Update : Cunard Dance Hosts

Bell Boy

This talk about demographics and so future markets all seems so premature.

Yes it's sad dancers will possibly suffer, but mainly sad for the dancers who won't have the benefit of hosts or the professionals.

I wouldn't put a percentage on it, but it won't be the majority who will suffer. Using this and the now old 'evening attire ain't what it used to be' chestnut to excoriate the company in its supposed  downward spiral is tedious because no one can see foresee what will actually happen  until 'we' see for ourselves what has happened..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope Cunard keeps the dance hosts.  That's the major reason I sail Cunard.  I did Celebrity cruises before. They have suites and cabins equivalent to the grill suites with their own restaurants and amenities and the staff attends to the small groups above and beyond their duty; and it's fare is much cheaper than Cunard too.  Of course I miss Cunard's  gala nights, but for a 7 to 10 day cruise I don't mind Celebrity. For a longer cruise  we do need the dance hosts , or what do we do in the evening after the shows.  How do we get the message to Cunard?

• Like 2

Mum booked yesterday to go on Queen Victoria in October I was pleased to tell her that there would be dance hosts onboard as there was none last onboard last year when she also had a broken toe 

So when I started reading this post I thought oh no what a shame that there would be no dance hosts for her to have a dance with 

Does anyone no the verdict will there be hosts in October ? thanks

Hello.  Have been on QM2 since July 21.   There were only two dance hosts during the crossing, a husband and wife team.  From Southampton onward there are   two new dance hosts apparently a husband and wife team.  Its  quite a shame as there does appear to be number of passengers who would like to dance but with only two hosts many are left high and dry.  I do not know what t went into Cunard's  thinking.  Not smart.  The ship returns to Southampton on 8/11     for the beginning of the ballet crossing.  I wil be happy to report the latest.  

Deck Chair.

• Like 1

Deck Chair, I would be interested to hear from you directly from the ship as things change - I don't know if Cunard has relented on the new contracts for the dance professionals that led to their resignations, but perhaps they have now re-negotiated with more reasonable terms for their duties, but of course the pro dancers won't be back immediately and only after they finish any contracts elsewhere, once they left, before they return to the ships under an new acceptable set of terms.  Equally the expected changes to the dance hosts returning will hopefully begin in a few more weeks once suitable numbers have been recruited, and have decided and agreed on which dates to go aboard.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typos
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, Dancer Bob said:

Cunard has ordered some American hosts for some QM2 and QE sailings. I'm not plugged into the UK rumour mill and have no idea about QV and UK hosts.

Would you know which sailings and how many American dance hosts?

Thanks!

I called Cunard customer service today and found out that the CEO and VIPs (some or all?) are new.

So, it looks like the lack of dance hosts and non-danceble orchestra music comes from the new top management.

I asked when I could cancel my sailing if the real dance hosts program and proper orchestra does not return.

I gave my booking number, and the comment with my complaint was sent to the appropriate department.

The more complaints Cunard gets, the better are the chances to get back the dance hosts and orchestra with dance music.

Last March I was on Celebrity. A couple of days before the sailing I went on Celebrity App and found out which house band was booked for my cruise. I went on-line to check out this band which turned out to be maybe ok for karaoke (and I am being kind) but not for dancing.

I sent an email to the Celebrity Guest Department stating that this band is not good for dancing.

I do not know if it was my email, or post-cruise complaints, or both, but this band was replaced at the last minute. We got a wonderful band and a singer and had a great ballroom dance cruise!

On the last day I asked the band if they got their contract at the last minute, and they did!

Maybe calling Customer Service and asking to send our complaint comments about a lack of dance hosts and danceble music would prompt the new top management to bring back ballroom dancing to the pre-pandemic level.

What do you think? Can we do it?

• Like 2

It does seem that there are already some changes occurring that 'should' see the return of both the ballroom dance professionals as well as dance hosts. However, even if the new managers have 'been made more aware' of the issues with the ballroom dancing, it will inevitably take time to repair the damage that has occurred to the attempts to change the contracts for not only the professional couple, but also the dance hosts. They may be less confident that things will remain attractive for them into the future.  Also people will have made alternative arrangements that they will likely now have to be satisfied elsewhere before they can return to Cunard contracts, and that will take time before ongoing stable contracts will see them back on the ships on a continuing basis. 

As for the quality of the musicians in the Queens Room orchestra, it will be interesting to see whether the recruiting staff at Cunard are able to attract the top musicians, as used to be the case, or not, as we go through the rest of this year and into next year. It would certainly be very useful to know whether the new managers are making the effort to do this, or not. But as you say the more feedback Cunard gets, the more likely they will be responding since they would not wish to lose loyal customers. 

With current economic conditions in many countries, it may get less easy to keep booking levels high for cruises, even though many passengers have dumped the idea of flying due to the horrendous service at airports and many cancelled flights, and have come across to cruises for holidays. Economics is looking more problematic into the future, and travel companies will likely need to work harder to keep customers coming back.

• Like 1

My friend who has retired from being a dance host years ago received the email from Compass Speakers, US based Co. It was emailed just last week.

Here it is:

Hi Gentleman Hosts:

I hope this email finds you well!

We are looking for fully vaccinated/boosted Gentleman Hosts for the 2024 Cunard cruises below. 

Please note that for the last voyage 22SEP23-05NOV23 Cunard would like 2x (my note: only two dance hosts) for entire voyage (it was a misprint - should be 22SEP24-05NOV24):

1. 22-Sep-24 to 18-Oct-23 Q430 Cunard QE, 25 days, San Fran to Sydney

2. 18-Oct-24 to 5-Nov-24 #Q431 Cunard QE, 18 days, Sydney to Fremantle.

There are two tables in that email - one for QM2 where hosts are needed from 11-Jan-24 to 28-Apr-24, 

cruises #403 to #409. 

For QE there are cruise dates from 10-Mar-24 to 21-Jun-24, cruise numbers #411 to #419, all in the Japan region.

There are no QV cruises mentioned at all!

This email does not specify how many dance hosts are going to be hired for each passage.

Since Cunard is NOT seeking dance hosts for cruises from NY on 3-Jan-24 on QM2 though there are no ports from Jan. 3 to Jan. 11 (NY-Southampton) and there were 6 dance hosts before the pandemic - it is obvious that other Transatlantic Crossings are not looking to add dance hosts.

It is sad news for my booking NY-Southampton-NY in 2024.

The email is signed as

Kind regards,

Jaimi Sheldon

Coordinator, Onboard Programs

Compass Speakers and Entertainment Inc.
Galleria Corporate Centre
2455 East Sunrise Boulevard, Suite #804
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33304 USA
Tel #1 954 568-3801 / Fax #1 954 568-3825
Email:  Coordinator@CompassSpeakers.com

54 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

There is a UK based organisation that provides dance hosts too - and they are very active recruiting for QV.

The UK agency you are referring to is 'Dance Afloat' based in Ipswich.

I count the owner as an acquaintance of mine. I have recently been in conversation with Dance Afloat , they gave me to understand that they are still working with Cunard to provide dance hosts for future itineraries, however, not all ships in the Cunard fleet will have a full contingent .

I was given to understand there is a shortage of 'Suitable' dance hosts to cover all ships in the Cunard fleet ( expect Queen Anne in 24)

The Ipswich UK agency also has provide Dance Hosts for Saga & Fred Olsen .  

• Like 1

Bell Boy, yes - exactly.  It seems the provision of dance hosts is divided between the US and UK agencies to try to cover all the ships if possible.  But as you say it is not straightforward to get enough quality hosts for all voyages on all ships, and with the 4th ship coming on stream next year that will be harder still.  Most dance hosts will do a few one or two week voyages per year, but not more.  So getting two hosts per voyage on one ship if they agreed to do two per year would then need about 20 host pairs - for all four ships that would need 80 pairs of hosts just to have two dance hosts per voyage.  Some dance hosts are dance teachers who need to be running their own studio at home to make a living. If they go on a two week voyage, then they are earning nothing in their studio while they are away.

The dance professionals have in the past taken a 4 to 6 month contract, so to cover all four ships and assuming the dance pros will be on board for say half the year, means you need 8 professional couples. Even then it is not straightforward to attract that number on an ongoing basis.  For the pros it is a job, albeit a pleasant job, but they are away from home and family for an extended period of time every year.

Either way I do hope that Cunard continues to work to satisfy the unique demand from people who love to both dance, and to watch dancing, in the elegance of the  Queens Rooms on all four ships.

When you accept that it's not straightfrorward to get quality hosts, the question becomes "Why?" And that is based on "What is a quality host and what are their expectations?"

My last trip on QE was very disappointing. There was only one lady who was a passable dancer and the hosts were lined up to dance with her.

I'm now taking my business to Costa. A better dance environment, with itineraries and prices that suit me. I hope Cunard is listening.

• Like 1

This may be a ridiculously naive question -- and I've only done one trip on the QM2 (NY/Halifax/Boston/NY), but --- in the evenings on our cruise in the Queen's Room,  there were one or two people that I assumed were female host dancers -- they sat on the side, and they would dance with the various men who asked them. They were excellent dancers, clearly did not really know the men they were dancing with, seemed to never do two dances with the same man...But here, I only see mention of gentlemen hosts. Any idea what this was about?

The ladies that you are referring to ( sitting close to the Ballroom Floor) are not 'Female Hosts' they are female 'paying guests',  ladies travelling alone who enjoy dancing and usually travel Cunard for the very reason Cunard provide Gentleman Hosts to partner them on the dance floor.  

Occasionally amongst the Dance Host team, there may be a 'Female Dance Host ' available to dance with  (as in my case) any single gentlemen dancers ( or ladies if no gentlemen )  

In addition to Gentlemen Hosts, there are often 'solo gentlemen paying guests' ( as in my case being a dancer) who will also occasionally invite a lady onto the floor.       

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bergenbird said:

This may be a ridiculously naive question -- and I've only done one trip on the QM2 (NY/Halifax/Boston/NY), but --- in the evenings on our cruise in the Queen's Room,  there were one or two people that I assumed were female host dancers -- they sat on the side, and they would dance with the various men who asked them. They were excellent dancers, clearly did not really know the men they were dancing with, seemed to never do two dances with the same man...But here, I only see mention of gentlemen hosts. Any idea what this was about?

I don't think the Dance Hosts ever sit.

• Thanks 1

Ay one time, there would always be a couple of excellent (could follow anything you could lead) paying-guest dancers, and several you could work with. I've been very disappointed on my last trips.

But bergenbird's post implies there were not only female paying-guest dancers, but enough male paying-guests to keep them busy.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

I just noticed this thread has had 3k views in one month, and the ballroom article, 1.9k. I wonder if Cunard is listening?

It might be in the best interests of Cunard if at least some of the entertainment managers were reading these threads and taking some notice!