TV question for anyone who has been on the Eclipse lately

CruisinShips

Specifically we are going to be in a CS and I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of, or has tried to connect a firestick to either of the TVs?  I know the ship is older, and it's historically been nearly impossible to get to the back (if there even is an HDMI port) on some of these older ships.  I figured I'd take a shot and see if any of knowledgeable folks here might have any insights.

Thanks! 

Edited by CruisinShips
  • Like 1

I've done it.    Like you said the position of the HDMI port is the most difficult part.   Last time I asked my Butler and he had someone come up from IT and attach the Firestick.

You access the port selection with the in-room remote  -

They have also implemented a Mirroring option from the Main Screen -  very strait forward and easy to use.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

You make it seem so easy!  Thank you.  I assume it counts as a device for WIFI use, right?

Yes that is correct.    Also Firestick is easy to slip in but the ability to log onto the Celebrity WiFi is problematic.     You often need to bring a mini-router or create a mini hotspot on you pc.   Roku on the other hand has a built in method to log onto a captive portal but lacks the capability of VPN that Firestick has as an app.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes that is correct.    Also Firestick is easy to slip in but the ability to log onto the Celebrity WiFi is problematic.     You often need to bring a mini-router or create a mini hotspot on you pc.   Roku on the other hand has a built in method to log onto a captive portal but lacks the capability of VPN that Firestick has as an app.

Can a Iphone or Ipad be connected using Apple lighting hmdi connector?

3 hours ago, weregoingcruising said:

Can a Iphone or Ipad be connected using Apple lighting hmdi connector?

Yes.... Casting is easier but is based on Android and not real apple friendly.

Good idea to buy a cable on Amazon and try on you home TV if it doesn't work you can return it within a month.   

Edited by Jim_Iain

47 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes.... Casting is easier but is based on Android and not real apple friendly.

Good idea to buy a cable on Amazon and try on you home TV if it doesn't work you can return it within a month.   

The Apple one works fine but the generic ones don't. I'm not familar with the word casting pertaining  to this subject. Thank You for the info

1 hour ago, weregoingcruising said:

The Apple one works fine but the generic ones don't. I'm not familar with the word casting pertaining  to this subject. Thank You for the info

Casting is the wireless transmission from you phone.    On the Celebrity TV's they have a menu item called Streaming Services.    You click it and it pulls up a menu screen with instructions.

IMG_6172.thumb.jpeg.7b31cc0ace28dce65317b2d656b56936.jpeg

IMG_2784.thumb.jpeg.e2bdbc137ccc0fe33db2755cf5b02314.jpeg

image.thumb.png.50a79a50a1bf8b51abd3b1266dc10145.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

Can you just take a HDMI cable and connect between the TV and your laptop and switch to that source and play whatever you have saved on your laptop such as movies, or netflix, etc?

This is assuming you have premium wifi since basic won't even let you read emails. 

17 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Can you just take a HDMI cable and connect between the TV and your laptop and switch to that source and play whatever you have saved on your laptop such as movies, or netflix, etc?

This is assuming you have premium wifi since basic won't even let you read emails. 

Yes that is also possible.    Always advise trying at home and get comfortable with it. 

The HDMI ports are really easy to reach in SS down.   On CS and above the TV's are mounted on the wall and the port is about 8" from the edge and hard to reach

I bring along a 90% adapter to make it easier to connect and disconnect. 

image.thumb.png.f7aaa37036754695db5193b727c9e0bf.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbie202020 said:

I read that Eclipse on Alaska route has very poor internet connection even with premium wifi. Has that been your experience?

Definitely has not been my experience.  I should expand that experience may be linked to expectation.    If one is expecting like internet speeds at home they will be disappointed.   I've not been to Alaska with Starlink but had very good connectivity in Greenland and Iceland.

Recently on our Caribbean, TransAtlantic and European cruise I posted daily speed reports and they seem consistent with @Ken the cruiser test between Sydney to Vancouver.   Celebrity has capped the speeds of both Premium and Regular wifi -  Premium seems capped at 5-6 meg Download    and 2.5 - 3 Upload.

I was able to stream both YouTubeTV as well as Netflix for the complete 6 weeks and only had one dead spot when they were shifting satellites between North America and the European Satellites.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newbie202020 said:

I read that Eclipse on Alaska route has very poor internet connection even with premium wifi. Has that been your experience?

It has been my experience over multiple Alaska sailings, including one last summer with premium internet, that at times Alaska reception can be poor. I don’t think they had Starlink back then. But even in port, reception could be pretty bad.

• Thanks 1