New streaming method on Wonder - no cables required.

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

No you don’t. You have to be logged into a website on the internet on your phone in order to stream. All the TV does is give you a code that you key in to the website to tell your phone which TV to connect to. 

That's the way streaming works.  That 6-digit code is entered into your phone or PC when that device is logged onto the streaming service.  It doesn't mean you are casting.

2 hours ago, steveru621 said:

That's the way streaming works.  That 6-digit code is entered into your phone or PC when that device is logged onto the streaming service.  It doesn't mean you are casting.

Casting by definition is the process of transmitting content from a device that has the capability to display content to a dumb display that lacks that capability. You can call it what you want, but it is the very clearest example of casting there is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just an update on the new streaming system: After a week on board and attempting to use the feature every day, there is a flaw in the implementation (well maybe not a flaw, but certainly an annoyance). After an hour of streaming, the Chrome cast link abruptly shuts down and in order to continue streaming you have to close whatever you were watching completely, exit the streaming function on the TV, log back in to the tv.RCCL.com website, get a new 4 digit code, and relaunch everything.

We are going down to the IT desk after turnaround to try to get an explanation as to why this is consistently happening. 

BTW, for those who posit that the internet feed crashed, whatever we were streaming was still streaming on the iPad after their system shut us off.

Edited by orville99
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

After a week on board

Plan on sharing any random thoughts (unrelated to streaming)?

We were just on Wonder on last month so I don't have any specific questions but always like to hear about others' experiences. Also have 4 more Wonder cruises booked but next one isn't for a while.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Just an update on the new streaming system: After a week on board and attempting to use the feature every day, there is a flaw in the implementation (well maybe not a flaw, but certainly an annoyance). After an hour of streaming, the Chrome cast link abruptly shuts down and in order to continue streaming you have to close whatever you were watching completely, exit the streaming function on the TV, log back in to the tv.RCCL.com website, get a new 4 digit code, and relaunch everything.

We are going down to the IT desk after turnaround to try to get an explanation as to why this is consistently happening. 

BTW, for those who posit that the internet feed crashed, whatever we were streaming was still streaming on the iPad after their system shut us off.

Didn’t have this issue. We watched a couple movies and the stream never shut down. We did have an issue a couple times where it wouldn’t accept the 4 digit code. 

15 minutes ago, Newcruiser215 said:

Didn’t have this issue. We watched a couple movies and the stream never shut down. We did have an issue a couple times where it wouldn’t accept the 4 digit code. 

IT is currently doing a debugging routine to try to figure out why it is happening. Hopefully we will get a resolution soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Plan on sharing any random thoughts (unrelated to streaming)?

We were just on Wonder on last month so I don't have any specific questions but always like to hear about others' experiences. Also have 4 more Wonder cruises booked but next one isn't for a while.

A few things come to mind: they seem to be getting theie act together. Marked improvement overall compared to January and April. Food selection in the WJ hasn’t changed much, but at least they have figured out how to keep it at a proper temperature. Chops was great as usual. Best place for dinner remains the Solarium Bistro. Did not set foot in the MDR all week. Our eldest son and his wife were on board and they ate there once and said they would not go back.

A lot of pot vaping in public areas including the pool deck, the running track, and up on deck 16. Security will not confront anyone and just looks the other way. Unfortunate because it will eventually trash RCLs reputation as a family friendly cruise line.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Best place for dinner remains the Solarium Bistro.

If my wife wasn't so picky I'd love to give it another try. She humored me a while ago (knowing she wouldn't like it) and I liked it, didn't love it, but there was some unique stuff. We went early so we could go to the WJ after, maybe she'll be willing to do that again.

Any recommendations?

49 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Any recommendations

Avoid the pre plated entrees and go with the unplated components. The lamb tagine was excellent. The branding was also quite good. I could make a meal out of just the appetizers, and would take two servings of the calamari and sauce it with the marinara sauce.

One other note: it seems like they have mitigated the soot problem on the suite sun deck. We were up there every day and saw no evidence of soot whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Avoid the pre plated entrees and go with the unplated components. The lamb tagine was excellent. The branding was also quite good. I could make a meal out of just the appetizers, and would take two servings of the calamari and sauce it with the marinara sauce.

One other note: it seems like they have mitigated the soot problem on the suite sun deck. We were up there every day and saw no evidence of soot whatsoever.

Thanks. I could probably just eat tons of calamari, try some dessert, and move on. I almost did that with breaded shrimp in the SL one night. I wasn't in love with the CK menu that night and the shrimp were hot and crispy so I just kept eating them during happy hour before we sat down.

I didn't mention the soot to anyone but my wife before we boarded with the extended family. We had no issues with it either so I eventually told them... and showed them that's why a lot of the seat cushions had little stains. Good to hear, although I won't be anywhere near the suite neighborhood on my future cruises. Back to the frugal life for us.

Enjoy week 2!