Saturn's Iceland and Norway's Arctic Explorer-July 19-August 2 LIVEish

Clay Clayton

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Crap, the picture says it's loaded but...trust me, it was a long line with unhappy folks who were running late. 

Ah yes - I remember the long line mess at Oslo just about a year ago for us!  It seemed to take forever and was thankful we had allowed time.

• Like 1

Clay, thank you so much for this wonderful trip report and the great photos. We have enjoyed every moment vicariously.  We embark on the same itinerary on Viking Neptune in two weeks time and your journal has given us so many good hints and tips.  We had already been drawn to book Hofnin in Reykjavik and Den Glade Gris in Oslo, and all I can say is, we would have loved for you to join us (or vice versa)!

Looking forward to reading your next trip blog. Skol!

• Thanks 1

We were pleasantly surprised with our Norse Atlantic's Premium Economy experience.  As a low cost carrier our expectations were set pretty low and they definitely exceeded them!  Our first pleasant surprise was when our "light" checked bags which we had worked to get to 15kilos weighted a little over but we weren't charged.  Unfortunately, even though there is plenty of luggage space in Norse's PE, you can't carryon a bag that weighs over 10k. 

Boarding was a little strange, maybe an Oslo thing. They keep everyone out of the gate area and then when they opened the tape, everyone lined up to have passports checked and boarding passes scanned. We saw some other airlines at Oslo who appeared to do this for their biz class customers while everyone else waited outside the velvet rope.  Anyway, once everyone was inside the enclosed gate area, they announced boarding for those needing assistance and Groups 1-3.  I think that may be all boarding groups?  

Anyway, we were soon on board and it appeared we would make an on-time (if not early) departure.  Alas, waiting on "paperwork" to be completed made us 45 minutes late leaving.  We arrived in Fort Lauderdale ontime only to have an empty plane (waiting to be towed to a hangar) at our gate and then we finally made it to the gate, it took another 14 minutes for someone to operate the jetway. Then once we got to the baggage claim, it took another 40 minutes for our bags to appear. Fort Lauderdale Airport really needs to work on this if they want to have international flights. Two hours from landing to getting to Customs and Immigration is too long.  Thank goodness we have Global Entry or we would probably have been another 45 minutes. 

None of the delays after landing were likely Norse Air's doing.  We had a great flight attendant (Florida based originally from Texas) who made our flight so nice. We had expected based on research and their website a so-so meal and a snack before landing each served with a beverage. We expected everything else to come with a charge so we had brought along our quietvox earphone from Viking, a couple of empty water bottles we refilled in the airport and snacks. But we were served Predeparture beverages (orange or apple juice), cocktails, wine, soda on demand, given earphones and a blanket (a $10 value based on the unseat price card). We had our choice of a white fish with mashed potatoes and cabbage dish or tamarind chicken with rice. Both were more than acceptable. We did have to not eat the salmon starter salad. 

The inflight entertainment selection was just ok. I had a bit of trouble finding three movies I wanted to watch but ended up keeping myself entertained for the 9.5 hour flight. 

We will definitely consider Norse Atlantic next time we fly to Europe, just will try not to return via Fort Lauderdale.  For $700 (Mike looked up NYC to Paris and it's under $500) in old fashioned biz class seats (angled not lie flat) is a good value in our opinion. 

Getting ready to head back to FLL for the Southwest flight home to Raleigh.  Will post some final thoughts in the next day or two. 

IMG_7983.jpeg

IMG_7981.jpeg

IMG_7988.jpeg

IMG_7990.jpeg

IMG_7992.jpeg

IMG_7994.jpeg

IMG_7997.jpeg

• Like 4

Forgot to mention how weird it was to see a sunset last night as we arrived in Fort Lauderdale. After 20 days of 24 hours of sunlight for almost all of them (it was actually dark in Oslo when I got up one night at 3 am or so) it was very strange to go to bed in darkness😢

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We were pleasantly surprised with our Norse Atlantic's Premium Economy experience.  As a low cost carrier our expectations were set pretty low and they definitely exceeded them!  Our first pleasant surprise was when our "light" checked bags which we had worked to get to 15kilos weighted a little over but we weren't charged.  Unfortunately, even though there is plenty of luggage space in Norse's PE, you can't carryon a bag that weighs over 10k. 

Boarding was a little strange, maybe an Oslo thing. They keep everyone out of the gate area and then when they opened the tape, everyone lined up to have passports checked and boarding passes scanned. We saw some other airlines at Oslo who appeared to do this for their biz class customers while everyone else waited outside the velvet rope.  Anyway, once everyone was inside the enclosed gate area, they announced boarding for those needing assistance and Groups 1-3.  I think that may be all boarding groups?  

Anyway, we were soon on board and it appeared we would make an on-time (if not early) departure.  Alas, waiting on "paperwork" to be completed made us 45 minutes late leaving.  We arrived in Fort Lauderdale ontime only to have an empty plane (waiting to be towed to a hangar) at our gate and then we finally made it to the gate, it took another 14 minutes for someone to operate the jetway. Then once we got to the baggage claim, it took another 40 minutes for our bags to appear. Fort Lauderdale Airport really needs to work on this if they want to have international flights. Two hours from landing to getting to Customs and Immigration is too long.  Thank goodness we have Global Entry or we would probably have been another 45 minutes. 

None of the delays after landing were likely Norse Air's doing.  We had a great flight attendant (Florida based originally from Texas) who made our flight so nice. We had expected based on research and their website a so-so meal and a snack before landing each served with a beverage. We expected everything else to come with a charge so we had brought along our quietvox earphone from Viking, a couple of empty water bottles we refilled in the airport and snacks. But we were served Predeparture beverages (orange or apple juice), cocktails, wine, soda on demand, given earphones and a blanket (a $10 value based on the unseat price card). We had our choice of a white fish with mashed potatoes and cabbage dish or tamarind chicken with rice. Both were more than acceptable. We did have to not eat the salmon starter salad. 

The inflight entertainment selection was just ok. I had a bit of trouble finding three movies I wanted to watch but ended up keeping myself entertained for the 9.5 hour flight. 

We will definitely consider Norse Atlantic next time we fly to Europe, just will try not to return via Fort Lauderdale.  For $700 (Mike looked up NYC to Paris and it's under $500) in old fashioned biz class seats (angled not lie flat) is a good value in our opinion. 

Getting ready to head back to FLL for the Southwest flight home to Raleigh.  Will post some final thoughts in the next day or two. 

IMG_7983.jpeg

IMG_7981.jpeg

IMG_7988.jpeg

IMG_7990.jpeg

IMG_7992.jpeg

IMG_7994.jpeg

IMG_7997.jpeg

Very glad to hear this detail on your flight.  Much more positive than I would have expected, given other reviews, etc.  I agree, those prices across the Atlantic to Europe in old-style business class seats are very reasonable!  

16 hours ago, depplep said:

So grateful for this review. I'm surprised you get any non stops from Raleigh. I've been through there and it's a small airport. Looking forward to your next review.

Must of been awhile!  We have a number of long haul international nonstops in addition to the domestic ones.  

IMG_8013.jpeg

13 hours ago, aungrl said:

Very glad to hear this detail on your flight.  Much more positive than I would have expected, given other reviews, etc.  I agree, those prices across the Atlantic to Europe in old-style business class seats are very reasonable!  

I think it's all about your expectations. If you are expecting business class then you'll be disappointed. If you're expecting more room and a lean cuisine type meal, then you'll be pleasantly surprised.  We had an elderly couple in front of us in PE when they boarded the Iceland Air's flight to Reykjavik complaining to their daughter (who was sitting in the back) that they didn't have "pods".  "You meant the seat doesn't lie flat?"  "No mom, I told you that wasn't what you were buying before you bought it".  YouTube is always our friend when making decisions on airlines and cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We flew back SAS to London, Virgin Atlantic to Orlando.  The passport control for SAS was less than 5 minutes at 7:15am.  

For our 7:55 flight we got to the airport a little before 6am, and spent much of the time in the SAS club.  The security line was also about 5 minutes. If you have priority boarding you have a bit more leeway.  And no, the SAS business class seats didn’t lie flat, or even go back as far as the Icelandic air seats.  Not even domestic first class, they were the same seats as the rest of the plane, but you got a box breakfast.  And you got priority security lines.

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I think it's all about your expectations. If you are expecting business class then you'll be disappointed. If you're expecting more room and a lean cuisine type meal, then you'll be pleasantly surprised.  We had an elderly couple in front of us in PE when they boarded the Iceland Air's flight to Reykjavik complaining to their daughter (who was sitting in the back) that they didn't have "pods".  "You meant the seat doesn't lie flat?"  "No mom, I told you that wasn't what you were buying before you bought it".  YouTube is always our friend when making decisions on airlines and cruises. 

Yes, my mental picture of Norse Air was much more "lean cuisine" - or bag of chips - than what you guys experienced.  Doesn't sound like you got lucky, either; sounds to me more like this is standard operations for them.  Of course every flight can vary, and maybe this WAS one-off, but I'm glad that it was so positive for you both to end your trip on a high note.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Must of been awhile!  We have a number of long haul international nonstops in addition to the domestic ones.  

IMG_8013.jpeg

Actually, I flew Tampa to RDU last year but I had no idea there were those international non stops solely based on the size of the airport and the fact that CLT is a much larger international airport.  Very interesting. 

4 hours ago, depplep said:

Actually, I flew Tampa to RDU last year but I had no idea there were those international non stops solely based on the size of the airport and the fact that CLT is a much larger international airport.  Very interesting. 

Maybe you flew into Terminal 1? It's where Southwest and other LLCs tend to gate.  Terminal 2 is much newer and has the international flights as well as AA & DL as the dominant airlines with UA, Alaska, and JetBlue also using it. I volunteer at the airport so if you're through there be sure to say hi!

15 hours ago, depplep said:
  • I did fly Southwest and I may be through there again as I have family in the area. I will absolutely look for you.

If you can fly another airline you can see our beautiful Terminal 2. 

IMG_8019.webp

IMG_8020.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

Final Thoughts

As always it was great to be back aboard a Viking ship. However, there were some differences from our previous cruises, the last of which was one of the Welcome Back around Iceland ones in 2021.  

The most noticeable of these was the constantly changing menus.  The menus in the Restaurant and the World Cafe seemed to changed throughout the cruise from what was posted on the app at the beginning of the cruise.  Even more strange was on the day, things posted on the app menu as well as the  electronic ones around the ship didn't accurately reflect what was actually being served. The best example of this was the "Scottish Lobster Cocktail" posted both on the app and the electronic menu in the WC but what was offered was the same dish as the Norwegian Shrimp Salad from the previous day. When I brought this to the attention of Restaurant Manager Angela she was surprised and I saw her discussing with the Chef.  But this was almost a daily occurrence. Not really a big deal but so weird when you know that they have to know ahead of time what they are serving. We were also disappointed in Manfredi's as I noted previously. Hopefully it was just an off night or due to having to served 11 folks at the same time but what they did to Mike's octopus was a crime. 😢

This was the first cruise where the buses used for excursions were almost always full to capacity. I don't know if this was due to a lack of available buses or if the high cost of optional excursions added to the number of folks taking the included excursions. In either case it was the first time we saw folks unable to sit together due to a lack of seats. 

This was also the first cruise where I found one of the Lecturers less than prepared. I only attended one of his lecturers so hopefully it was just that particular presentation where he didn't seem to know his material and tended to be reading off the slide. I know our traveling companions really enjoyed one of the other lecturer's presentations. Unfortunately, there did not seem to be the diversity of lectures that have been on our previous cruises-everything was history and military.  I missed having a cultural type lecturer aboard. 

Enough negativity, the crew as always are what makes the cruise and with only two exceptions, the ones we interacted with were wonderful-friendly, helpful, personable. They are Viking's best assets. It was great to see familiar faces and add new ones that we will hope to see on future cruises. 

The itinerary met our expectations though we did suggest in our survey that they consider spending only one day in Longyearbyen and doing an overnight in Tromsø. We were so lucky to have incredible weather and Norway is truly a beautiful country.  Mike and I look forward to returning someday soon.  

So unless someone has any questions, this ends the Live(ish) thread until next time.  Hopefully that will be before March 2025 which is the next cruise we have booked.  I'll be keeping an eye on the promo thread hoping for a deal!  If you want to keep up with our non cruise lives, join us over on Instagram where we post as ClaynMike.

Happy Cruising!

IMG_7585.jpeg

IMG_7586.jpeg

IMG_7666.jpeg

IMG_7429.jpeg

IMG_7736.jpeg

• Like 13

Clay,

Again thank your final remarks about  you so much for your trip report !

I appreciate your final moments  about the changing menu on your cruise  and the Manfredi's  experience . Serving 11 people at table is a work of art to make sure all the food  arrives on time and is well prepared. Sorry the food was not good.

What March 2025 cruise have you booked ? Is it by any chance  the Northern Light cruise on their brand new ship?  

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Clay,

Again thank your final remarks about  you so much for your trip report !

I appreciate your final moments  about the changing menu on your cruise  and the Manfredi's  experience . Serving 11 people at table is a work of art to make sure all the food  arrives on time and is well prepared. Sorry the food was not good.

What March 2025 cruise have you booked ? Is it by any chance  the Northern Light cruise on their brand new ship?  

No, we have booked the Southern Atlantic Crossing.   While we would like to do the Northern Lights, after falling in love with Norway, we might try to do a month or so there on land and that way hopefully guarantee seeing the Northern Lights. But who knows...if a promo comes along next January, we might change our minds.  And, a World Cruise is still something we pine after.  I put together a spreadsheet yesterday comparing the cost of it to three individual cruises we would like to do and basically it proved what a good value the WC is....if something that expensive can ever be called a value😂

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

No, we have booked the Southern Atlantic Crossing.   While we would like to do the Northern Lights, after falling in love with Norway, we might try to do a month or so there on land and that way hopefully guarantee seeing the Northern Lights. But who knows...if a promo comes along next January, we might change our minds.  And, a World Cruise is still something we pine after.  I put together a spreadsheet yesterday comparing the cost of it to three individual cruises we would like to do and basically it proved what a good value the WC is....if something that expensive can ever be called a value😂

Good for you and Mike! on your trip to Norway,  try to go to Sweden also and take a ferry to Mariehamn Arland Island . that little piece of earth stole my heart.

Spreadsheet and all, a WC  if it is a possibility, make it a reality.🤞

My only regret  is I did not go to Scandinavia  when I was younger.But it was so much more expensive than  cruising or land trip in the Italy, Greece, Turkey or Spain. Silly me I could have used a spreadsheet to figure it out and plan way ahead. 🙂

Edited by Azulann
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Final Thoughts

As always it was great to be back aboard a Viking ship. However, there were some differences from our previous cruises, the last of which was one of the Welcome Back around Iceland ones in 2021.  

The most noticeable of these was the constantly changing menus.  The menus in the Restaurant and the World Cafe seemed to changed throughout the cruise from what was posted on the app at the beginning of the cruise.  Even more strange was on the day, things posted on the app menu as well as the  electronic ones around the ship didn't accurately reflect what was actually being served. The best example of this was the "Scottish Lobster Cocktail" posted both on the app and the electronic menu in the WC but what was offered was the same dish as the Norwegian Shrimp Salad from the previous day. When I brought this to the attention of Restaurant Manager Angela she was surprised and I saw her discussing with the Chef.  But this was almost a daily occurrence. Not really a big deal but so weird when you know that they have to know ahead of time what they are serving. We were also disappointed in Manfredi's as I noted previously. Hopefully it was just an off night or due to having to served 11 folks at the same time but what they did to Mike's octopus was a crime. 😢

This was the first cruise where the buses used for excursions were almost always full to capacity. I don't know if this was due to a lack of available buses or if the high cost of optional excursions added to the number of folks taking the included excursions. In either case it was the first time we saw folks unable to sit together due to a lack of seats. 

This was also the first cruise where I found one of the Lecturers less than prepared. I only attended one of his lecturers so hopefully it was just that particular presentation where he didn't seem to know his material and tended to be reading off the slide. I know our traveling companions really enjoyed one of the other lecturer's presentations. Unfortunately, there did not seem to be the diversity of lectures that have been on our previous cruises-everything was history and military.  I missed having a cultural type lecturer aboard. 

Enough negativity, the crew as always are what makes the cruise and with only two exceptions, the ones we interacted with were wonderful-friendly, helpful, personable. They are Viking's best assets. It was great to see familiar faces and add new ones that we will hope to see on future cruises. 

The itinerary met our expectations though we did suggest in our survey that they consider spending only one day in Longyearbyen and doing an overnight in Tromsø. We were so lucky to have incredible weather and Norway is truly a beautiful country.  Mike and I look forward to returning someday soon.  

So unless someone has any questions, this ends the Live(ish) thread until next time.  Hopefully that will be before March 2025 which is the next cruise we have booked.  I'll be keeping an eye on the promo thread hoping for a deal!  If you want to keep up with our non cruise lives, join us over on Instagram where we post as ClaynMike.

Happy Cruising!

Clay - again thank you for your wonderful posts on this cruise!  Your points are all well taken.  We have taken several Viking Ocean cruises the past year, and yes, I think 2 things contribute to the buses being full nowadays (although everyone could always sit with their partner) - the cost of tour operators these days post COVID, resulting in much higher costs for specific optional excursions and the increased interest in included tours as the median age increases and the optional tour costs increase.

We look forward to seeing you and Mike, finally, on the March 2025 Southern Atlantic crossing Viking Jupiter.  

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

Also the price has increased and availability of tour busses has decreased during the past 24 months.  The availability is likely even slimmer as you move away from population centers such as Northern Norway 

In other words, the tourism industry infrastrcture is still rebounding from the Covid shutdown. Demand still exceeds supply and it will be a while until things are back in balance. If we want to travel, we have to understand that this is the new reality.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

In other words, the tourism industry infrastrcture is still rebounding from the Covid shutdown. Demand still exceeds supply and it will be a while until things are back in balance. If we want to travel, we have to understand that this is the new reality.

Well stated!

I think a lot of cruisers have not thought this through or factored this into their expectations.  I like your point that we have to understand this new reality and we each make our own decision as to whether we wish to participate in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1