New to Celebrity: Excursion Question

daybrake

We will be taking our first cruise on Celebrity Equinox in December.  I booked an excursion online in the Manage Reservation area of Celebrity's website.  The excursion is advertised at $77.99 and that is what shows on the invoice at the excursion cost in the Order History section.  However -- then the invoice indicates that $87.99 was charged to my credit card for payment of this $77.99 excursion with no detail explaining what the additional $10 represents.  I confirmed on my credit card statement that $87.99 is what has been charged.  Does anyone know why Celebrity would charge $10 more than what is advertised for the excursion? 

They have a discount for booking before your cruise, maybe the discount wasn’t applied or the flash sale ended. Worth a phone call to customer service I’d say. There should not be be a service fee or tax situation. If you pre buy speciality restaurants or spa treatments they do add gratuity though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been having the same problem with booking shore excursions on my Celebrity cruise. In many instances, the price displayed increases when you click on “reserve”. On the suggestion of customer service, I sent an email to the shore excursion dept. yesterday, with a “screen shot” of the lower price and am waiting for a reply, I wonder how many people are paying higher prices and not aware of it.

13 minutes ago, jshli said:

. . .  sent an email to the shore excursion dept. yesterday, with a “screen shot” of the lower price and am waiting for a reply, 

@jshli -- Would you share the email address of the shore excursion dept.  I will also send a "screen shot" plus a copy of my Order History showing the lower price, and the email confirmation that quotes the lower price but then charges the higher price to my credit card.  Thanks!

@jshli  Here is the response that I received from them. 

"1. Please note that to preserve our guest's information protected, our department does not have access to any kind of financial information and because of that, we are unable to assist with your price verification request."

I sent them all the documentation (screen prints, order history, and email confirmation, so they should have been able to review the docs and make the adjustment.

This will be my first cruise on Celebrity -- hope it gets better than this.

7 hours ago, daybrake said:

@jshli  Here is the response that I received from them. 

"1. Please note that to preserve our guest's information protected, our department does not have access to any kind of financial information and because of that, we are unable to assist with your price verification request."

I sent them all the documentation (screen prints, order history, and email confirmation, so they should have been able to review the docs and make the adjustment.

This will be my first cruise on Celebrity -- hope it gets better than this.

This is your first cruise on Celebrity?  I think it's good that they protect your private financial information.  It limits what they can do but certainly there must be another department that could make the change?

Like you, I was very unhappy with the response of the shore excursion dept.   Since I am an elite member, I called the Captain’s Club/Loyalty Club dept. this morning and the gentleman who answered was very helpful. Since this is your 1st Celebrity cruise, I am not sure if they can be of any help, but you can give it a try.

Recently I got a email notifying me that I owed $47 on an excursion I had purchased months ago using OBC.  The excursion was paid in full.  I called the regular customer service number. No hold time and the rep understood my issue, looked into the info and then escalated his proposed solution to the Resolution Dept.  He was on hold waiting for them for 30+ minutes but the problem was fixed and he sent confirmation email before we hung up.

Try the regular 800 again, maybe you will get a more experienced rep who can assist.

• Thanks 1

You need to call.  You should be able to call the number for existing reservations.  It sure looks like they should credit $10 back to your CC.   If you don't get anywhere I would challenge the charge with the credit card company.

• Existing Reservations 1-888-751-7804
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jshli said:

Like you, I was very unhappy with the response of the shore excursion dept.   Since I am an elite member, I called the Captain’s Club/Loyalty Club dept. this morning and the gentleman who answered was very helpful. Since this is your 1st Celebrity cruise, I am not sure if they can be of any help, but you can give it a try.

@jshli  Thanks.  I will give the Captain's Club number a try.  The same thing happened on another excursion that I just purchased today.  It was advertised as $69.99, the Order History shows amount of $69.99, and they charged my credit card $78.99.

I checked my shore excursion option on the Oct 15th to 22nd Pacifc Coast Celebrity sailing and they are all sold out.  Now what?

I'm new to.cruisung.  I am hoping g to see the Muir woods , full tour of San Francisco, walking tour through Caralina Island or a beach day, guided tour through Santa Barabara.  Any suggestions would be so helpful.

25 minutes ago, Sunshine2023 said:

Would anyone have information on buying private tours through Celebrity?

Thank you!

Do yourself a favor (and save a LOT of money) and do NOT buy a private tour thru Celebrity.  Either join an existing small group (check the roll call) or ask in the Ports section for recommendations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunshine2023 said:

I checked my shore excursion option on the Oct 15th to 22nd Pacifc Coast Celebrity sailing and they are all sold out.  Now what?

I'm new to.cruisung.  I am hoping g to see the Muir woods , full tour of San Francisco, walking tour through Caralina Island or a beach day, guided tour through Santa Barabara.  Any suggestions would be so helpful.

In San Francisco and Santa Barbara there are HOHO (hop on hop off) trolleys near the ship.  Very easy to do on your own.  We did a food tour in Catalina that was interesting and a lot of fun.  It is also very easy to just walk around on your own.  I'm not sure about Muir Woods as to how far away it is, etc. but you can look on Viatour or Tripadvisor to see what kinds of tours might be available.  If it's not too close then you might want to take a ship's tour to ensure  you get back in time.  If one is available.  

Wherever we are, we always make sure we are back at the ship at least 1 hour before sail away time.  You have to be onboard 30 minutes before, but we like to allow extra time to be sure.

How can I get the hop on bus from the port in San Diego?

Thanks all!

11 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

In San Francisco and Santa Barbara there are HOHO (hop on hop off) trolleys near the ship.  Very easy to do on your own.  We did a food tour in Catalina that was interesting and a lot of fun.  It is also very easy to just walk around on your own.  I'm not sure about Muir Woods as to how far away it is, etc. but you can look on Viatour or Tripadvisor to see what kinds of tours might be available.  If it's not too close then you might want to take a ship's tour to ensure  you get back in time.  If one is available.  

Wherever we are, we always make sure we are back at the ship at least 1 hour before sail away time.  You have to be onboard 30 minutes before, but we like to allow extra time to be sure.

Thank you!

49 minutes ago, Sunshine2023 said:

How can I get the hop on bus from the port in San Diego?

Thanks all!

Thank you!

Do you mean hiring a private car and private guide?

if you mean private tour you contact the tour company.

Catalina - rent a golf cart and drive around the island.  The golf cart place will give you a map.  You can also walk around Avalon. It's a small island and easy to see the sights walking or driving a cart.