Allegedly unsafe “hop-on, hop-off” bus tours in New York City

GTJ

Recently published by Patch is an article relating to the safe operation of the “hop-on, hop-off” bus tours than many cruise passengers seem to favor using as part of their touring of New York City before or after their cruise. http://www.patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/nyc-double-decker-buses-are-disaster-waiting-happen-guides-say

Among allegations being made is that the operators of these buses routinely drive recklessly, ignoring red traffic signals, and giving scant attention to safety. A recent collision resulting from one of these bus drivers passing a red traffic signal injured 67 people, with 32 hospitalized. “[T]ourists themselves have flooded sites such as Tripadvisor with bad and ‘scary’ reviews.” Apparently some of the bus drivers have been accused of verbally abusing the passengers traveling on their vehicles.

Caveat emptor. It is always good to thoroughly research planned excursions, and the companies operating them. Transportation is a dangerous activity that should be taken seriously.

3 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Sounds like any bike rider in NYC...

Perhaps "many" rather than "any"? I stop at red traffic signals while bicycling!

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

Perhaps "many" rather than "any"? I stop at red traffic signals while bicycling!

I would have to counter with most instead of many, everyday I cross with the light to get to work and bike riders don't stop for pedestrians in crosswalk with the light and theirs is red.

Maybe people will not use the HoHo Buses and rent a CitiBike to tour NYC, just use the Lyft app.

46 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

I would have to counter with most instead of many . . . .

Yes, possibly "most." There's a few stories of reckless bicyclists who have caused serious injury or death, though those are the exceptions rather than the rule. Reckless motorists--including bus drivers--are a greater risk.

50 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

Maybe people will not use the HoHo Buses and rent a CitiBike to tour NYC, just use the Lyft app.

The one-day unlimited MetroCard had been a great option for visitors, and it is too bad it has been discontinued. Generally MaBSTOA drivers are responsible (though again, many exceptions). I have never used Citibike, though I understand their utility for some people . . . but bicycling in Manhattan can be challenging to some people. In my opinion the best way to see NYC, generally, is on foot. Use the subway between neighborhoods, but otherwise walking is best.

I see tourists riding those Citibikes in midtown without helmets 🫣. Riding along First Ave near the turn into the Midtown Tunnel. 

I think the double decker busses are safe enough. Just as safe as those Bolt busses by the Javitts Center. 

3 hours ago, Langoustine said:

Bolt Buses went out of business in 2021. It was a subsidiary of Greyhound.

Actually, not a subsidiary but a division, of Greyhound Lines. As well, the service on the east coast being operated as a joint venture with Peter Pan Bus Lines pursuant to a pooling agreement approved by the U.S. Surface Transportation Board, but the actual operator remained Greyhound Lines.

15 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Didn't Flix Bus buy Greyhound for $78 Million in 2021

Almost . . . they are sister corporations. Flix North America Inc. is the parent corporation that owns both Greyhound Lines, Inc., and FlixBus, Inc. (Flix North America Inc. is, itself, an American subsidiary of Flix SE, a German corporation). Greyhound Lines, Inc., is an actual carrier (i.e., a bus company), while FlixBus, Inc., is putatively a broker (i.e., a travel agency that arranges for bus transportation, but does not, itself, operate any buses). Thus, whenever someone buys a bus ticket from FlixBus, Inc., they're actually purchasing transportation that will be provided by an independent bus company (the name of which may be identified by FlixBus, Inc., on its website and on the ticket, and by the operating bus company on the side of its bus). If FlixBus, Inc., were a carrier itself, then there would have to be a pooling agreement approved by the U.S. Surface Transportation Board because they are both commonly-owned.