area. It’s a separate are to the main check in with drinks and snacks available. We waited there around 20mins and then got the all clear to board the ship. We were onboard before 11am. 

Once onboard we found our stateroom - really pleased with our Celebrity Suite. Have added some photos. The lounge area and balcony are very spacious. We met our butler briefly and she explained everything we could expect. We then popped by our Muster station. When we got on board we discovered that our Seapasses were marked with classic drinks and a quick visit to Michael’s Club had the drinks package and Wi-Fi all sorted. Fantastic service. Somewhere along the line we had a drink at the Sunset bar and another in Michael’s and thankfully it was time to go to lunch in Luminae. 

Very nice lunch - I had the Ceviche and the Lobster roll and my DH had the pea soup and the Luminae Burger. After lunch we checked back to see if the luggage had arrived but it hadn’t yet appeared. We did a quick tour up to the Mast bar and back to our room where the luggage had arrived. We are now just unpacking and getting ready for Sailaway at 5pm. 

More anon………..

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1403.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

• Like 4

Oooo that lovely oversized comfy lounger on the balcony! I loved that so much, I am not sure it is still on other ships now that they have been 'revolutionised' (ruined) When will Celebrity realise COMFORT is everything for a holiday, not 'style'  Your cabin looks lovely, and am pleased that your embarkation went well, looks very civilised! Great food photos too. Your report is really good am enjoying following! 

• Like 1

We're in a suite for the 9-30 & 10-09 sailings.  Would you be kind enough to advise of the toiletries in the bathroom so I can decide what to bring from home since this will be our first Celebrity post-covid sailing?  Are there bars of soap or pump soap at the sink, etc?  Thank you and enjoy your sailing! 

Edited by shirazcruiser

4 hours ago, ladylemondrop said:

Oooo that lovely oversized comfy lounger on the balcony! I loved that so much, I am not sure it is still on other ships now that they have been 'revolutionised' (ruined) When will Celebrity realise COMFORT is everything for a holiday, not 'style'  Your cabin looks lovely, and am pleased that your embarkation went well, looks very civilised! Great food photos too. Your report is really good am enjoying following! 

I ditto that the oversized comfy lounger on the balcony is amazingly relaxing! We had a Celebrity Suite on Reflection for a Mediterranean cruise and it is one of our favorite Celebrity ships. Am interested in your visit to Malta as it will be one of the ports on our December Celebrity cruise. Enjoy! 

23 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

Loving your posts , what is the restaurant in Piazza Navonna called ? We are heading to Rome and last time had a few terrible meals. Enjoy your cruise !

It was Hosteria Pantheon. Sit inside as it has air con! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

We're in a suite for the 9-30 & 10-09 sailings.  Would you be kind enough to advise of the toiletries in the bathroom so I can decide what to bring from home since this will be our first Celebrity post-covid sailing?  Are there bars of soap or pump soap at the sink, etc?  Thank you and enjoy your sailing! 

In our suite they are ‘Bigelow’ toiletries. Shampoo, conditioner and body wash along with soap at sink and body lotion. 

• Thanks 1

We are on board too.

No dramas for us but people on a flight from Manchester never got their luggage. Airport staff on a go slow. We waited ages for ours so didn’t get on board until 4.30 pm.

Those affected can’t get their luggage until day 4 when we dock in Athens. They then have to make their own way to the airport to claim it in person. Celebrity have said it not their problem!

Sail away was different. Sitting in the Sunset bar we were showered in what we thought was rain. The black spots on our clothes confirmed it was soot!

Ship is no different from 5 years ago and NO vibration whatsoever even when travelling at 16.9 knots.