Keratin Treatment Onboard

Has anyone ever done one of these? Am I crazy for even considering it? 

I have wavy/curly 3c-ish hair with a top layer that frizzes like it's in it's job description. I'm seriously considering one of those mini-keratin treatments at sea as a splurge -- we'll be on the cruise for the first half of a 3 week trip where it's going to be roughly the temperature of the surface of the sun and 80% humidity the whole time. I don't have time to have anything done at my salon at home before we go (and I'm super busy and never remember to call and schedule anything anyway) and I love the idea of a treatment that would get me reduced frizz for 6+ weeks without necessarily giving me stick-straight hair. But like most women I'm wary of a new salon and a new treatment and getting it done at sea. What do you think?

• Like 2

My hair is fine and color treated and the first time I had a full (vs express) Keratin treatment, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven.  For the first time ever my hair was silky smooth, didn't frizz or kink in humid weather and it even took less time to dry.  The express service doesn't take near as much time but be aware of the aftercare reqt to use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.  I'm sure you can buy the products on board but they'll probably be pricey compared to buying at home.  Because the process entails flat-ironing thin sections of hair after the Keratin is applied (tedious!), if you decide to go ahead, perhaps book a free consultation with the stylist so you can get a feel for his/her experience and expertise.  I once had a poor express treatment with a novice; my hair didn't fall out or break ir turn weird colors but the treatment was expensive and just didn't last as long as expected.  If you decide to go for it. I think you'll love it.  Good luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Has anyone ever done one of these? Am I crazy for even considering it? 

I have wavy/curly 3c-ish hair with a top layer that frizzes like it's in its job description. I'm seriously considering one of those mini-keratin treatments at sea as a splurge -- we'll be on the cruise for the first half of a 3 week trip where it's going to be roughly the temperature of the surface of the sun and 80% humidity the whole time.

I think you should do it "as a splurge". I have mind-of-its-own-wavy and very very short short hair (see my avatar) and know nothing about this treatment, but the others who answered are for it. I don't think trepidation about trying something new should stop you -- you're on a CRUISE!  

I think you should carve out a bit of time and have a real stylist do this the week before your cruise.  Who knows what kind of person you'd get on a cruise and whether they have any expertise or not?  I just had some new Japanese hair masque (my very first experience with anything like this).  I'll get the details and post them in a couple of days, I'm travelling.  The masque was a resounding success.  My hair looks as good as it did ten years ago.

• Like 1

Continued ... so I've been coloring my hair since I was 17.  I am now (a very young) 77.  It was naturally curly/wavy and was a gorgeous auburn color, nobody knew that I colored it.  Then the FDA took Red Dye #whatever off the market because they fed a quart of it to a rat and the rat died.  My auburn hair would fade away in a couple of weeks. So I then just had my brown hair highlighted every few months.  God forbid I should just have grey hair.  I've never needed to 'style my hair', I just put a roller in my bangs and brush it all off my face.  

About ten years ago, my hair just started 'getting ugly' ... wiry, it never looked quite right.  I attributed  it to old age.  Last time I was in for a cut and highlight, Lieu started going on about this Japanese hair masque stuff.  I have NEVER believed any advertising of any personal care item in my life ... I know that 'protein does not penetrate the hair shaft' and you can't get rid of wrinkles with an expensive cream ... most everything is just hype aimed at gullible women.  But for some reason I told Lieu to go ahead  this time.  She used "milbon professional illuminating glow #6".  Formulated in Japan, made in Thailand, imported/distributed from New York.  I was stunned that my hair looks seriously good again ... people actually remark on it.  It costs $90 and lasts 2 months.  I told my husband that I don't care what it costs, I'll keep using it the rest of my life!  Lieu owns the salon, so she gives me a discount.  I expect it's a type of keratin treatment, but really don't know.  And don't care!   I just think that it's best to get stuff like this done by a real professional; stylists on cruise ships never see their clients again, so they may not offer the same level of expertise.         

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, NicolaNerthus said:

I believe they do keratin complex on the ship. I would skip the express version,  and go with the full treatment.  I use this in my salon,  and the express has not been impressing me

This is good to know, Nicola, thank you.  I've gotten two Milbon treatments (not sure if that's keratin or not) from my hairdresser, and they've really revitalized my hair.  I'm 77 and have been coloring it in various ways since I was 17(!).  Did it myself for 20 years and professionally since.  I now pay about $95 for a  treatment that  lasts 6-8 weeks.  I'm in Northern California; a haircut is $65 and color/highlights about $175, so my 'hair' is a fairly big expense.  Lieu includes a little pack of 4 vials of 'masque #6' that I use instead of my regular conditioner; I wash my hair about twice a week.  I also buy all my hair products from dear Lieu.  My question is ... can I do the Milbon treatment at home myself or is the professional treatment that much better?  I really need to cut my expenses a bit since we're now formally retired.  I would ask Lieu, but she's Vietnamese and I can barely understand a word she says!  Doesn't matter usually, she's a wizard with my hair.    Thanks in advance!

I have gotten the keratin treatment on cruise ships several times.  I have long, color-treated, curly hair with a tendency to frizz.  The keratin treatment is nice -- smooths it (but does not make it stick straight) and keeps it from frizzing.  It lasts about two months.  I have not had a bad experience with this on a cruise ship.  

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 11:58 PM, NicolaNerthus said:

I believe they do keratin complex on the ship. I would skip the express version,  and go with the full treatment.  I use this in my salon,  and the express has not been impressing me

I second your thoughts on the express Keratin treatment; it just doesn't seem to work well for me.  My color-treated hair is fine and naturally curly but not in a good way as it frizzes more than curls unless I use a flat iron or hot rollers.  I've had wonderful success with a product called Inca Glow (the express version works like a charm on my hair) but I moved a few years ago and it doesn't seem to be available in my area.  Thinking about buying the kit myself and begging my stylist to do the flat iron part of the treatment. 🤣

• 3 months later...

I do the full strength Keratin treatment a couple of times a year from the salon that colors my hair (appointments are very hard to get and have to be scheduled months in advance), and then in between I get the express treatment, also about twice a year from a local salon where I just get my hair washed and styled.  I have kinky, curly, frizzy, color treated hair.  Both treatments definitely make my hair more manageable and less frizzy.  I plan to have a full strength treatment before my next cruise.  I will be spending six weeks in Europe before sailing back to the states.  I hope I can find a salon to provide a color and keratin touch up at some point during my European traveling.