Snorkeling with kids private excursion

kristikae

We would like to do a private snorkel excursion.  I will have a 5 and 7 year old with me and the cruiseline snorkel excursions don't allow the 5 year old to go.  What private companies do you recommend?  I used to use Eagle Ray Divers but I've emailed them twice with no response so I don't feel confident using them.

You may be better off snorkeling from shore at Sky Reef or Money Bar.

Snorkel excursions are mostly off shore and should or do require some ability to swim in deep water.

But look @mitsugirly reviews in her signature line. Her youngest snorkeled all over when around the age of your children and her family has had some good experiences with private companies in Cozumel.

7 hours ago, kristikae said:

We would like to do a private snorkel excursion.  I will have a 5 and 7 year old with me and the cruiseline snorkel excursions don't allow the 5 year old to go.  What private companies do you recommend?  I used to use Eagle Ray Divers but I've emailed them twice with no response so I don't feel confident using them.

I would suggest Chankanaab Park.  There is great snorkeling with underwater statuary, sunken boats and reef formations to see there & are accessible from land.  There would be plenty for the family to do there for the day.  Very close to port also. 

17 minutes ago, SheSailsFL said:

I would suggest Chankanaab Park.  There is great snorkeling with underwater statuary, sunken boats and reef formations to see there & are accessible from land.  There would be plenty for the family to do there for the day.  Very close to port also. 

I thought about that but recent reviews are terrible. They say the food and drinks are terrible, virtually no beach etc.

29 minutes ago, kristikae said:

I thought about that but recent reviews are terrible. They say the food and drinks are terrible, virtually no beach etc.

I agree with PP lots to do at Chankanaab for kids of that age. Most snorkeling in Cozumel is drift snorkeling from shore or boat. From a boat that would be in deep ocean water. How experienced is your 5 year old at swimming and how long would they want to do it?

The beach at Chankanaab is mostly man-made sandy area although there is a small beach cove with direct access. You will not get a sandy beach at somewhere that has good snorkeling. 

I think the poor food that is discussed is mainly from the buffet, which as always is subjective. It is fine but nothing special. We use the roving waiters and beach service.

Agree check out locations and reviews from @mitsugirly under Cozumel tab.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kristikae said:

Not sure about food because I have never eaten there.  Valid concern is that is a priority for you.  
But you will generally find where there is a “good beach”, it is not good at all for snorkeling since there is nothing to see but a white sandy bottom.  Just depends on  your preferences. 
Happy planning!

• Like 1

My question is how experienced is your 5 & 7 year old at snorkeling? Or even being out in the ocean (away from shore)? Although we started snorkeling with our daughter (now 15) when she was 3 years old (when she learned to swim by herself) and we would have her on our back when she would get tired (but she wore a puddle jumper) and she was pretty experienced in snorkeling by the age of your children (which isn't quite the norm for most kids that age). Will your children be able to snorkel out in the ocean if they take a tour?

Cozumel is a little different from most ports (and we've been everywhere and snorkel everywhere) because the water is a little more rapid out away from shore. That's why most people do drift snorkeling or diving there. We've done both and the water can get a little tricky at times with it and carry you off easily.

If you want that snorkeling in the ocean excursion, I would highly recommend using Cozumel Cruise Excursions. Net. They showed us a great time and we went to Palancar, Columbia & El Cielo Sandbar on our excursion. One other thing to mention...when snorkeling out in the ocean from a boat, the coral and most fish will be way down below, making it a little harder to see. (I prefer being up close to explore which is why we usually don't like snorkeling from a boat). We take tons of pictures when we snorkel so diving down to see was a little harder. HERE is my review from that day if you are interested.

If you decide to do a shore snorkel, I recommend Chankanaab as well since you walk right into the water and can see things. The park is beautiful and plenty to see and do there with your admission. We took our daughter (when she was 3) there to snorkel and we just went again in April. You can find my reviews HERE and HERE and our most recent review HERE. There's plenty of snorkeling pictures that might help you decide. We've never found the food to be bad, but we've always ordered off the menu while on the beach (menu's are in my review with pricing on the last review). 

I would also recommend Sky Reef for snorkeling. Shallow water and a big area to explore along with beautiful sea fans of every color there. Water is fairly calm and easy for beginners. The beach is (of course) man made and much smaller than Chankanaab but the snorkeling made up for it. HERE is my review with pictures on it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a tour company I’ve used many times. Their snorkel boat is also a glass bottom boat so if your little ones get tired, they can still see things that way. I actually stayed on the boat while my daughter snorkeled and had a lovely time. 

the co is Safe Tours Cozumel.  Two or possibly three of the people on our excursion couldn’t swim. Like, literally didn’t know how! I couldn’t imagine trying to snorkel if you couldn’t swim but the team was incredible with them. They wore float vests and the one staff took a life ring that had a ring around the edges made of metal. They all kept a hand on that and he basically towed them around. Granted, they couldn’t go deep (my daughter was going WAY down) but they all seemed to have a fantastic time.